Martin Petrov - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2006, 21:38 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Martin Petrov

Looks more and more that we'll be making a bid for him (or Downing :groand: ) soon, now that we've sold fatboy Reid.

What's he like? even though I actually regularly watch the highlights show on ZDF, I actually forgot what he was like for Wolfsburg.

What's he like? a left winger who passes players cos of his pace (like Romeo Castelen / Overmars) , technique (van Persie) or more of a crosser like Beckham?

thanks in advance

and please no copy and pastes in here

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 09:29
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Chelsea; Inter;
Well he does have the crosses or midhight passes and half shots half passes along the ground, he does have the speed like Overmars used to, he also has a fierce left foot like Recoba.
I think his real problem is his attitude he does like to be the star of the team and have more responsibility like he did in Wolfsburg, despite his really bad season with AM he still finnished secound behind Bekz in the assists chart(La Liga has players on the flanks who instead of passing try to get a goal I guess that must be the way to explain this fact).
I'm not too sure if they are good friends with Mitko ,perhaps they are but once again I'm not sure. Petrov is definetly alot better then Downing thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHALID View Post
Drogba is a selfish prick...freekick from 7 yards out wont let torres take it when we are 3-1 up with 5 minutes to go...
Typical Khalid reaction to a blonde girls
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 09:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
las said it all.

MP is fast and has good crosses - thats about it. he has passion too but also attitude problems. A very good friend of mine, spanish and Atl M fan, was exstatatic about him in the beginning of his Atl season and was swearing at hom at the end

We all thought Spain is teh place for Martin to show his all (as in Germany he was having a lot deff responsibilities) but didnt really happen. he is usually very good for Bulgaria NT. In his defense 9if possible) his attitude issues might come from teh fact that both Wolfsburg and Atl M ambitions are much less than his own. Which simply might be a case of over confidence of course ... Spurs with Berbatov might be a good option though. Hope it happens as his Atl days seem to be numbered. Then the passion of EPL and the fans, might do good to him. His attitude is close to that of Stoichkov ... his tallent is not though.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 12:13
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
What's he like? a left winger who passes players cos of his pace (like Romeo Castelen / Overmars) , technique (van Persie) or more of a crosser like Beckham?
Well, he is one the fastest pro players and good crosser of the ball, but sometimes he is overdoing it. Plus he is a decent free kick taker, so, basically a much faster version of Beckham, without all the media glamour
And he is more suited to a 4-3-3 formation, then being left midfielder in 4-4-2 so i am not sure how successful would be a Premiership stint for him
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 12:32
Rising Star

Teams: Levski
well it's been said enough on MP's positives so far I think. I can only add that he is terrible in Defence. I mean - he does not cover his zone at all, he does not provide any support to the wingbacks. He seemed to be in a pretty bad shape against Wales, but it's still the start of the season...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 14:29 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
thanks all for the replies. We've been trying out a kind of 4-3-3 in pre-season but more of a Keano playing behind Berbatov and Deano.

However as Jol is Dutch and not so tactially obsolete like most EPL managers, something like:

---Petrov----Berbatov----Lennon

------------Keano-------------
------Davids--------Zokora----

is something I'd try if I were him, the traditional Dutch 4-3-3 system.

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 14:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey
... a much faster version of Beckham ...
unfortunately Martin's crossing, frekick taking and leadership qualities are not even a 1% of Becksam's ...

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 14:55
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Leadership qualities-David Beckham?
That phrase should never be used...EVER

Quote:
Drogba is a selfish prick...freekick from 7 yards out wont let torres take it when we are 3-1 up with 5 minutes to go...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 15:05
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by las7
Leadership qualities-David Beckham?
That phrase should never be used...EVER
compred to Franko Baresi- no; compared to Marto Petrov ... come on!!!

Bechks was a very very good Eng captain for years. no matter what you say, it is true.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 15:05
International

Huh bono?!? Last year he had about 10 assists in Spain from crosses only -including 2 against Barcelona.
In his last die Bundesliga season he lead the asists charts- again mainly thanks to his crossing and scored 4 goas directly from FK
For Bulgaria at least 10 of Bebrabtov's goals are headers after cross of Marto and he has scored 2 or 3 free kicks
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 15:13
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey
Huh bono?!? Last year he had about 10 assists in Spain from crosses only -including 2 against Barcelona.
In his last die Bundesliga season he lead the asists charts- again mainly thanks to his crossing and scored 4 goas directly from FK
For Bulgaria at least 10 of Bebrabtov's goals are headers after cross of Marto and he has scored 2 or 3 free kicks

Petrov assists are one of his string side - no question. I said that earlier here.

But Bechkam issimply the best crosser of teh ball I have seen for many years back. and oen of teh best free kick taker in teh world ... dont confuse these two ... and I am not a bechks fan at alll

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 15:41
International

Well Petrov was for sure the best crosser in the whole Bundesliga his last 2 seasons there and that's a statistically proven fact. Then he moved to Spain and had about the same stats as Becks despite the fact that Torres and Kezman are probably the most wasteful forward duo i've ever seen in a top league Maybe Beckham is better but he is slightly better and we are definately not talking abot 99 times better ratio aren we?
As for the set pieces thing about 70-80% of the Marto goals i remember have come from them- both for club and country.
I am not patriotic at all- but if there is one or ok two things he does on aworld class level- it's running and crossing
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 19:08
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Beckham might be a better crosser but that does him a whole lot of good when he is unable to drible or get past even one oponent.

Quote:
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 07:34
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Spurs ready to offer £8M for Atletico Madrid winger Petrov
tribalfooball.com - August 18, 2006

Tottenham boss Martin Jol is pushing through an £8 million bid for Atletico Madrid winger Martin Petrov.
The Mirror says Spurs have got a bid in place to tempt Petrov, 27, who wants to leave Atletico Madrid for the Premiership.

The Bulgarian, who only joined the Spaniards from Wolfsburg last summer, is an attacking winger who Jol has turned to after missing out on Damien Duff, who left Chelsea for Newcastle in a ?5m move.

Atletico are ready to sell, with Petrov failing to convince new coach Javier Aguirre in preseason.

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in