Dimitar Berbatov thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2005, 17:06 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Dimitar Berbatov thread

I watched him play again today for Bayer Leverkusen and this guy is amazing he scored another goal and now has 3 goals in the Bundes Liga already. I never saw him play at CSKA and maybe someone can tell me more about those days but if he continues like this he should be playing at a Bayern or Real soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2005, 10:17
Premier Player

if he concentrates...
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2005, 10:20
Premier Player

you gotta be talking about the 1-1 game against Schalke, it was an awesome goal indeed, but how many other opportunities he missed...

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2005, 11:57
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by luba
you gotta be talking about the 1-1 game against Schalke, it was an awesome goal indeed, but how many other opportunities he missed...
Luba, check the date of the post, he isnt talking about Schalke game for sure
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2005, 12:34
Premier Player

oh well, my bad
I never check the date, such a wise piece of advise
anyway, I made my point about the Schalke game, didn't I?
I've been away for too long I guess...
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2005, 17:19
International

yes you made your point but this is supposed to be the thread where we praise Berbatov, not criticize him he has scored in each game form the start of the season- this kind of consistency is a good sign
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2005, 18:48
Premier Player

it doesn't say 'praise Berbatov here'
what's more, I am just stating a fact- he did miss a lot and the end result was a draw
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2005, 22:56
International

most of the chances he missed were created by himself though. And i wont be mad with him if he waste even twice as many chances on Thursday
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2005, 23:08
Rookie

Berbatov is great, but he really wastes too many opportunities and that's pretty annoying
Against Sweden at Vassil Levski and also against Croatia and Hungaria he was one of our weakest players, in fact we lost points because of his misses. I'd rather prefer Bojinov in the first team
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old September 13th, 2005, 00:35
International

OK, but strikers should be judged by the number of goals they score not the number of misses-every player misses sitters once in a while, but not everyone scores 20 goals a season
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 05:09
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
and i hope the spurs sign him this week...

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 11:21
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
Everyone misses chances - sometimes we in Bg have a very hard line and strict criteria for our players. The weird thing about Berbatov is the following. Many BG fans loyalties and love is divided based on players last BG club - CSKA or Levski in 90% of the cases (players like Balakov in the past and Svetlio Todorov these days are big exceptions). So, usually all "CSKA" players are mostly loved by CSKA fans when they play for the NT. This is true even for Hristo Stoickov , as there are many Levski fans who still call him names and hate him.

With Berbatov is weird and tricky though. He played for CSKA and was among their bets players. But ( and you can see this from Luba's posts here) he had a very tense relationship with CSKA fans due to his misses, lack of goals in the big Derby games and some interviews he and his mom gave over the years. Sp, on one hand, he is not so much loved by CSKA fans. For Levski fans he is a CSKA product so he isn’t the most famous NT son by far, but b/s of the CSKA fans attitude, seems like Levski fans hate him not so much.

Bottom line - most fans love Berbo only when he scores and scores a lot. Hence, he has the aura of a talented but lazy and not very brave-hearted player.

My opinion is different - I don’t think he is lazy and I dont think he misses more than any other big name forward in Europe. He aint Eto'o, Herny or Sheva and I dont think he will ever be. So, I dont think he is ready to play in the big big clubs. So, I think Tottenham is a great place for him, Valencia would have been great too. And I think he will make it there too. The guy has a character - special one. Unlike Stoickov or Kostadinov in the past, he doesn’t get excited a lot or doesn’t show it as they do. He is calm and thoughtful and many thinks he does is with some relative ease. That is why he looks most of the time not engaged and a bit lazy. But it is just the opposite I think - his style is such. His fantastic career and goal scoring record in Germany is a proof that they guy works hard and knows how to make it.

I wish him all the best.

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 11:57
Rising Star

Teams: Levski
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono
Bottom line - most fans love Berbo only when he scores and scores a lot. Hence, he has the aura of a talented but lazy and not very brave-hearted player.
bono, you could not be more wrong! We, Levski fans, actually love Berbatov very much. He is one of the most loved CSKA players by our fans EVER! I do not know another No. 9 without a goal in the eternal derby. LOL! How can somebody hate him? On the other, hand I remember certain player crying on his mamma's shoulder(she crying too) while the CSKA fans were screaming at him "WHORE"... and some other not so pleasant names. Do not forget that at the beginning of his career in Germany he was called "the machine for ruined chances". Yep, surely he has improved a lot since then but it's always strange when I see CSKA fans bragging about him coming out of their team, while they were the ones who hated him the most when he played in Bulgaria.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 14:05
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pe3ucTop
bono, you could not be more wrong! We, Levski fans, actually love Berbatov very much. He is one of the most loved CSKA players by our fans EVER! I do not know another No. 9 without a goal in the eternal derby. LOL! How can somebody hate him? On the other, hand I remember certain player crying on his mamma's shoulder(she crying too) while the CSKA fans were screaming at him "WHORE"... and some other not so pleasant names. Do not forget that at the beginning of his career in Germany he was called "the machine for ruined chances". Yep, surely he has improved a lot since then but it's always strange when I see CSKA fans bragging about him coming out of their team, while they were the ones who hated him the most when he played in Bulgaria.

I cannot be more RIGHT and your post here confirms my 1st post entirely. Care to read my whole post - this is exactly what I am saying: Levski fans love Berbo more than any other ex-CSKA player (but definitely not as much as their own NT players) and CSKA players love Berbo the least of all their ex players. And in this situation Berbatov is in. And he handles it quite well, few hours or minute away from the biggest record breaking contract for a Bg player ever.

