LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 00:57 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Magyar NT
Brasilian playing for Bulgaria?

I read this article here
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slu...ters&type=lgns

can you tell me a bit more about him?
does he speak Bulgarian? how long has he been in Bulgaria?

are there any other players born abroad that have played for Bulgaria?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 01:50
Premier Player

Teams: Lokomotiv Plovdiv
Well he currently plays for Levski Sofia and has been in the country for a while already(the article says quite a lot). Im not sure if he speaks Bulgarian but I believe he does(probably some Levski fan, visiting this forum can say for sure). He was one of the decent players that helped Levski reach 1/4 finals on the UEFA cup. But no, he aint the first foreign born player playing for the NT. There were 3 Serbian born ones that played on Euro 2004 - 2 defenders and one attacking player(not sure if there was anyone else before them). The fiasco on the tournament naturally made many people blame the "foreigners". Whether thats true or not, no one can tell for sure but when Stoichkov replaced the previous manager, he promised not to call such type of players(though as seen now, he is good in the pointless talking).

I personally go against that not from any nationalist point of view(lol!) but because if the NT is screwed cauz,say, there isnt a good enough left back(the post where Vagner plays), well, just put whoever seems to be the least worse option. After all, those international games are about what football capabilities a country can pull out. If a country got screwed defence(the Bulgarian one is notorious for that), that should tell something about the youth facilities and not that there should be a recruitment spree from football-superior countries such as Serbia and Brazil.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 15:02
Rising Star

He plays on the left of LevskiSofia's defence and imo is our classiest footballer. Another Brazilian of the same hue made his debut for our national team against Turkey - Thiago Silva from CSKA, who plays on the same position. It doesn't look like we have a real Bulgarian boy to fill the spot reliably and the big Bulgarian clubs and even more sadly the national team have to look for foreigners.

I haven't seen Vagner give interviews in Bulgarian, even though he has played in the country for 4+ years now. Silva has spent about the same time at Litex and then CSKA and he speaks pretty fluent Bulgarian. He turned out to be country-tied, because he has also appeared for Brasil in some friendly a long time ago.

And yes -the first foreigners to play for Bulgaria were the Serbians Pazhin, Zagorchich and Yankovich, who debuted in the EC2000 qualies. When Stoichkov came in he threw them out and swore that he would never select foreigners ever. He has broken his promise on 3 occassions now and is lobbying hard that Senegalese Guye, Croatian Tomasich, Nigerian Richard and Frenchman Bardon hear the call of mother Bulgaria and put on the shirt w/ the golden lions.

Stoichkov is somewhat of a Matthaus, you know.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 23:26
World Class Player

Teams: AC Milan, Levski
croatia have a brazilian too and poland have a nigerian playing for them so why cant we??? i am for lucio vagner playing in the NT but i dont think we should go overboard and get too many foreigners
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 23:36
Premier Player

Teams: Lokomotiv Plovdiv
Quote:
but i dont think we should go overboard and get too many foreigners
with 3 Serbians in the 2004 squad, dont you think its a bit too late for such concern. Also, you never know... the Polish may have said themselves "hey, look at the BGs with all those foreigners. It shouldnt hurt getting one ourselves then". And, after all, just because these countries also do it, it doesnt look less silly from aside.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 02:17
Rising Star

I'm all for people like Silva playing for the national team, because he genuinly seems like somebody who has taken Bulgaria to his heart. Guye, Lucio and Richard probably fall in the same category too, but Tomasic and Bardon have been in the country for less than 1 year, come on now... It's kinda early to take them as true Bulgarian patriots imo.

The three Serbians looked pretty dedicated to the national team as well, so I have nothing against them either.

But you have to draw the line somewhere and ask yourself: do you want the national team to represent the Bulgarian school of football with its psychotic goalkeers and wingers, tough looking but incompetent defenders, magical midfielders and lazy, but effective strikers... Or do you want to win just for the sake of winning.

I'd say keep it all home-grown, even if this means including Richard (Levski's youth academy), but omitting Bozhinov (Lecce's youth academy).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in