Bulgarian stars - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2001, 10:27 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Bulgarian stars

Actually I am and have always been a fan of bulgarian football, even though I really don't know much about it....... really would like to know who are the biggest stars in the bulgarian league from the current stars to the promising youngsters...... grateful for an answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2001, 14:12
xtc
International

Teams: J.......
Hey bro! I don't know why the hell have you choosen the Bg league as one of your favourite, but I'm happily surprised.

Stars? Well, we don't have that BIG european stars, but we have our little domsestic stars.
Let me tell you some:

1. Georgi Ivanov (called Gonzo by the fans): Currently a player of Levski Sofia. I don't know how many goals has he scored in the last years, but I know they are many. The best player in Levski and
repsectively - in BG.

Svetolslav Petrov and Hristo Janev from CSKA. Petrov is a defensive player and was wanted by Dinamo Kyev before time. Hristo Janev is a right winger. Fast, good crosser and dribbler, good free kicks and... awful attitude.
Vladimir Manchev - CSKA, young forward. He is one of the 2 attackers in CSKA in the moment. Fast. His partner in the moment is Luboslav Penev. the 30+ years old veteran. Penev has played for Valencia, Kompostela and Celta before hiring as a CSKA prez. After his bad period as a boss, he is a player again.
Iordan Lechkov - our USA 94' hero. The blad guy, who scored against Germany on the WC quarter finals and made the result 2-1 for us. Seems he has lost of his abilities, but is ok for the BG championship.
Jivko Jelev - U-21 defender. Play for Liteks. He's from the youth academy of FC Beroe (my hometown ). Very good defender. Can score goals too. I'd be pleased to see him playing on some better league than ours.
Hristo Jovov - Litex again. Forward. He has played for Levski, Lokomotiv Sofia and Munchen 1860. In the moment one of the best forwards in the championship. Very fast, skilful and talented for our standarts. But has some mental problems.
Stanslav Genchev - currently in Levski. Since I don't know much for him, I guess he is a defensive midfielder. Was the best player for Levski in the game vs. Galatasaray in Istanbul.
Georgi Markov - considered as our top BG defender. But not everytime in best shape. He often makes 1 decisive mistake per game and that's his problem. Known as "The Woerner plan" for his agressive playstyle.

Stars outside Bulgaria - Dimitar Berbatov - Levekuzen, striker. I don't like the guy, because he has big problems with scoring the 100% opportunities.
Martin Petrov - He is my favourite. I'm biased. Plays for Wofsburg and it's a shame beacuse he had the chancce to lpay for Ajax, or some bigger team but his former club sold him to Wofsburg. Left winger/attacker. Strong left foot. Good crossings and dribbling. He plays with big desire and always tries to give his best when on the pitch.

Well, that's from me. Let's see if the others can tell sth more.

e-bye

VENI. VIDI. VICI.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2001, 18:51 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Thanks a lot for the information..... the reason why I like Bulgarian football........ hmmmm.... I don't know, it probably came in '94 wc and seeing stars like Stoichkov, Lechkov, Ivanov, Iordanov etc. and I've heard that there is a regeneration at stake and Bulgaria has many romising youngsters.......

Svetoslav Todorov is of course another great player..... isn't there another Todorov still in Litex, is it Svetoslav's brother or am I totally lost?

btw 94 wc was a highlight of my life when we (Sweden) humiliated you in the bronze match

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2001, 18:52 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Oh, and by the way, congrats on the fine win against Bolton today....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2001, 22:09
xtc
International

Thank you for your congratulations!

Today's BG generation is a disgrace when compared witht the old one.
In Litex there was a guy Marian Todorov, now he is not there. But frankly if there is one more Todorov in Litekx at the moment, I don't know him

Svetoslav Todorov is not bad, but IMO the EPL is not the right championship for his style 'cuz he hs no strength and is not very well physically, but hope he will do it better.

Hm, Sweden... are they going to the WC this year?

e-bye

VENI. VIDI. VICI.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2001, 22:14
xtc
International

Oh, and sorry for the many spelling mistakes in the first post.

e-bye

VENI. VIDI. VICI.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2001, 02:30 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Yep we sure are going to the WC by winning our group with impressive goal statistics: 20-3. Sorry about your 6-0 defeat..... if I could choose I'd see Denmark, Czhech rep. and Bulgaria in the WC, but I can't choose so........

Actually I think Svetoslav is a great player, but as you say he needs to develop some physical attributes and maybe EPM isn't for him, even though I'm sure the league will make him a better player.

Are there any rumours about bulgarian domestic stars going to clubs in Europe? Any clubs interested in the players???

Oh, and don't worry about the spelling. I'm used to it
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2001, 16:18
Star Player

Teams: Els Blaugrana
HRISTO STOITCHKOV!

Força Barça - Som Mès Que Un Club!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2001, 21:35
Premier Player

I wouldn't call these players stars, nor any other recent player.
We have some guys with potential, that's all and a few above mid class in europe.

Probably Stilian Petrov is our best player, but in the NT he is nothing much.

And I'd add Todor Kolev, a bit underestimated guy scored 45 goals last year in Second league, and now is leading scorer of the first one with 7 goals. the guy is 21 years old.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2001, 17:05 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Well isn't that an interesting player then? I mean maybe scoring 45 goals in the bulgarian 2nd doesn't say much but since he is leading the first one now and is young he has the future before him, isn't there a chance he'll become a star??
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2001, 18:27
Premier Player

For me he is our biggest talent not because of some technical or other qualities, but of his feeling towards the goal and vision of the game. Btw he scored again today.
Still he is too young to tell anything we have many players which remained unknown to the west european countries, and now the biggest hopes once Bachev, Yovov and Dejanov are players only for our championship and probably Turkey is their future destination.
All these guys that xtc mentioned also have potential, but dunno they have other mentality and may easily remain only big hopes till the end of their careers.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2001, 12:55 Thread Starter
Rising Star

I see, and I understand that it is this way...... too bad as I really wanna see some new bulgarian stars....... anyway, thanks for all the info, really appreciate it...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2001, 22:17
Rookie

hi everyone. Well, I have to say i don't know too much about Bulgarian football in general, but I watch Stilian Petrov play every week for my team, Celtic, and I have to say he is better than you think. He is still young, 22, and already he is a brilliant player. He has determination, confidence and he is a good leader. He can score good goals and is always threatening when he attacks. He is also excellent at scoring goals from free kicks. When we played Juventus in Turin he managed to out-play Edgar Davids COMPLETELY. So I think he is a brilliant player, and certainly, in the Bulgaria games i have seen, he is your best player. Thanx and let me know what u think!
Natalie
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2001, 03:10
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
First of all let me say that i have always been a Celtic fan ... why - look at my username ...

Nice to hear nice words about Stilian ... I think he is definitely our best player at the moment ... not only that he is a good on the pitch but he has both the winning mentality and a little bit mor ein the brain than the avarage player I guess ...

So, having in mind that he is ust 22 I think the future is looking good for him and Celtic ...

Good luck in the CL ... The championship shoudl be a walk over ... AGAIN ..so , happy to se Rangers doing so bad ...

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2001, 10:00
xtc
International

Hey, Am a Celtic supporter in Scotland too

e-bye

VENI. VIDI. VICI.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2001, 00:21 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Petrov totally rules...... too bad he doesn't play for Rangers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in