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 14:41
Rising Star

Teams: Levski
IMO, the transfer to Bayer saved him. Big time! If he'd stayed one more year in that kind of environment, being sweared at by the fans of his own team, the presure would have broken him. And he was not handling it well at all. And the situation right now is not exactly the way u r descibing it. He is kind of the hero for the CSKA fans and that is what I mentioned above. That is what surprises me the most. He is the one they cheer the most on the NT games. Anyways, I do not like that kind of confrontation on those games. I never boo'ed at any player on such a game, no matter if they are ex-Levski or ex-CSKA, current Levski or current CSKA player, or any other club's player.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 22:43
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Chelsea; Inter;
Berbatov is on his way of becoming a Bulgarian Legend, without him we look quite terrible and provide little tread, I hope he does well in Tottenham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHALID View Post
Drogba is a selfish prick...freekick from 7 yards out wont let torres take it when we are 3-1 up with 5 minutes to go...
Typical Khalid reaction to a blonde girls
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 06:07
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Voller raps Berbatov: Spurs not big enough for you
tribalfootball.com - May 18, 2006

Bayer Leverkusen sports chief Rudi Voller says Dimitar Berbatov has gaffed accepting a move to Tottenham.
The former German hitman said: "He should play another year for us and wait for an offer from a top club.

"I have nothing against Tottenham but a player should wait a bit until he gets an offer from a top-three club.

"However, Tottenham are ready to pay the fee and so it is up to Dimitar."

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 06:37
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Updated: May 18, 2006
Spurs new-boy Berbatov 'turned down United offer'

SOFIA, May 18 (Reuters) - Bulgaria striker Dimitar Berbatov says he turned down an offer from Manchester United to join Tottenham Hotspur after talking to manager Martin Jol.

The 25-year-old, who has agreed a four-year deal with the Premier League club subject to a work permit, is leaving Bayer Leverkusen for a fee of 16 million euros ($20.49 million).

"I can reveal now that I had an offer from Manchester United and everyone knows what it means but after talking to Martin several times I decided to choose Spurs," he said on Thursday.

"We (the player and his agent) went to see Tottenham's match against United last month and afterwards I met Martin. It was our first meeting but I realised that he's a very special man."

"I'm glad I'll have the chance to work with him... many people have told me he is a brilliant manager."

The striker, handed the number nine shirt at White Hart Lane, also told a news conference he is keen to show that he is worth the money Spurs are paying for him.

"I'm looking forward to succeeding at Tottenham, which is a club everyone has spoken highly of," said Berbatov.

"The club made a great effort to sign me and I hope to return that effort playing for them. I've had the chance to see some Spurs matches and I really like their style of play. They are trying to play attractive football."

Berbatov, who has been on top form for Leverkusen in recent seasons and was second-top scorer in the Bundesliga last term, has become the most expensive Bulgarian player.

His national team mate Valeri Bozhinov joined Fiorentina from Lecce last year for a reported 13 million euros.

"I spent five unforgettable years in Leverkusen but I've got no doubts that joining Tottenham is a step ahead in my career," said Berbatov, who is due to link up with Spurs on July 1.

The three-times Bulgarian Footballer of the Year is confident Tottenham will soon be playing in the Champions League despite having to settle for a UEFA Cup place next season.

"I want to play in the Champions League and I'm sure I'll do it as a Spurs player," said Berbatov, who helped Leverkusen to the 2002 final a year after joining the club from CSKA Sofia.

Tottenham missed out on a place in the Champions League qualifying round after being pipped to fourth spot in the Premier League by Arsenal on the last day of the season.

"I watched their final game against West Ham and it was very emotional because I felt like a Spurs fan," said Berbatov, after a Tottenham squad hit by illness lost 2-1 at Upton Park.

Berbatov scored 69 goals in 154 matches in his five-year Bundesliga spell, having missed only two games in the last three seasons. He has also scored 31 goals in 50 full internationals.

He will become the third Bulgarian in the English Premier League, joining Charlton Athletic defender Radostin Kishishev and Portsmouth striker Svetoslav Todorov.

socccernet

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 23:45
World Class Player

Teams: AC Milan, Levski
Quote:
Originally Posted by luba
the problem at leverkusen was that the ball was always passed to berbatov. Of course he will miss he is getting almost all of their chances and he is at the center of every Bayer Leverkusen attack. They will really miss him.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2006, 05:59
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Spurs striker Berbatov: Man Utd wanted me as Ruud replacement
tribalfooball.com - August 07, 2006

Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov has revealed Manchester United made a late bid for him.

"When I had only scored six goals in my first season in the Bundesliga, Spurs came and said they liked me and wanted to buy me, but Leverkusen said no," explained Berbatov.

"So I stayed there, but Tottenham were always in contact with the club and said they still wanted me whatever happened.

"I scored 21 goals and Leverkusen raised the price, but Tottenham said 'okay, we will pay it'. Spurs had a long-standing interest.

"They can buy whoever they want, but they wanted to buy me and I appreciated that.

"It is correct Manchester United wanted to buy me. As a matter of fact I spoke with one of the managers at Manchester United.

"They had a problem with van Nistelrooy, but I could not wait so long, so I said no.

"I cannot remember exactly when they contacted me, but it was at the end of the season some time.

"But Spurs were with me the whole time and sometimes that is more important."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in