Anyone ever heard of... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2002, 17:31 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Liverpool, Ireland
Anyone ever heard of...

Maurise Fitzgerald...

He was big, he was offered contracts with Essington, Sydney Swans, and that team that won the cup this year, am BBB....
who was it???

He was also offered a contract by The Bears in america and Notre Dame as a kicker in American Football

But he turned them all down to play GAA

Sporadic Xtratime user and bad speller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2002, 08:59
Star Player

no, i'm sorry RK, but nobody has heard of this guy, and you know why, because this is an AFL forum, and in here nobody cares about GAA its a crap sport
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2002, 15:24
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
No

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2002, 20:22 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Re: Anyone ever heard of...

Quote:
Originally posted by RobbieKeane
Maurise Fitzgerald...

He was big, he was offered contracts with Essington, Sydney Swans, and that team that won the cup this year, am BBB....
who was it???

I think if you read that carefully, you might see a reference to afl.
I'm upset that you have to be so bigoted as to say GAA is crap.I'm sure 30 million people( nearly 9 times our population)around the world who tuned in to watch the all-ireland final would disagree.I wrote this here because I thought i would get a straight answer, like COUTO 5 there, obviosly i was wrong in thinking that.I wrote this post here because i'm writing an article in a college magazine about GAA, and this particular player is very well known, I thought there might be some friendly Aussies who could give me information on this guy...even a little help with the name of the team I couldn't think of.

Alarich, have you ever seen a Gaa match, and do you even play Aussie Rules?I hope you have a valid reason for saying that because as a true GAA fan, football is my life, its my blood and anyone who bad mouths our game really gets on my nerves.I'd also love to know what games you're basing your opinions on, because from where i'm sitting it looks like you don't have a clue what your on about.
I don't bad mouth your game why do you bad mouth mine.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2002, 00:15
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
havent heard anything

personally i like gaelic footy, i used to watch it on sbs when it was on, trhe crowd is aqwesome..........

but im totally against the international rules concept, it doesnt do us any justice whatsoever
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2002, 06:21
Star Player

in reply to your comments on my statment RK, i would like to say that i'm not basing any of my opinion on any games, instead i'm basing my opinions on logic, logically speaking, GAA is a crap sport because its not a very popular sport, the only countries that i know of that plays GAA is Ireland and maybe even the poms, and because its not a very popular sport, it poins to the fact that it is a crap sport, because people don't play crap sports, and that's why those sports are unpopular. AFL on the other is not a crap sport because its more popular than GAA, in fact AFL is a rapidly growing sport which can be found in other countries such as New Zealand and even the USA

so you see RK, base on my theory on the relationship between how popular a sport is compare to its crappiness, the statment that i made earlier was quite correct
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2002, 06:25
Star Player

and also, just for the record RK, i have seen a GAA match before, also on SBS
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2002, 09:28
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Man I have played Gaelic Football in the WA leagues just filling in under a false name !!!!!!!!!!

It is a tough game , & I only lasted under a half !!!
I got sent off & the guy whos name I played under got rubbed out for 6 weeks !!

I pleaded Not Guilty but they saw the evidence pretty damning as the victim got rubbed out for 2 weeks for punching me in the kidneys. After he did that we were going up for a marking duel and insted of going for the grab I ran through him & busted his ribs. But it wasnt determined what actually busted his ribs , me giving him the shirtfront or me stomping on him after he hit the deck . I will always maintain I had eyes for the ball only & when in the tribunal it was argued I had the ball in my hands & shooting on goal !!

