Magi Maleeva at AusOpen - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2002, 01:00 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
Magi Maleeva at AusOpen

After 97 min. MAGI MALEEVA has won her second round game against Hrdlichkova in 2 sets - 6-4 7-5.

A hard game where Magi has won the total of 90 pts against 74 for her oponent ...

Magi made only 13 winners (compared to 30 on the other side) but had just 22 errors against 48 from Hrdlichkova which turn to be the decising factor in the game ... Magi won 7 of her 16 brake points while the check girl made 5 out of 7.

After her first round easier win over Mikaelian from Suitzerland Magi is facing an American in the third round - Liza Raymond.

In case of a success she will most probably face in the 4th round (last 16 !) Venus Williams ...

Magi is seated N 13 at the Open ....

GO MAGI !!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2002, 01:06
xtc
International

Teams: J.......
Haha, Bono is creating a thread :dielaugh:

Well done for Maggi, althought I don't follow tenis that close, especially BG.

WOW - Venus Williams is a monster brrrr....

Hoprefully, Maggi will show here some nice tricks

Bye Bye.

VENI. VIDI. VICI.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2002, 13:53
Legend

The only woman who can beat Venus is herself at this moment, like if her serve game is off , for example.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2002, 23:47 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

WE SHALL SEE

Actually apart from Magi's I am a big, huge Martina Hingis fan for years ... she is still I guess the only one who can compete with the Wiliams and Capriati in her best ... I even went to see her life at teh US open ... a great Hingis fan ...

WE SHALL SEE

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2002, 23:56 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

BRAKING NEWS ... in process!

his is what I have found at the official site www.australianopen.com

Makes you think that anything is possible in few days time

Injured Venus Overcomes Brandi
Wednesday, 16 January, 2002

No.2 seed Venus Williams won her second round match at the 2002 Australian Open virtually on one leg, downing fellow American Kristina Brandi 6-3 6-4 Wednesday night on Rod Laver Arena. But her hopes have dimmed of securing a third straight Grand Slam to add to the 2001 Wimbledon and US Open titles, due to painful tendinitis which flared in her left knee just 20 minutes before the match.

"I was just really fortunate tonight," said a subdued Venus. "God's blessed me to get through this round."

Wearing a bandage on her left knee, Williams was clearly restricted on serve and in her movement around the court. She landed just 47 per cent of her first serves and, in a bid to shorten points, whacked 36 unforced errors to 31 winners.

Between points, she walked around slowly and gingerly. Throughout the match, Venus admitted, she was "real nervous" about whether she would finish it. "I was hoping I could put a little extra mustard on the ball," she explained of her decision to take to the court. "If I was playing a top player I think the chances (of playing at all) would have been very slim. If my dad was here, he probably would've talked me out of it."

Having beaten Brandi before, Williams felt she was in with a chance. There was another motivation: "Serena wasn't able to play [due to an ankle injury], so I just had to give it my all and hang around a little longer."

It speaks volumes for Venus's game and competitive spirit that, even hobbled, she made it through a Grand Slam match in 58 minutes. "Tonight, every point meant so much to me," she said.

Venus first battled with tendinitis of the left knee as long ago as April 1998. Later that year it forced her withdrawal from the season-ending championship. "Old pains revisit you at the most inopportune times," she dryly remarked.

Venus's third-round opponent, the young Slovak Daniela Hantuchova, will be a stiffer challenge for Venus than was the steady Brandi. The last of 32 seeds here, the tall 18-year-old today blitzed Italy's Tathiana Garbin for the loss of just two games. "I'll take some time tomorrow and hope for the best. You never know," said a hopeful Venus.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2002, 00:43
Legend

Well, okay!

Like I said, only Venus can beat herself! An injury or illness counts!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2002, 03:24 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

and Matina Hingis, Osf, and Matina ...

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2002, 11:14
Legend

I hear you, Bono.

Hingis was dominating until Venus showed up. Martina needs to play her smartest game to neutralize Venus' power and speed.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2002, 11:53
xtc
International

Teams: J.......
I'm not into this kind of stuff, but MArtina seems to me to play the "smarter" tenis.
Venus is more muscular.

Bye Bye.

VENI. VIDI. VICI.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2002, 19:03
Fuoriclasse
Legend

Teams: Juventus
Beware of Justine Henin & Kim Clijsters gentlemen !

JUVENTUS AD VITAM AETERNAM
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2002, 19:18
Legend

Oh yeah? What do they look like, Steph?
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2002, 20:03
Fuoriclasse
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsocfan
Oh yeah? What do they look like, Steph?
Who cares ! (that means not too good)
Tennistically wise they (especially Henin) are very gifted !!
Justine is ranked #7 and Kim #5 !!!

