World Cup Draw - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2007, 18:11 Thread Starter
Fourth Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
Star Player

Teams: Bulgarian NT, Spurs, bg teams
World Cup Draw

Group 8: Italy, Bulgaria, Republic of Ireland, Cyprus, Georgia, Montenegro

Turned out to be a good group, looks the same as our Euro qualifying group tbh, one big team in italy and us or eire for second place, while cyprus, georgia and montenegro are all beatable sides, however they can be dangerous and we shouldn't slip in those encounters like we did vs albania. I reckon we can qualify.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2007, 20:17
Rising Star

Teams: Levski Sofia
Easy draw .... for Italy p p
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2007, 20:38
Premier Player

Teams: Lokomotiv Plovdiv
Its an alright group where if the NT isnt to qualify,then they would definitely have to suck major time. The first place seems unlikely unless Italy performs shaky and losses some points(something that wasnt happening to our rivals in the Euro qualifiers so I wouldnt count on it). My impression is that each team here needs to be approached carefully because even Montenegro is a question mark.

Btw, if the BG NT is to be consistent with history, we should now be qualifying for this WC because if Bulgaria is to miss World Cups, it doesnt miss more than 2 in a row.

ps - Nice avatar! I envy you now!

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2007, 20:58
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: AS Roma, Newcastle
The second place team has to go through a playoff to reach the finals, so qualification for us will be quite difficult. The first place seem very unlikely with the world champions in our group, and even the second won't be easy.

"You don’t play a derby, you win it." - Rudi Garcia
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2007, 22:31
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Chelsea; Inter;
Italy are going down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHALID View Post
Drogba is a selfish prick...freekick from 7 yards out wont let torres take it when we are 3-1 up with 5 minutes to go...
Typical Khalid reaction to a blonde girls
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 02:01
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by las7
Italy are going down....
Thats the spirit but not sure if the players share it with u.:smileani:
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 07:30 Thread Starter
Star Player

who knows, maybe kishishev will retire by then and pull a slaven bilic
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 11:14
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
i think it was a bad one. we were in pot 2, and got ireland from pot three, which is one of the strongest there. none of cyprus, georgia and cenra gora are real outsiders (e.g. lihtenstein, luxemburg, faroe), so it will be a tough one.

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 11:28
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathclaw
who knows, maybe kishishev will retire by then and pull a slaven bilic
The only thing he can pull out of Bilic is a "dance" like the one after the 3rd goal vs England. For the rest you need brains and I would be lying if I say that Im eagerly looking forward to the future of the Bulgarian NT.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 17:36
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

The two Ireland games will be key. Italy at home will be inetesting too, I believe we can avoid losing with some luck. Italy likes to play teams liek Ireland, Scotland, somehow the style suits them.

lets see who our next coach will be.

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 19:38
World Class Player

Teams: AC Milan, Levski
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono
The two Ireland games will be key. Italy at home will be inetesting too, I believe we can avoid losing with some luck. Italy likes to play teams liek Ireland, Scotland, somehow the style suits them.

lets see who our next coach will be.
I want Stoilov again!! Things aren't going well at Levski and he did very good the 2 games he was in charge. If not I say we go for mourinho :dielaugh:
But Stoilov would be my first choice and Mourinho is next in line
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 20:41 Thread Starter
Star Player

It's not like we were that awesome vs belarus, stoilov isn't gonna be that good methinks.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 21:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

he will be always exposed to the blame of "Levski favoritism" and "Raeva puppet". And he might well be one a bit. I have no idea who I want. I don’t know why they don’t try with Georgi Vassilev - true the guy is more of a club coach, be he is the only Bulgarian coach I think with some, though not that great western experience. Balakov would be the other one and there is this guy Angel Chervenkov in hearts, I think. Lupko Petrovic might be a good choice too, but he is a bit too old for that may be.
A foreigner (Lupko is hardly a real one) might be a good choice, like Scheffer and so on. The core of our team, the bets players are all working abroad for years now, so a foreigner with more modern approach to football might work well. What I think happens (as I am working abroad for 6 years now and sort of have a feeling like that too), is that the likes of Berbo, Marto, etc get their ars whooped around in the big clubs, they get used to that system there, but then they come back to the NT and it feels like vacation, as the methods and the discourse (the way people talk to each other, the insults, the jokes, the attitude) are all old fashion, too slow, too not so serious enough and so on. So its not like they set the tune, but quite the reverse - the local realities, local players and coach stuff are winning over their hearts. And who can blame them - you work like horse for the money, come back home, mummy is cooking, you are star, everybody is a friend, you are just human. It happens to me too

PS No disrespect to all hard working people in Bulgaria, most of my friends are there (or - back there) and I know things are pretty serious in the private sector. But I have that feeling our football clubs, methods are still lacking behind.

