Bulgarian National Team - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2007, 22:06 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: Levski Sofia
Bulgarian National Team

English football manager Terence Frederick Venables told journalists that he had received an offer to coach Bulgaria's national football team.
Borislav Mihaylov, President of the Bulgarian Football Union, mentioned the Englishman's name as a possible candidate for the vacated post of international coach.
"I have no particular plans. Some national football federations have shown interested in me, but I am not in a hurry to accept any offers. I shall wait and see what will happen," the manager told a reporter of Radio 5.
The football federation of the Republic of Ireland has also made Venables an offer. The manager said he was sorry for that the English national team was coached by a foreigner, but not by a native manager.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old December 25th, 2007, 17:52 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Klaus Toppmoeller, touted as one of the possible outsiders to take the vacant job of Bulgarian national team's manager, has decided to extend his contract with Georgia, it emerged on Tuesday.

Toppmoeller, 56, extended his contract by two years, having held the job since 2006. He was previously the manager of Hamburger SV and Bayer Leverkusen, where he coached Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov, now with Tottenham.

With Bulgaria set to appoint its first foreign manager since before World War II, preferably as early as mid-January, Toppmoeller was one of the outside candidates whose names where mentioned to be in the running.

But the former German international, who has three caps for his country, decided to stay with Georgia and will now face Bulgaria in the World Cup qualifying group 8.

He becomes the second foreign manager to turn down the opportunity to manager Bulgaria, who have narrowly missed on EURO 2008, after Croatian Srecko Katanec decided to sign a new contract with Macedonia.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old December 26th, 2007, 17:04
World Class Player

Teams: AC Milan, Levski
I think it's a good idea to try someone new.
Bring in Lippi

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2007, 11:02 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Only a few days before the New Year's Eve, it seems that the situation in the Bulgarian national football team has gone from bad to worse. As The Standart was informed, the leadership of the Bulgarian Football Union (BFU) had hit hard upon the rocks in their search of a foreign football manager who to take up the vacated post of international coach. BFU President Borislav Mihaylov offered an annual salary of 500,000 euro to a possible foreign candidate for the post, but his offer sparkled no interest. Mihaylov's favorite, Jean Amadou Tigana, was the last foreigner to turn down his offer. The Frenchman required an annual salary of 1 million euro, because, to his words, he earned 1.2 million euro a year in the team of Besiktas.
UEFA President Michel Platini in person lobbied for Tigana before Mihaylov at a dinner in Nyon a week ago, but ultimately he could not talk Tigana into taking up Bulgaria's national team.
German football manager Winfried "Winnie" Schafer, the other foreign candidate for the post of international coach, was willing to move to Bulgaria for 300,000 euro per year, but he was turned down because of rumours that he has alcohol problems.
Borislav Mihaylov turned his back on manager Plamen Markov and the meeting between the two scheduled for around Christmas never took place. Thus, the only candidate for the post and, of course, current favorite is Dimitar Penev - the lucky manager who somehow managed, with important wins in the Euro'2008 qualifiers against Romania and Slovenia, to have our national team seeded in urn number 2 in the draw for World Cup'2010 qualification rounds.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2007, 16:18
Premier Player

Teams: Lokomotiv Plovdiv
They might as well leave Penev! He got the credibility of most successful coach ever so he wouldnt be held that accountable for not making it to WC2010. At the same time, people wont be annoyed for having screwed up with a foreign coach.
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old January 6th, 2008, 18:58
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Guys, Russian coach Oleg Romantsev is reportedly in talks with the Bulgarian foootball union to take over as your NT coach.

R.I.P Ari
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old January 6th, 2008, 20:51
Fourth Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
Star Player

Teams: Bulgarian NT, Spurs, bg teams
Don't worry, in the end it will be Plamen Markov who takes over

Or maybe we will get a surprise and the great Martin Jol will take the job!!
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old January 6th, 2008, 22:05 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Oleg Romatsev? No , thank you !
Plamen Markov? NO , thank you!
Dimitar Penev? No , thank you!

