The salary cap needs to be reformed. - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2002, 14:09 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
The salary cap needs to be reformed.

Im quite annoyed at this system as it seems teams pay the price for Success This season it was Essendon next it will be Richmond then Melbourne and so on.players are getting greedier or their managers are,Whatever the case the system is'nt working to well I can understand the concept of having a Cap but allowing teams like Brisbane and Sydney more room than the others is just Ludicrous.
You cant say this is the price of keeping players in the state they're playing in instead its the price to keep your current crop of Top players with Top ups on their salarie.This is something that all other sides are missing out on.The WB and the Kangaroos have to work on a 92.5 percent Cap which already restricts these cash strapped clubs already,It seems theres a fine line between success and failure but in terms of things being on a parallel basis I think not.

........ Planet Milan ........

"Il Milan con il cuore e insieme andiamo avanti"
"Siamo Il Milan non deve dire altro"

The poster formerly known as Schumy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2002, 04:01
Star Player

i totally agree with ya, personally i think we should adopt the soccer transfer system, i think it would work better
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2002, 06:46
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Trust me guys if it werent for the salary cap , most Vic clubs wouldve gone down by now

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2002, 07:33
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
The VFL was gawn before West Coast and Adelaide came in and pumped millions back into the league in the form of merchandise, memberships and license-fees and the league received a double-whammy in 95 and 97 when Freo and the Power came in and added more money.

The communist 'equalisation policy' the AFL works under - salary-cap, equalisation fund, etc. - is there purely for the benefit of the sh1t clubs like North, Saints, Bullies and Geelong.

If a free-agency transfer-market came in Carlton, Adelaide and Essendon would bleed dry these smaller clubs of their stars, making them uncompetitive (Fitzroy anyone?), and thus these clubs would die and we'd be left with a smaller league.

I think the way to go would be unrestricted trades with a mid-season trade-deadline with a much higher cap.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old November 3rd, 2002, 12:13 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
I follow you Couts and DT it's just sad how these clubs seem to have to pay for success.But well I guess there are many tougher systems around and I know this one allows more room for the smaller clubs.But still each season Success seems to bring that horrible ugly side of negativeness.

........ Planet Milan ........

"Il Milan con il cuore e insieme andiamo avanti"
"Siamo Il Milan non deve dire altro"

The poster formerly known as Schumy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2002, 03:36
CUG
Legend

Teams: Juventus
the salary cap should be increased. IMO when teams have many good players, they have to sign them up with huge contracts.

i couldnt see transfers happening like soccer....not enough moeny is involved in the game.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2002, 12:05
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
CUG, I tend to disagree with you on the soccer-esque transfers not occurring etc.

Although the AFL has followed the American system of franchise sport with salary-caps, player-draft and player-trade models, I can see cash-transfers coming into the game if free-agency were introduced.

Of course we're not going to see multi-million dollar transfers but it is quite feasible to see moneybags Adelaide buying Sean Wellman back from Essendon for say $100k... etc etc.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in