Can I Be Controversial For A Second? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2002, 13:58 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Can I Be Controversial For A Second?

Brisbane are a great team yes, but aren't as good as everybody in the media has made out - even moreso in this season than last.

Fact:

Port Adelaide were minor premiers, and therefore the best side in the minor round and arguably 'all year' - not Brisbane.

Fact:

Brisbane's two finals were at home against an Adelaide side coming off a Perth road-trip and a Port Adelaide side who lost their bottle the moment the final siren went against the Pies a couple of weeks earlier - and besides, do they ever lose a final up there???

Basically what I am saying is that Brisbane had an excellent minor round, but Port's (on percentage only but it counts) was better. And Brisbane, thanks to Port's upset loss to the Pies handed Brisbane a walk-up Grand Final berth with 2 home finals at the GABBA.

They are a great side yes, but had a lot of luck and advantages along the way - and that's before we mention the headstart they have in the cap.

Thoughts?

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2002, 16:19
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
With the salary cap thing, I know it is an unfair advantage on the rest of the competition but for the sake of this discussion lets try and not make it an issue.

OK, personally I thought that Brisbane were the bench mark for the whole league. They deserved the premiership 100% and in my oppinion were clearly the best team in the AFL.

Going into the year they had the pressure of being the reigning champs and as we know, it is not the easiest thing winning back to back premierships.

When looking at the ladder, Brisbane were on top for 15 rounds. They were second for 6 rounds and were 4th at the beginning of the year. Port Adelaide started slowly and dropped to 13th after two weeks. They climbed back to the top and eventually sat first for a total of 6 rounds (and eventually ended up on top). They were second for 9 rounds which means they were in the top two for a total of 15 rounds, compared to Brisbanes 21.

Port Adelaide ended the season on top of the ladder by a game. That Round 22 match could have gone either way, Port weren't clearly the better side. So IMO that (minor premiership) doesn't necessarily prove that they were better than Brisbane. If you look at the matches they played against each other, Brisbane is clearly the better side.

Round 7- Brisbane 129 v 72 Port Power- GABBA
Round 22- Port Power 90 v 84 Brisbane- AAMI
PF- Brisbane 138 v 82 Port Power- GABBA

Overall: Brisbane, 2 wins for 351 points v 1 win for 244 points, Port Power.

You mentioned that Brisbane were gifted with an easy run in the finals, but you overlooked the fact that Port Adelaide were in the pole position going into the finals. They both had a home final and Port threw theres away, whereas Brisbane grabbed the opportunity. Then when Port were given their second chance they struggled over the line before facing the Lions once again, where Brisbane gave them a complete football lesson.

You also mentioned 'Does Brisbane ever lose a final up there?' The answer is no. They don't because they take their chances by the scruff of the enck, unlike Port who already have lost 3 out of 4 home finals in their time.

Brisbane were more consistant than Port Adelaide. They never lost 2 in a row and were on top for most of the year. Their percentage was the best in the league as they scored the most points for and conceded the 2nd least points against.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you get to the finals. All that matters is what you do in the finals. You can finish 8th and get the same result in the finals as 1st does, so the final standing doesn't mean much. What matters is how well you play in finals. This is where teams are judged. The Port Adelaide of 2001-2002 will never be judged a great team because they choked in the finals, whereas the Brisbane Lions of 2001-2002 will be judged as a great team because they succeeded when it mattered.

Brisbane deserved to be the Premiers and deserved all the hype they got, because the clearly are the best team in the competition.

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2002, 02:02
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
I think brisbane are clearly the best side in the comp.

and the fact of the matter is the salary cap issue is very much the over-riding factor

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2002, 06:07
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Quote:
Originally posted by tigerTUFF
I think brisbane are clearly the best side in the comp.

and the fact of the matter is the salary cap issue is very much the over-riding factor
Too True Tiges
Brisbane though have an unfair advantage coming to the salary cap & as for finals fixturing , weel as the old saying goes , thats the way the cookie crumbles !!

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2002, 06:44 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Ah discussion

I am still revelling in the fact that in 25 years time no-one will remember Essendon's golden-era 99-01 where they changed football and only lost a handful of games over 3 seasons because they only have 1 flag, and thanks to Brisbane after them and North and Adelaide before them

One thing is for certain ... the advent of the Lions dominance and Leigh Matthews has certainly tarnished Sheedy's legacy.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2002, 18:17
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Quote:
Originally posted by dyertribe
One thing is for certain ... the advent of the Lions dominance and Leigh Matthews has certainly tarnished Sheedy's legacy.
Sorry DT !!
Sheedy's legacy has not been tarnished , he has been at Essendon for 21 years now a huge amount of time, he has been to 7 Grand Finals in that time ( 1 every 3 seasons ) !!

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2002, 03:57
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Perahps Essendon Underachieved and in the end their Superiorority won't show in the record books in the Ens,Maybe we could compare that Essendon side to this Brisbane one.I think the salary Cap is a major problem it allows brisbame and sydney the flexibility to squeeze their way through with extra players in the end which can have a significant effect on the Final result.
I dont see myself as thorough as the rest of you in terms of valuations and performances,And I believe it's to hard to compare this Brisbane side yet to the Great hawthorn and etc.

........ Planet Milan ........

"Il Milan con il cuore e insieme andiamo avanti"
"Siamo Il Milan non deve dire altro"

The poster formerly known as Schumy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in