I want Mourinho :rollani:
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2008, 20:20
Fourth Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
Star Player

Teams: Bulgarian NT, Spurs, bg teams
You just knew it was gonna happen, Plamen Markov is the new coach. I think he's the best bulgarian out there, but he's too mellow and loses control over the players eventually.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2008, 10:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
is thsi final?

I still read venebales is an option. Otherwise I have very good memories of Markov. Very good.

post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2008, 19:36 Thread Starter
Rising Star

I don't want Plamen Markov. He is a poor !!! :thmbdown: :thmbdown: :thmbdown:
post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2008, 09:35
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

you are a levski fan from all bulgarian coaches i can think of, Plamen Markov is in top 3 right now for sure for the NT and may be would be my 1st choice.

post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2008, 20:07
Star Player

Teams: Norn Iron
NI to play Bulgaria and Georgia

Aaron Hughes could lead NI out against Bulgaria and Georgia
Northern Ireland have arranged friendlies against Bulgaria and Georgia, both at Windsor Park.

Bulgaria will be in Belfast on 6 February with Georgia taking on Nigel Worthington's side on 26 March.

Worthington has just agreed a two-year deal with the Irish FA after succeeding Lawrie Sanchez as manager in June 2007.

The friendly internationals will give him a chance to assess players before the World Cup qualifying campaign begins in September.

The last time Bulgaria were in Belfast they won a World Cup qualifier 1-0.

Northern Ireland and Georgia have not met in a senior international before.

end football Apartheid in Ireland!!
post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2008, 16:25 Thread Starter
Rising Star

"The taxes in Bulgaria turned to be a serious obstacle for the foreign coaches who were willing to lead Bulgaria's national football team," admitted the President of the Bulgarian Football Union (BFU) Borislav Mihailov.
Mihailov revealed he had had negotiations with Srecko Katanec, who had turned the offer to lead Bulgaria, but not for financial reasons. "We were aware of the conditions of Terry Venables, Oleg Romantsev and Walter Zenga. They did not want to live in Bulgaria. The high taxes turned to be a serious obstacle for them. If they stayed in Bulgaria for over six months, they had to pay 10% of taxes in Bulgaria and 40% of taxes in England, for example. This is a serious burden in the financial parameters of the contract, because all foreign coaches were speaking of after tax money," Mihailov said further.
Later, he confirmed that Plamen Markov was Bulgaria's new coach. Markov's contract is for two years. According to rumours, Markov's salary will be 10,000 euro a month. This is Markov's second time as Bulgaria's coach. He qualified the national team for the EURO'2004 finals. Now, Markov's goal is to qualify Bulgaria for the World Finals in South Africa in 2010.
"I bear the responsibility for Markov's appointment. The nomination was backed by all members of the BFU Executive Committee," Mihailov commented.
post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2008, 23:20
World Class Player

Teams: AC Milan, Levski
Yeah i think he did a great job for the Euro 2004 quals and that was one of the best bulgarian teams of the last few years where we beat belgium and croatia 2-0.
post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2008, 08:43
Premier Player

Teams: Lokomotiv Plovdiv
Now they only need to find a new Balakov to help them through those ones and Plamen could repeat his "achievement"
post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2008, 18:19
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

They have to look in germany as well I guess There are soem young BG stars doing good things in the smaller teams, no?

post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2008, 21:38
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Chelsea; Inter;
I nominate Berbatov in an attacking midfield/support striker position and let someone else be infront-ala Tottenham. Doesnt have to a very tallanted player; just fast with a good first touch and close controll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHALID View Post
Drogba is a selfish prick...freekick from 7 yards out wont let torres take it when we are 3-1 up with 5 minutes to go...
Typical Khalid reaction to a blonde girls

Last edited by las7; January 15th, 2008 at 21:16.
post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2008, 23:07
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Is Martin petrov still in he NT picture? Very crafty players.

R.I.P Ari
post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old January 15th, 2008, 11:08
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by las7
Doesnt have to a very tallanted player; just fast with good close with a good first touch.
Gonzo!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in