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 22:35
Premier Player

The thing that has been concerning me in the past few years in regards to the Bulgarian NT is the ease at which players are being naturalised and asked to play for the country. This is a poor way of solving things and detrimental in the long term, not to mention that I could not think of a single naturalised player which would remain remembered as exceptionally good. Im not saying its the source of all evil but it definitely isnt helping. Just because there may not be,say, a left back in Levski/CSKA/Litex, it wouldnt mean that the ones in Loko Sf,Loko Pd,Slavia etc are crap. Just look at Kishishev,for example! He shined at the Euro96 and I believe he was in Nafteks at the time.Well, how on earth can some young player prove himself when they put misunderstandings like Tomasic and Wagner?

Also,a bit off-topic but I do not believe that Levski/CSKA players should be that easily called. If we are to ask people that follow A grupa to make up a best Bulgarian A grupa squad, we are likely to pick the key players of the first 5-6 teams, the ones that get their team going(if they are Bulgarians). Sometimes a player from mid-table team could die on the field in order to prove himself. Surely Levski and CSKA strive to be the best etc and therefore getting the best possible players but reality is such that neither of the above teams can honestly say that their team has the best or second best player at each position, yet, this is what the NT squad selection tries to imply. Not to mention that those two teams have been really poor lately and could mainly get major results vs teams that hardly pay their day-to-day expenses.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2007, 22:55
World Class Player

Teams: AC Milan, Levski
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Techno
The thing that has been concerning me in the past few years in regards to the Bulgarian NT is the ease at which players are being naturalised and asked to play for the country. This is a poor way of solving things and detrimental in the long term, not to mention that I could not think of a single naturalised player which would remain remembered as exceptionally good. Im not saying its the source of all evil but it definitely isnt helping. Just because there may not be,say, a left back in Levski/CSKA/Litex, it wouldnt mean that the ones in Loko Sf,Loko Pd,Slavia etc are crap. Just look at Kishishev,for example! He shined at the Euro96 and I believe he was in Nafteks at the time.Well, how on earth can some young player prove himself when they put misunderstandings like Tomasic and Wagner?

Also,a bit off-topic but I do not believe that Levski/CSKA players should be that easily called. If we are to ask people that follow A grupa to make up a best Bulgarian A grupa squad, we are likely to pick the key players of the first 5-6 teams, the ones that get their team going(if they are Bulgarians). Sometimes a player from mid-table team could die on the field in order to prove himself. Surely Levski and CSKA strive to be the best etc and therefore getting the best possible players but reality is such that neither of the above teams can honestly say that their team has the best or second best player at each position, yet, this is what the NT squad selection tries to imply. Not to mention that those two teams have been really poor lately and could mainly get major results vs teams that hardly pay their day-to-day expenses.
hey if the coach decides that they can do a better job then our bulgarian players why not??
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2007, 00:29
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_milan_foreva
hey if the coach decides that they can do a better job then our bulgarian players why not??
Perhaps because at the end everyone sees that they dont? Its even a bit ironic that Bulgarians in A grupa should count themselves lucky to be in the NT(especially if they are offensive players) but then the football union, through the naturalisation process, is sort of like begging foreigners in this same A grupa to be in the NT.It also speaks for itself that none of these guys made it to any decent team, unless we count Pazhin at Shaktar as such case(though even then, he didnt last long there).
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2007, 07:48 Thread Starter
Star Player

it's a shame that so few people from other teams get into the NT. Last year todor kolev had excellent results and he wasn't even called up, while people like domovchiisky and kushev were..
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2007, 18:19
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Wagner is the best in his position in our A grupa for some years no? (this is what I keep hearing from friends). I have no particular probelms with naturalization, though it does not help much I agree

I know defense is our big problem but then in terms of midfeild and attack its hard to see how we cant produce a good looking, quite attacking but also smart team. Look at the good players playing abroad or at home. apart from the known ones - stilian, martin petrov, we also have some players getting good experience abroad - yankov, angelov (probably bets levski and A grup aplayer last year), I will add Tekliiski too here. Cant thing of one more DM (woudl be nice) but with the attackers it is possible to bring a godo team together

Last edited by bono; November 27th, 2007 at 18:47.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2007, 20:06 Thread Starter
Star Player

first guy i can think of for LB is mihail venkov, who's definitely not worse than wagner, who hasn't been great by any means and shouldn't have a granted place in the NT, zanev should become an option should he get some games at celta.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2007, 20:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

you know what ... lets start putting a team together, hopefully two per a spot. I cant start really as I don think I know enough at this point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in