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2002, 17:22 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Alarich
in reply to your comments on my statment RK, i would like to say that i'm not basing any of my opinion on any games, instead i'm basing my opinions on logic, logically speaking, GAA is a crap sport because its not a very popular sport, the only countries that i know of that plays GAA is Ireland and maybe even the poms, and because its not a very popular sport, it poins to the fact that it is a crap sport, because people don't play crap sports, and that's why those sports are unpopular. AFL on the other is not a crap sport because its more popular than GAA, in fact AFL is a rapidly growing sport which can be found in other countries such as New Zealand and even the USA

so you see RK, base on my theory on the relationship between how popular a sport is compare to its crappiness, the statment that i made earlier was quite correct
The all ireland final got 30 million viewers worldwide.
The sport was never promoted overseas.
There is a GAA league in america and New York play in the All Ireland Championship.At the last GAA match in america the crowd was over 67,000.
An 80000 seater stadium is deticated only to GAA.That stadium was filled on a few occasions this year.Hurling is 'the fastest land sport' (very exciting too) and possibly the most skillfull sport.The main reason Hurling hasn't caught on is because its so hard to play.
So you see Alarich-Your idiotic view on GAA is wrong.I'm sure if the population of Ireland was about the same as Oz then the game would be world wide.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2002, 05:38
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Quote:
I'm sure if the population of Ireland was about the same as Oz then the game would be world wide.

Our population is only 19 million - hardly big compared to other traditional sporting powers.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2002, 09:39
Star Player

Quote:
The all ireland final got 30 million viewers worldwide.
The sport was never promoted overseas.
There is a GAA league in america and New York play in the All Ireland Championship.At the last GAA match in america the crowd was over 67,000.
An 80000 seater stadium is deticated only to GAA.That stadium was filled on a few occasions this year.Hurling is 'the fastest land sport' (very exciting too) and possibly the most skillfull sport.The main reason Hurling hasn't caught on is because its so hard to play.
So you see Alarich-Your idiotic view on GAA is wrong.I'm sure if the population of Ireland was about the same as Oz then the game would be world wide.
well excuse me RK, if you're trying to impress me with your numbers and statistics, you have fail, cause i can give you even bigger numbers and statistics about AFL which shows AFL is better than GAA, but i'm not, cause i ain't an idiot like you, i got better things to do than to go around looking for numbers and statistics. BTW, i've noticed that in your response to my reply on your comments on my statement, you haven't actually denied the fact that GAA is a crap sport compare to AFL. all you've done is make you sport look even crappier, i mean the fact it only got 30 million viewers is pretty crap in itself, in fact GAA is so crap that i'll have to put GAA right next to Netball and women tennis. Also another thing not only is GAA a crap sport it is also a CON sport in that they rip ideas of other sports and paced it in theirs (football, rugby, and AFL).
In conclusion: Just ask anyone around here, and they'll probably agree with the fact that GAA is crap compared to AFL, I rest my case
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2002, 18:04 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Of course your going to say that.Go to Ireland and ask most people how they rate aussie rules...they'll say its crap in comparision with Gaelic Football and especially Hurling.

You have never seen a bloody Hurling or Gaelic Football match, so don't say its crap.You're basing you're stupid opinions on Popularity.
Baseball is popular...doesn't make it a good sport...same with the long distance running in track and field

I was giving numbers and statistics to show that the sport is popular.
''. Also another thing not only is GAA a crap sport it is also a CON sport in that they rip ideas of other sports and paced it in theirs (football, rugby, and AFL)''.
GAA HAS BEEN PLAYED BEFORE THOSE SPORTS WERE POPULAR
Obviously it has influence from other sports, but you can say that 'bout AfL too.-In fact you can say that about every sport.

Gaelic games have been played since the Celts arrived in the country, so don't say we copied you're sport.

The Championship wasn't set up until the 19 centuary but Areas had their own leagues often played between families.

Learn the facts before you make stupid statements, I'm not here to presuade you to like my sport...I couldn't give a Fu*k....but your points are so thick its unbelieveable!!!

Last edited by RobbieKeane; October 22nd, 2002 at 18:07.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old October 23rd, 2002, 07:43
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Take it easy mate - you're acting more like Roy than Robbie.

Alarich was a tad harsh, but I think we've established that all the Aussies on this forum have seen games of Gaelic and Hurling - as we've told you repeatedly, we get limited coverage on SBS and Channel 9's old Wide World of Sports program.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.

Last edited by dyertribe; October 23rd, 2002 at 07:46.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in