The Qualifications - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2002, 06:15 Thread Starter
Premier Player

The Qualifications

Are we going to make it this time ?
The first step is the match against Belgium.We are playing in Brussels.
The Bulgarian National team is there-ready for a fight (so they say
Almost no interest from the journalists in Belgium.Nobody was waiting for our NT at the airport.
I don't know-without Berbo and Gonzo....
On top of all there were problem with the tickets and the shirts of the players That's something normal I suppose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2002, 10:49
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
I have a good feeling about thios camaign. Dont ask me why
Look the thing is that we just took tha place of Scotland from the last WC Qs.And Scotland missed out on teh 1 or 2 place by few points or one game. Neither Croatia nor Belgium are so much superior though they probably have better teams. We know our strength - winn all at home and get few points away. We almost did that lasy Q but the home games against Check and Danes blew t ... So this game is definitely not as important as they say. A draw will be great but a loss wont be a nightmare as the most important ones are to come....

Hope we will beet the Begiums as I have few things for Steph ...

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2002, 11:30 Thread Starter
Premier Player

It seems that we are going to play for a draw.Most probably the coach will play Chilikov and Manchev
I expect this game with great enthusiaism ,indeed:

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2002, 14:29 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Martin Petrov and Chilikov in attack
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2002, 20:10 Thread Starter
Premier Player

End of the first half!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Belgium-Bulgaria 0-1
I am on top of the world: We have several more chances-Peev and Jancovic missed to score.But Jancovic did it once so we forgive him
All the players perform just great but Milen Petkov and Stenli are simply incomparable.No.I am not overexcited:After 45 minutes I will be happy
Let's hope so
On the Tv I can see the Bulgarian group of supporters-lots of them on the stadium
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2002, 22:46
xtc
International

Teams: J.......
0-2 Hurra!!!

I can only pretend for the yellow card on Milen Petkov (or was it Stilian Petrov). Some Belgian guy hit him in hte back our player fell o the ground and instead of booking the belgian - the ref gave to our player a card.

A good match I say.
I thought that we are full crap but now I ain't sure about it

The press in belgium was way too haughty, arrogant ad stucked-up and they thought that we are easy to beat. Guess what happens, ha!

The first goal was after a cool attack on the left by Martin Petrov and a cross. Zoran Iankovich scored.

The 2nd one was kinda lucky after a "rikoshet" into the belgium wall in front of a set piece.

Besides - nice attacks with one touch.

May some say that we are just poor and lucky, but whoever follows the NT knows that there is a big progress.

However, there is still a problem with the defence.

Ciaos.

VENI. VIDI. VICI.

Last edited by xtc; September 7th, 2002 at 22:57.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2002, 04:39
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Saturday, September 7, 2002
Full-time: Belgium 0 - 2 Bulgaria
Soccernet.com

BRUSSELS, Sept 7 (Reuters) - Belgium, under the leadership of new coach Aime Antheunis, made a disappointing start to their European championship qualifying campaign on Saturday when they lost 2-0 at home to Bulgaria.

Playing for the first time in the King Baudoin stadium since the World Cup qualifiers, the Red Devils dominated the opening minutes of the game inspired by striker Emile Mpenza.

Much had been expected of Antheunis's new look team, created after the departure of players including inspirational former captain Marc Wilmots, with fireworks marking the start of the game and scheduled to reappear at the final whistle in the event of a Belgian victory.

But home hopes were dashed when Bulgaria took the lead in the 16th minute after Martin Petrov sent a long ball to Zoran Jankovic who smashed it into the net.

The Bulgarians again looked dangerous a few minutes before halftime when midfielder Georgi Peev swerved past three Belgian defenders to fire a shot against the post.

Bulgaria's victory was complete when Krassimir Balakov cleverly dummied a free kick, opening the way for Stilian Petrov to smash the ball through a gap in the Belgian wall for a second goal in the 63rd minute.

'Not only did we lose at home but we lost three points - that really hurts,' midfielder Mpo Mpenza said. 'We let them penetrate too much.'

Although Belgium created several opportunities to score, they were unable to finish.

One of their best early chances came in the 12th minute when Emile Mpenza sent a Bart Goor volley to Peter Vanderheyden whose header was saved by Bulgarian goalkeeper Zdravko Zdravkov.

Antheunis, conceding that Bulgaria were the better team, said his players had done their best.

'We can't complain about the players,' he said. 'They marked well, they played well defensively.'

However, the former Anderlecht coach will have to reconsider his strategy if Belgium are to have a chance of qualifying for the European championships which they co-hosted in 2000.

'There is little reason for me to be happy tonight,' said Jan Peeters, president of the Belgian football federation, adding that it was vital that Belgium win their next qualifiers at home.

Belgium also face Croatia, Estonia and Andorra in qualifying group eight.

soccernet
--------------------

congrats on the victory, guys...

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2002, 05:58 Thread Starter
Premier Player

I haven't seen the guys so happy recently.
This yellow card was not necessary-probably Milen overplayed a little....it may have been painful
Plamen Markov said that he is happy , too ,but he doesn't want to celebrate at such an early stage.But after such a game we can't help celebrating
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2002, 12:28
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
GREAT! Great start. Unfortunately I could not see the game as I was at a cousin's wedding. Yep, very interesting things are hapenning here ... I still cant get over some of the stuf I saw overthere ...

Anyway, I am waiting for the papers ... everyone says we played smart and good football. Outplaying Belgium in Brussels is huge and a brilliant start for the campaign ...

WELL DONE!!!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2002, 14:36
Premier Player

Teams: Romania
Good win against the Red Devils !
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2002, 17:09 Thread Starter
Premier Player

You are right, Bono,very smart and beautiful football.Big change in our team and quite a surprise for us all.The defence-which was considered a great problem -was ok except for a few little mistakes
But the youngsters couldn't make it(3-1)....Gurgorov-with the typical for him way of speaking -said that they just couldn't score...In my opinion that's not the only problem
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2002, 17:14 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Thank you DacoRoman
I am very proud of this win
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2002, 17:27
International

Good job Bulgaria - Congrats on the win VS Belgium.
Hope Bulgaria and Romania reach the same playing level we were at in the 90's.!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2002, 10:26 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Thanks, Marius!
In fact our teams will always be trying to reach that level.The glorius past is often very demanding
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2002, 14:53 Thread Starter
Premier Player

The next qualifier is against Croatia in Sofia at the newly reconstructed national stadium.Milen Petkov is not in the team because of his knee injury (in the game against Real Madrid).He'll be out for 2 weeks.Berbo is back(he missed the previous match)
I have no idea about the players Croatia will use.I have heard about Dario Simic.If anybody knows anything....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in