Norway, Croatia, Azerbaijan

All and all, not bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:12
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: PSV, Oranje, Macedonian NT
Chance for 3rd place which this time would be enough to get you guys into the playoffs.

I can't see you getting the better of Italy and Croatia though
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:37 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: Levski, Ludogorets, Bulgaria
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
Chance for 3rd place which this time would be enough to get you guys into the playoffs.

Well, Italy are tough ... even though the Italian style of football suits Bulgaria very well.

About Croatia, it depends. They can be very uneven, and not so motivated at times. Typical "Balkan-team".

Bulgaria can get 2 points from Italy and 4 from Croatia, what I worry about is the rest of the teams. Azerbaijan and Malta are not so easy, esp. on away-games.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:38
friendly minnow
Star Player

Good luck to you, badest.

You were very polite and respectful through the back half of our last qualification cycle.

And yes, this group is a reunion of sorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit
Results were a 2-2 draw in Sofia and 1-0 loss in Italy last time around. I can see it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2014, 20:02 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro View Post
Good luck to you, badest.

You were very polite and respectful through the back half of our last qualification cycle.

And yes, this group is a reunion of sorts.

Results were a 2-2 draw in Sofia and 1-0 loss in Italy last time around. I can see it.
That 1-0 loss was thanks to 2 great saves by one of my absolute favorites, Buffon. The second half of that game was one of the best BG has produced the past 10 years.

Necro: thanks! You guys got a very even group. Portugal is always tough, and (with the possible exception of Albania) any of the other teams can end up second or third... I can only wish you that you play as well at home as you did away last qualifications.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2014, 20:07
friendly minnow
Star Player

Thanks, badest. I'm keeping expectations low.

Seeing as it's next door, will you be making the trip to Norway?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2014, 21:05
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by badest View Post
Well, Italy are tough ... even though the Italian style of football suits Bulgaria very well.

About Croatia, it depends. They can be very uneven, and not so motivated at times. Typical "Balkan-team".

Bulgaria can get 2 points from Italy and 4 from Croatia, what I worry about is the rest of the teams. Azerbaijan and Malta are not so easy, esp. on away-games.
You guys did very well against the Italians and were really unlucky not to get 2 points from 2 matches - i agree. The thing is that the Italians did much better than you guys against the other teams in the group (they won while you drew) and once again i think it will be the same scenario. You made a mention to this when speaking about Azerbaijan and Malta. I'm not comparing Italy-Bulgaria head to head necessarily.

I disagree that Croatia are a typical "Balkan Team" btw. Just look at their qualifying results in the past European qualifying campaigns and WC campaigns (bar 2010) - very consistent. Also they work much harder on the pitch than the other Balkan countries whilst also possessing a lot of talent. They are practically unbeatable at the Maksimir.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2014, 21:28
YBC
Legend

Scotland beat them at Maksimir...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2014, 22:04 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro View Post
Thanks, badest. I'm keeping expectations low.

Seeing as it's next door, will you be making the trip to Norway?
Yes, I am seriously considering it ...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2014, 22:10 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
You guys did very well against the Italians and were really unlucky not to get 2 points from 2 matches - i agree. The thing is that the Italians did much better than you guys against the other teams in the group (they won while you drew) and once again i think it will be the same scenario. You made a mention to this when speaking about Azerbaijan and Malta. I'm not comparing Italy-Bulgaria head to head necessarily.

I disagree that Croatia are a typical "Balkan Team" btw. Just look at their qualifying results in the past European qualifying campaigns and WC campaigns (bar 2010) - very consistent. Also they work much harder on the pitch than the other Balkan countries whilst also possessing a lot of talent. They are practically unbeatable at the Maksimir.
Well, I did follow Croatia quite close, they were doing great in the WC qualifications, and then I think they just got 1 point the last 4 games, almost flirting with disaster. The playoff against Iceland wasn't very impressive either ... maybe they'll do better in Brazil.

Actually, check this out ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FI...3_UEFA_Group_A

Also, I sort of feel "at home" when BG plays Serbia, Croatia or any ex-Yugo team. Basically anything can happen.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2014, 23:15
Forum Manager
World Class Player

I guess only time will tell what will happen - there is no point in overanalysing everything when it is still February

I didn't mean to start a whole debate btw; just wanted to wish you guys good luck for the qualifiers
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2014, 23:51 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Thanks WR, we'll need it!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old February 25th, 2014, 10:02
dinamo67
World Class Player

Teams: Sydney United, Dinamo Zagreb, Croatia NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by badest View Post
The playoff against Iceland wasn't very impressive either ... maybe they'll do better in Brazil.
Dont know why people think this for. Our first game wasn't the best, but that was probably expected with our new coach. The second game though we played our best game since the Euros. We were complete shit in the WC qualification under Stimac. Even with a man down we destroyed Iceland, could've easily gotten a 6-0 score. I know its only Iceland but with how we were playing in the qualification and getting Kovac as our new coach (which we all wanted) we didn't expect it to turn around that quickly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in