other sports: volleyball - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2007, 16:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
other sports: volleyball

The Euro is going on, we just won against Croatia - 1st game. We lost the 1st two sets and then just demolished them the next three. Despite the scare, it turns out to be a great game ... not only we won but we are 19+ points which they say is more important than the game ratio.

Finland and Italy next. I would love to beat Italy again.

Best is teh win but also I think the guys realized its serious got some scare so no more underestimation, hopefully.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2007, 15:05
xtc
International

Teams: J.......
I used to be a big fan of volleyball... a decade ago. Now I watch now and then the women with long legs

Care to help me out, Bo?
I knew that BG, Italy, Brazil, Cuba were quite good but now Im totally lost. Not that back then I was much informed, but where could I possibly inform myself apart from 7sport? So who's who in the world? Who are declining sides, who are old/new powers, which players are the stars, etc.

VENI. VIDI. VICI.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2007, 13:53
Rising Star

Teams: Levski
new power is POland...definitely... Finland just beat us 3:0... so... they must be some kind of a "pleasant" surprise...

Netherlands is totally lost... they are nothing compared to what they used to be...

Italy is in kind of a crisis. France is not bad...
Brasil is still pretty much unbeatable... for every other team than Bulgaria... I read somewhere that they had only 3 losses in the last 4-5 years... all of them vs Bulgaria. If I had to make a list of the big teams now it will be:

1. Brasil
2. Poland
3. Russia
4. France
5. Bulgaria
6. Italy
7. Serbia
8. Cuba
9. USA
...etc.

not in this order specifically

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2007, 10:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

We beat Italy 3-0 ... I mean we demolished them. Finnalnd won teh group, Italy is also through, Croatia are out. We go to second group with 1-1 ratio and play v Belgium, Russia and Poland. Wins v Poland and belgium (a must) might see us through. 1st two go to semis. The Finnish loss was stupid an dit might cost us really bad. If we were 2-0 now, one win v Belgium might have even been enough. Poland are tough and they beat us twice this year in the groups.

xtc

Italy are in crisis for 2 years now. Brazil is still winning all big events. Holland sort of disappeared from the big map (they were Olimpic Champs in 96 I think), Serbia is still good but not that good. Russia is still showing steel from time to time but is not that consistent. New forces include Poland and France. Cuba still good but we own them. Bulgaria on paper shoudl be a medal contender with these players but some how (as always) we manage to fuk it up when matters most. Personally I think we have a great chance here and now at this Euro. We can beat anybody but then again lose 0-3 to Finalnd and were 0-2 up to Croatia before we turned it around. A must win v Belgium and then two really tough games v Poland and Russia. We shall see.

Russia game is tomorrow, Tuesday, 20.00 moscow time ( 6 PM CET).

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 10:47
xtc
International

Teams: J.......
Thanks guys!

so, things havent changed much with regards to our team. So good and in the same time so unpredictable. That's been a real mystery for me, too. We have some fvcuked up mentality and for some reason either do not want to win/do not have the guts to do so.

VENI. VIDI. VICI.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 12:36 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

mentalyity is key I think. if you look at other teams liek Italy or Brazil, and I think in our case, espcially Serbia, you will see a big difference. Italy and Brazil (when we are close to their quality of players) always get to finals and win. We never do that. We won v Brazil most of our games, last season (or the previous) and still they went on to play WL final and win it. Serbia is even better example. I think 2 or 3 years ago, we were in one Q group and won both games, then we won again I think during teh championship in Serbia, but they went on to play a final I think or a semi and we crumbled to other opposition.

We shall see this one. To tell you the truth if we reach semis, I will not be surprised to see us finally make it big. But something tells me we wont again. And I will not be shocked to see one of Italy or Serbia make it again, though we have a much better team right now. Russia is n1 fav.

By the way, our chances are not that good anymore. Pushkata is out for teh tournament and I heard two other guys (plamen Konstantinov amongst) are with injuries. We play Russia today at 6 CET.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2007, 13:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

ooo WOW Finlald are leading Poland 2-0 sets and 4-1 in the 3rd. Its hard to say if that is good or bad really. Only two go from each group. Finald have 1-1 from preliminary groups, just like us. If they win 3-0, it means we have to beat at leats Belgium and Poland. If we lose to Russia, then Finald has to lose to Russia too, and I am afraid its teh last game of all ... again!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2007, 12:12 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

so we lost 0-3 to russia and finalnd won 3-0. our chances of making the semis are close to 1% . In fact I think they might depend of a game that is going on now - Belgium-Finland. 1st set fins are leading. Ifby some miracle the Finns lose, and we beat Poland and belgium 3-0 ... we might have some chance. But I doubt all that. Its gone. Again.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2007, 13:51 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Finland lost teh 1st set to belgium and there was some light ... then won 3-1 and I think its all over. haven't made the calculations but most likely even if we win the next 2 with 3-0 and Finland lose to russia we are still out of the semis. Our game v Poland starts in 40 min.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2007, 17:00 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Well, (ami) I told you (az vi kazah).

Bulgaria ended up 8th. We lost two games and won all the rest but ended up 8th. Serbia lost the same No of games but ended up 3rd, exactly as I precicted, bronze. Italy, whom we demolished and have the same win/lose ratio like us, are 6th. I mean ...

The surprise packge Spain won at the end in a dramatic final. They were leading 24-22 in the 3rd set ( in 1-1) but lost it. Then they won a dramataic 4th 30-28 or sth like that. Then they were leading 11-8; 12-9 and then 14-12 and had two c'ship points but the Russians came back to 14-14 only for Spaim to clinch it finally. In Moscow.

I find it super ironic that in volleball the underdog Spain won the final v Russia in Russia; while the same day, in basketball, the underdog Russia won the final against Spain in Spain. Russia also won Fed Cup that weekend, while Spain had Alonso closing the gap in F1 and couple of winners in Moto GP (125 and 250 I think). Pretty much Spain and Russia weekend everywhere. Kimi the excpetion probably. And of course ... Belasica Petric.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in