But I'm sure you've heard about them, OSF, didn't you !!??

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2002, 20:27
Legend

Of course! I was just pulling your leg, Steph!

Although I admit I do pay special attention to the lookers! :drool:
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2002, 20:41
Fuoriclasse
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsocfan
Although I admit I do pay special attention to the lookers! :drool:
Really !??
I wouldn't have ever imagined...

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2002, 21:18 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I am happy for any European tennis star that can crash down the Americans and especially those muscle gals like Williams and Davenport and even Capriati ... so those two Belgiums are definitely a very nice surprise since they made that great run on Rollan Garros and then at the greatest of all the one and only Wimledon ... but Martina is still the one for me ... and I think both Kim and Justine are on the top part of the draw while Venus and Martina are at the bottom ... which means a semifinal ... if Magi does not get the better of Venus ... which will make me smile at least for a month ...

But Magi still has top overcome Lisa Raymond today ... and that is a very hard thing to do ...

Besides, following yesterday's win in the doubles Magi and Asa Carson will face Martina and Anna Kurnikova in the 2nd round of the womens doubles ... now that is a hard choice since Anna is ... well,Anna - I still hope for Magi to win ... ...

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2002, 21:32
Fuoriclasse
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by bono74
...those two Belgiums...
Dammit Bono !!!
Belgium's inhabitants are called Belgians not Belgiums !!!

I don't know for Maleeva but according to the draw I cantell that either Kim or Justine will reach the semis since they have an easy and they will most probably meet in the quarters...

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2002, 22:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Key, Stph ... just a typo ...

I have few of your countrymen here at the University and they all are very nice guys (unlike some of the French , foe ex. ) ... but you know more and more I think (and they agree, most of them) that it is quite a weird country ... in nicest sence of the world , meaning that those three groups do not have too many things in common ... apart from the NT of course ...

Here is my fav thing about Belgium:

In a famous multi-email from an year ago called "top 10 reasons to be" (about all European nations + North America, Latin one and the down under) my fav reason for Belgium was:

" You are eitther:

a. just like the French but less romantic
b. just like the Dutch but less pragmatic
c. like the Germans "

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2002, 22:23
Fuoriclasse
Legend

Weird suits fine Belgium indeed !!!
We have two national communities here in Belgium: the French-speaking one (which includes myself) and the Dutch-speaking one (which includes gOD) !
Some people find that the country should be divided in two (without mentioning the problem of the capital -Brussels- is bilingual)... And if Belgium was not a kingdom I'm afraid we would be facing serious troubles and ourunity would be somewhat compromised !! :depress:
But I guess there are always untolerant people everywhere !!!

a. True. We're less romantic (except me) but we're also less "big mouth" (sorry to my fellowFrench...I love you )

b. True. We're less pragmatic but we're also less tolerant than in Holland, the archetype of tolerance (>> weed legislation)

c. Yes. In a way we're like Germans tough we're less disciplined ! But we do share the world's best DJ's in the world with them !

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2002, 00:13 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

HAHAHA

Yes, I am pretty familiar with those differencies ... and don't forget the small german group on the east , right ...

Can't agree however about the DJ's thing ... The Swedes and the Israelis have a big share of that ... not to mention the British ... believe it or not Boy Gearge is on the front lines of the techno music for the last 2 years or so ... the Japanese are also not to excluded ... but I guess we might be talking about two different things ... cause when I say DJs I mean electronic music ...

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2002, 00:52
Fuoriclasse
Legend

I don't want to argue here !!
As Ivan would say: "Electro music is love& love is electro music"

You must have heard about them:

2 Fabiola
Absolom
Alana Dante
Astroline
Atlantis 6
Aqualords
Cisco Kid
Da Boy Tommy
Da Rick
D-Devils
DJ Gert
Dee Dee
Fiocco
Ian Van Dahl
Kate Ryan
Lasgo
Lords of Acid
Maurizzio
Medusa
Milk Inc.
Minimalistix
Moogue
Monotone
Nunca
Pat Krimson
Praga Khan
PunkCity
Sylver
Technotronic
La Luna
Virtual Zone
Yves Deruyter
Zippora

That faggy Boy George is a great DJ I must admit !
English DJ's are very good (Paul Van Dyke) and as an Immense fan of UK Garage I loooove Oxide&Neutrino, So Solid Crew, Architects, Wookie, Mis-Teeq, MJ Cole, Cassius and Artful Dodger !

I don't know for the Swedes (give me some examples) but Finland is also one good electro producer with Darude and Bomfunk MC's.

I'm clueless about the Israeli's and the Japanes I admit !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in