Plamen Getov - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2005, 11:43 Thread Starter
Rookie

Plamen Getov

Does anyone remembers this player? What does he do now? Still Assistant coach in Spartak Pleven?

He left some good memories in Portugal, and the myth that he had teached Hristo Stoichkov how to execute free kicks... could that be any truth in this myth? :-)

Can anyone also confirm me his career, mostly after 92???

Was he the best scorer in Bulgaria in 92/93 or was this a player with the same name?

1977/78 Spartak Varna
1978/79 Beloslav
1979-88 Spartak Pleven
1989-91 Portimonense
1991/92 Etar Veliko Tarnovo
1992/93 Levski Sofia
1993-95 Shumen
1994/95 Cherno more Varna
1995/96 Chaves
1995-98 Spartak Pleven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2005, 13:07
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
We remeber him well. A very talanted player in his prime, played in the NT on regular basis in teh 80s, including Mexico 86.

Myth is not true! The guy who tought Stoickov how to take free-kicks is called Petar Zehtinski (Zico). A legend of Botrev Plovdiv, one of teh best free kick takers in Bulgaria. Hristo has adimitted this more than once. Zechtisnki also had a career in portugal if I remeber well

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2005, 01:50
Rookie

first, Hristos voskrese, everybody! once again, i suggest that our two forums (this one and FF) help each other instead of turning back on each other.

now, i'm a big Spartak Pleven fan (though a young one) and have been following Plamen Getov's activities in the last ten years. I ADMIRE THIS GUY! don't know if he was among the people teaching Stoitchkov master his free kicks, but Getov was the King of the free kicks. i won't forget one of the last matches in which Getov scored. He was probably about 37 years old, and was in no shape to run normally on the pitch, but scored a hat-trick against Etar Veliko Tarnovo 4:1. the first two were from free kicks, the last one from la piola, which the audience long applauded (coz he was already pretty heavy). when a free kick was given though everyone knew that the ball would end up in the net if Plamen Getov performed it. in that exact match, when the second free kick was given i ran behind the Etar goal for the purpose of seeing HOW Getov will score, not IF he will score.

he had been technical director at the club for several years before being fired from the post in March. the reason for that was the first loss of Spartak in the spring. after Getov left, three more losses followed in the next four matches, :depress: which surprisingly pushed the team out of the fight for the three promotion spots to A grupa.

Last edited by ktotakoi; May 1st, 2005 at 02:17.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:20 Thread Starter
Rookie

Very nice to read your post, ktotakoi.
I have only one doubt about Getov... was he topscorer of bulgarian championship in 92/93 or was a player with same name???
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2005, 19:01
Rising Star

Um, I've never heard of another player with the same name, so...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2005, 19:13
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
Plamen Getov was unique in many ways. If he was a bit more ambitious or a bit more lucky, he could have made a name in europe I guess.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old June 4th, 2005, 16:51
Rising Star

Teams: Partizan
That's a blast from the past. I remember the goal he scored against us (Yugoslavia) in the '86 WC qualifiers. It was a free kick and he beat our goalkeeper on the side of the goal that the GK was supposed to be protecting. (I think that he might've even scored twice from the same FK because the ref ordered a retake after the first one, but i could be wrong). You won the game 2:1 if my memory serves me right. He was a good player, wore no. 7 and had fair hair
The main reason why I remember him though is his first name.
Is that a common name in Bulgaria?

I was standing in for Punky Brewster when all of you was nothing!

Last edited by Nislija; June 4th, 2005 at 17:09.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in