can somebody explain - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2005, 21:50 Thread Starter
Premier Player

can somebody explain

Can somebody explain to me what was Stoichkov's idea behind this ridiculous formation? We played 35 minutes with Blagoi Georgiev as a left winger and on the right side Zrdavko Lazarov, which is so untypical of him. On top of all, Martin Petrov was consatntly shifting places and couldn't show even a bit of his potential. Our coach behaved as if this is a friendly game for experimenting! That's what I have to say about Hungary-Bulgaria at the moment...and also a big THANK YOU to Stilian Petrov, he was omnipresent in this game
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2005, 01:04
Premier Player

The fact is Stoichkov is a gambler, he relies on surprize. I don't know if he planned as well to make Berbatov do so much work in the midfield, but that also has proven fatal as Mitko wasn't concentrated enough in his primary task - goals... And take a look at the substitutions our coach makes - unreasonable: we lose against Sweden and he strenghtens the defense; now that we are actually winning he takes out a capable counter attack player such as Lazarov and we play with 3 forwards Gonzo, Berbatov and Manchev (even though the last acted as a right wing). :sweeteye:
Hristo has a lot to learn, and I never really supported the decision to put him in charge. Yes he can motivate our players, and would be useful in the staff not in command.
I know it's not the best time to attack the coach, but he ridiculled the whole audience in BG with his intention to turn us into Barcelona. The fact is we have 5 good players (that I wouldn't call stars yet), and a lot of cheap ones that could be mediocre for European standards.
It would be smarter to use our potential to the fullest and carefully take each chance we are given. Trying to overplay the likes of Sweden is dumb.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2005, 08:15
Premier Player

Teams: Lokomotiv Plovdiv
oh come on...everybody admired Stoichkov when he took the risk of placing two players with no NT experience, against Croatia and they pulled out a great performance and now everybody is discussing about why he uses unorthodox tactics, thus blaming him...

After this draw, I can surely say that the BG NT surely lacks the mentality of a winner while the mentality of a whiner starts to take over. I mean from the last 3 games for the WC, there is always some claim made by the Bulgarian internationals such as "non existent" penalties given against them while penalties not given to them, there havent been a foul before the goal scored by the opponent...or...the opponent has fouled our player before scoring etc...but the most vivid "excuse" out of all was something like "well, with such a (crapy) BG championship, we cant expect to do much on international level" but such excuse cant be used vs Hungary now because, although I admire Hungary as a country, their championship is as crapy as the Bulgarian is, if not even worse.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2005, 08:23 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Techno
oh come on...everybody admired Stoichkov when he took the risk of placing two players with no NT experience, against Croatia and they pulled out a great performance and now everybody is discussing about why he uses unorthodox tactics, thus blaming him...
When Stoichkov makes mistakes I can't just close my eyes, because these were obvious mistakes and I am gonna stick to my opinion. You saw yourself the chaotic behaviour of our team, we scored just because Hungary is not Sewden. Gainni put it very well calling Stoichkov 'a gambler'. But was that the right time? Now it's all over
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2005, 14:08
Premier Player

Teams: Lokomotiv Plovdiv
Perhaps he is a gambler and lacks coaching experience but what Stoichkov have given the Bulgarian NT will always compensate every qualification failure. After all, we have always and will be qualifying only on some WC and Euro championships and will not aim that much to win but rather to just go as far as possible(which wont be far) but what Stoichkov(with many other great players,of course) did 10 years ago doesnt seem likely to happen in the next 50 years for us(judging by the dodgy situation in the BG football) so I would NEVER ever give him the blame ,especially when other BG manager, placed in charge of the NT, would have done the same anyway.

ps - Actually I didnt watch the game...in fact, I havent watched any game of the Bulgarian NT for the last 5-6 years except the ones at the Euro and wasnt very excited when I did.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2005, 15:09
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
Teh subs last night were rediculous indeed. But so was teh entire coaching NT career of Dimitar penev but we ended up 4th in eth world. Remeber when we had only one healthy D v. Mexico and he still didnt play Niki Iliev? Well ... what can you say.

Last night when I saw teh 1st sub, I felt sick ... then with the second it was simply time to lough. And what I said (to my hungarian gf ) is - our coach is either a genious or quite stupid. Actually, I meant - he is either as lucky as a coach as he was as a player (he is still the luckiest player I have ever seen - with so few, close to one or two, real football qualitie, he became one of teh biggest football stars of the decade) OR he is stupid and doesnt know what he is doing.

Or, as few ppl had suggested to today - he is totally run over by managers' interests ...

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old April 1st, 2005, 12:20
xtc
International

Teams: J.......
The first two substitutions were well placed as the Hungarians were running out of breath and were practically clueless about what's going on. The fact is that Berbatov and Petrov just had no other coice but to score. They didnt do it and it was a proof for the mediocre mentality and skills that they posses when it comes to moments of determination, so I would be happy for once if we stop prizing them as a great champions.
To me then it comes Stoichkov with letting Gonzo play what actually made our day a hard one as it was obvious that we were lacking luck (or better - ability) to score a second goal, so that it was far more reasonable to slow-down the tempo of the game and get the 3 ****ing points; not playing the macho type of team which we just cant be.

VENI. VIDI. VICI.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old April 1st, 2005, 23:32
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtc
The first two substitutions were well placed as the Hungarians were running out of breath and were practically clueless about what's going on. The fact is that Berbatov and Petrov just had no other coice but to score. They didnt do it and it was a proof for the mediocre mentality and skills that they posses when it comes to moments of determination, so I
Martin's job is not to play as a striker and score the way a striker should, how can he play when he's not used to that? His job is to be a left wing and Stoichkov didn't let him play there... And Berbatov... why was he almost a midfielder? He was too back...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in