State of Origin - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2002, 05:23 Thread Starter
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
State of Origin

What does everyone think about the State of Origin? I used to love watching Victoria-South Australia matches. They were passionate and exciting, and brought a real sense of pride over the state.

I do not understand why State of Origin football is no longer and why many of the 'higher powers' in the AFL have said that it won't be back.

EJ Whitten would be turning in his grave right now. I remember the 1995 State of Origin match at the MCG, when good old Teddy was doing a lap of honour for the last time before he died. Tens of thousands of Victorians and even the South Australians were clapping and many were crying as it was such an emotional moment.

I think that if the AFL goes back to the drawing board and comes up with a consistant and fair system, then State of Origin could be alive again.

Firstly, they need to make it a competition and not just a one off match between Victoria and South Australia. Try and get everyone involved as this is an Australian game, not just a Victorian one.

Secondly, sort of proper teams not not go changing it every year. (one year all the states participated, then we had the Allies then then just two teams...) Make 6 teams and stick by it. Victoria, South Australia, New South Wales, Western Australia, Queensland and Tasmania. If Tasmania isn't as strong as the others than maybe they can merge with ACT and NT to make an Allied team.

Thirdly, schedule it for the end of the season and not in between the season. The main reason interest died down was because players weren't committed to their state during the year and many big players didn't play.

What does everyone think?

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2002, 12:59
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
I am a great fan of State of Origin but Footy is so proffesional these days that players will think of injuries & pay packs instead of State pride. Just think how stuffed would you feel you a 22 year old , 5 clubs are chasing you cause your kicking arse & your contracts up and they are all showing you mega $$$$$$$$ and you play state of origin and bust your knee ???? I would feel sickened to the guts !!!

How would Essendon fans feel if Hird busted his knee playing for the Allies , or Brissy fans if Simon Black playing for WA or Dockers fans if it were Pavlich playing for SA ..... I would tell you things would get pretty ugly amongst the fans & just think what would the clubs think ???

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old December 14th, 2002, 06:24
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
I love it too, but the injury factor is a point.

Tony Hall did his knee in a state game and was never the same again.

It's a shame because this season each state was basically level in terms of talent and ability.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old December 14th, 2002, 09:22 Thread Starter
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
The risk of injury is going to be there in whatever they do. It is the same risk as playing International Rules vs Ireland. And that's not even proper football...

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old December 14th, 2002, 14:22
International

Yeah Sheva, you've got a point... apparently the bruised knuckle rate was obscene

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2002, 13:22
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by dyertribe
Yeah Sheva, you've got a point... apparently the bruised knuckle rate was obscene
DT I am waiting for you to whinge when Carey , McLeod , Burns & Co are injured for round #1 when they have been hurt in Ansett Cup Fixtures !!!! At least its an excuse when you's get pounded in #1 !!!!!!!!

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2002, 13:28
International

Quote:
Originally posted by COUTO 5
DT I am waiting for you to whinge when Carey , McLeod , Burns & Co are injured for round #1 when they have been hurt in Ansett Cup Fixtures !!!! At least its an excuse when you's get pounded in #1 !!!!!!!!

Got my gold membership renewal in front of me... bring it on :fero:

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2002, 13:34
Star Player

Quote:

Got my gold membership renewal in front of me... bring it on :fero:
Let me tell you a story !!!!!!!

McManus will kick 8 goals to win us the game in #1 !!!!!!!!

We Will be pumped !!!!!!!!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2002, 13:39
Star Player

Quote:
Let me tell you a story !!!!!!!

McManus will kick 8 goals to win us the game in #1 !!!!!!!!

We Will be pumped !!!!!!!!
How will crow eaters react when they get smashed by Freo in #1 !!!!!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2002, 13:45
Star Player

Quote:
How will crow eaters react when they get smashed by Freo in #1 !!!!!!
Pavlich will kick 5 as well as Byron Schammer !!!!!!!!!!!!

Go west Adelaide !!!!
Pavva !!!!!!!
Schammer !!
Modra !!!!!!

West Adeleide Boys love Freo !! I hear you live in West Adeliade DT !!!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2002, 13:56
International

Quote:
Pavlich will kick 5 as well as Byron Schammer !!!!!!!!!!!!

Go west Adelaide !!!!
Pavva !!!!!!!
Schammer !!
Modra !!!!!!

West Adeleide Boys love Freo !! I hear you live in West Adeliade DT !!!

Pavlich is from Woodville-West Torrens mate And I live nowhere near the tip that is the west-saeeeeeeeeed!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2002, 14:15
Star Player

Quote:
Pavlich is from Woodville-West Torrens mate And I live nowhere near the tip that is the west-saeeeeeeeeed!
doesnt matter

we'll keep those West Adelaide ( Specailly the Torrens Boy )boys any way Dt I know Deep down you HARBOUR a FREO JUmper in yourcloset which you wear at 1 am evry morning when your family are asleep !!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in