can Bulgaria host or co-host tournaments like European Championships in future ? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2005, 11:48 Thread Starter
Rising Star

can Bulgaria host or co-host tournaments like European Championships in future ?

possibility
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2005, 14:29
Premier Player

We really don't have the resources, nor the quality terrains at this time for this kind of competition. If we manage to rise our standart in the next 10 years we might start discussing this issue, but for now Bulgaria's best organization is in winter sports due to the tries to attract more tourists, but we are still behind a country like Slovenia, for instance.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2005, 16:33
Premier Player

Teams: Lokomotiv Plovdiv
Quote:
Originally Posted by w-inds.
possibility
lol

have you ever been to Bulgaria,mate? If you see the state of the football there, you would be wondering how does the country gets to qualify for WCs and Euros from time to time

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2005, 18:38
Premier Player

it is too costly to build a new stadium, not because the initial investment is not present but mostly because the return on investment will be so small- how many people can afford to attend the games regularly

otherwise such a competition is awesome for a little bit more developed country than Bulgaria - so much money goes for infrastructure and the benefits are incredible but I don't think they will ever grant these to Bulgaria, it's more about lobbying than ever, with the political and economic games FIFA is playing
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old November 28th, 2005, 23:00
World Class Player

Teams: AC Milan, Levski
the only stadium we currently have that is good for a championship is the national one. Our stadiums are pretty small, but for example when cska player against Hamburger the pitch was in SUPERB condition.. i couldnt believe it was bulgarska armija. I know we dont have the stadiums for something like this but im not as skeptical as don techno...
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2005, 12:39
xtc
International

Teams: J.......
as all said stadions are in bad condition, bad infrastructure ergo bad connection between the cities and besides I am not sure if we can do all in international standarts when it comes to the so much used phrase nowadays - 'global terrorism'.

VENI. VIDI. VICI.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 00:42
World Class Player

oh no doubt.. the only places that will be capable of something like this is sofia but 1 city doesnt make a whole championship does it.. and even the stadiums are pretty small and in bad condition.. they can be brought back to life for an eventual tournament stadiums is not the only thing there is.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 10:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
Anything is possible really

I mean, lets say it will be after 2016 and we will do it with a neibour - Greece or Romania, may be Serbia. So, all you need is some funds (commitment) to rebuilt several stadiums. No more than 6 I would say. 2 or 3 in Sofia (may be 4), one in Plovdiv, one in Burgas, and one or two more somewhere else (Varna, Blagoevgrad, Stara Z.) Now, by that time our communication system will be much better. We should have highways from Sofia to both varna and burgas (through Plovdiv), may be to south west too. There are flights Sofia-Varna, Burgas airport is small but quite nice actually and well equipped for the tourist season and Sunny Beach. Then if it is Greece, lets say, flighst to Athens and Thessalonica are what you need.

Its a long shot, of course, but not impossible.

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 12:36
Premier Player

I have to disagree here. Its not economically justified for Bulgaria to have 5-6 top notch stadiums. I dont see the current train system being rapidly improved even by 2025, not to mention 2016. Besides, there were plenty of criticisms about the Euro2004 in Portugal saying that lots of stadiums built/expanded solely for the Euro will later see average attendances of about 5000 people. Same, if not worse, will be in Bulgaria. Not to mention from a political point of view that the country is on the balkans and its a surprise if something gets organised well there.

One more major point is that, although I havent seen the list of WC host countries lately, I recall that they were either developed countries(i.e. western european, USA, Japan(with S.Korea) or third world countries with enough resources and where football is a popular sport(in relative terms). Bulgaria is neither! In fact, countries like Australia, China, Russia, Poland and a few others that havent so far been WC hosts have way bigger chance so 2016(or even 2020) is way too far from reality for Bulgaria even if BFS had the strong will for it.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 13:47
Rising Star

Teams: AC Milan, CSKA Sofia
Quote:
Originally Posted by w-inds.
possibility
There is possibility for such event here... in 2148 or so :depress: In case that Bulgaria still exist :irritate: The name could be changed to Gipsyland or Turkey2 by that time :frownani: :thmbdown:

RICONQUISTATA!

In Italia Milan!
In Europa Milan!
Ovunque Milan!
Per sempre rossoner

Official XTMCMM Logo
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 16:53
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Jay
There is possibility for such event here... in 2148 or so :depress: In case that Bulgaria still exist :irritate: The name could be changed to Gipsyland or Turkey2 by that time :frownani: :thmbdown:

What is that suppose to mean?????? Dont tell me you are living with post 1878 fears that Turrkey wants or will invade us any moment! And what is this gipseyland? I hope you are not implying there are too many Roma in Bulgaria do you? And then that thats a huge problem that they create. I am rarely serious about things but rasisim especially in my own country is definitely on the list.

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 16:58
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Don T

There is no way China or Australia will oragnize a Euro Championship. Ever!

I dont agree completely. We dont need 40 000 capacity stadiums. Sweeden proved a good Euro could be done with less. Besides, it is not true BG wil always have a 5 000 att rates. It WAS much better and bigger 10 or 20 years ago, there is no reason it wont go back again. I do believe that by 2016 our country and football will be in much better shape. Its alomst inevitable actualy.

As I said - its close to impossible and you are right Euro has never been in the East. Not for 30 years at least. All I am saying is that it aint so impossible. By 2016 BG should be in a pretty good condition to stage a succesful big thing, coorganized or not.

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 19:24
Premier Player

Quote:
There is no way China or Australia will oragnize a Euro Championship. Ever!
I think I was refering to World cups but if you want me to speak just for Euros, leaving the non-euro countries aside, there are still other eastern European countries that are more likely to become hosts than BG does.

As for Sweden, Im not sure but I think that was a while ago when the football as a whole was less commercial. Nowadays, however, the risk of having a WC(or a Euro for that matter) in a small European country is far greater. There would be so many people wanting to go there that the Bulgarian infrastructure wont handle it. Cities like Plovdiv,Varna and Stara Zagora are big ones in BG terms but they will need to have space for thousands of tourists at once...something that perhaps only Varna is sort of suitable for. If Bulgaria is to go for dual-hosting, Greece is the best option but even they had some major problems around the olympics. Bulgaria is running on a 0 budget deficit and everybody makes sure it so far remains that way while the Greeks have no problem for going into the red big time(and they did) so realisticly speaking, where are all those money for all-round investments gonna come from?
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 22:12
World Class Player

Quote:
we shall not let that happen!!!! no way.. just because many bulgarians live outside of bulgaria doesnt mean that there would be just gipsies are turks left in bulgaria.. we will come back!!!
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 23:56
xtc
International

Teams: J.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono
What is that suppose to mean?????? Dont tell me you are living with post 1878 fears that Turrkey wants or will invade us any moment! And what is this gipseyland? I hope you are not implying there are too many Roma in Bulgaria do you? And then that thats a huge problem that they create. I am rarely serious about things but rasisim especially in my own country is definitely on the list.
risking to highjack the thread...
full support here from me.

I may be not that clever as I would like to think but I know some things:

a) since I live in Germany, in a multicultural 12-persons-house, I started to dislike some 'persons' (no nations, no races to mention) differentiating them in basic terms - i.e. the one doesnt wash everytime the dishes, the other one has strange look in the eyes everytime I see him/her, the third is listening music at 2:30 a.m while I need to sleep cuz I must go to work at 5:30 am, or maybe its the far eastern guy whos cooking awfully things and I could only puke just cuz of the look of it, besides it smells really bad in the whole house after that, etc, etc.

b) I know that the romas (even if saying 'ciganin' - that is not expressing offense in my own terms, the same as 'n.igga' - i.e. 'black' sounds as an offence to me and not the first one) are making so many children and mainly because of the social help they get from the state. More children - more money - but less money for the child itself, but more for the father to drink, eh!!! I know that many of them are maybe in reality lazy or they go stealing, etc, etc.

c) But I know that racism and intercultural hatred are no terms providing reasonable solutions. They are nothing new. They are implied in the project of our modernity with the expansion of the nation state. So far so good, but the problem is that we think them in terms of unquestionable facts, take em for granted, while they are nothing more of illusion that can transform itself in ****ing devastating energy (2 WC, all inter-racial and intercultural wars are the least to mention). Nations aer something so artificial and still there are so many ppl to believe in the POWER of the holly race or the supremacy of its culture over others, woooo. Too badm, huh. Prosvetlenie mu e maikata, a ne nqkakvi palqci i klouni - 4e da ne kazvam po-silni dumi - ot roda na Volen Siderov.

i could go far with it but prefer to stop as it's really another sick (political for those who didnt get it - no sport) topic here.

Interesting FACT: no matter where you come from, what culture has formed you or what colour of the skin you got - WE ALL are the grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-etc-etc children of a whatever african woman hundred thousands of years back. More - you breath in the atoms and all that chemical stuff from the last breaths of any given person on the ****ing planet. Hard to imagine, eh?

davai natataka.

VENI. VIDI. VICI.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2005, 11:10
Premier Player

guys, I suggest you put an end to this, you are entitled to think anything but this is a public forum and many people are sensitive about such issues
ok?

thanks
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2005, 11:47
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtc
Prosvetlenie mu e maikata, a ne nqkakvi palqci i klouni - 4e da ne kazvam po-silni dumi - ot roda na Volen Siderov.

But i will follow Luba again and stop all here.

post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2005, 21:54
Rising Star

Teams: AC Milan, CSKA Sofia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono
I'm living in the present, where the gypsies and turks are 1/4 from the population in our country. And they consider themselfs not as bulgarians! There is a turkish partai in our parliament... not only in the parliament - they are in our government, there are news in turkish language broadcasted on our national TV!!! The bulgarian people are massivly trying to emigrate, the bulgarian families either have one child or have none, while the gypsies and turks are having 3-4-5 or more children. And you are trying to tell me.. what? I'm going to the shop or to the hypermarket to buy something and there I hear turks speaking in their language, I'm in the bus and 2 or 3 turks are speaking in their language, last week I was to the disco and later when leaving and waiting for my jacket 4 or 5 turks standing around me spoke in turkish... Not to mention for the gypsies. There won't be any land called Bulgaria in the near future - that is for sure. For the most of you - living in forign countries - the things I said means nothing I guess... but I'm living here and I know what I'm talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_milan_foreva
we shall not let that happen!!!! no way.. just because many bulgarians live outside of bulgaria doesnt mean that there would be just gipsies are turks left in bulgaria.. we will come back!!!
Nobody wants to come back. And nobody will. Personally I don't want to leave my country. I love my country, but I hate our government. I hope that I can manage my life here in a good way, but maybe I should think about my children, because I don't want them to live in such conditions.

RICONQUISTATA!

In Italia Milan!
In Europa Milan!
Ovunque Milan!
Per sempre rossoner

Official XTMCMM Logo
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2005, 03:19
International

Teams: Albania, Red Bulls NY,
I think you can co-host it with Romania. From what i hear Bulgaria is becoming very modern.

DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI

ILLYRICUM TOTO SUPERUS

RROFT SHQIPERIA
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2005, 15:41
Premier Player

Quote:
I'm living in the present, where the gypsies and turks are 1/4 from the population in our country. And they consider themselfs not as bulgarians!
everyone has the right to identify themselves according to theit belief and value systems

Quote:
I'm going to the shop or to the hypermarket to buy something and there I hear turks speaking in their language, I'm in the bus and 2 or 3 turks are speaking in their language, last week I was to the disco and later when leaving and waiting for my jacket 4 or 5 turks standing around me spoke in turkish
in every countries minorities speak their own language. The Latin Americans in the US speak Spanish among themselves, don't they? When it comes to official language it is Bulgarian and no one has ever questioned this.
The news in Turkish were an act of tolerance and as far as I am concerned (and many other Bulgarians, too) it is not such a big deal.

Minorities are not guilty for the diminishing number of Bulgarians. And you sound like you are blaming it on someone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in