Wallace Quitting At The End Of The Season! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 06:25 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Wallace Quitting At The End Of The Season!

In a shock move Terry Wallace has said he is resigning at the end of the season and will be looking for a fresh start elsewhere.

Goodnight Wayne Brittain.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 07:44
CUG
Legend

Teams: Juventus
yep, just heard on the news flash that he was leaving and is tipped to coach my team the Blues!! not happy about that.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 08:14
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
swannies, blues, Doggies, all looking for a new coach

and maybes? Saints?, Hawks? Nth?

Id say wallace to the swans, but apparently roos almost has a mortgage on it.............

I heard schwab sacked and eade to take over, or maybe now wallace????? one things for sure both wallace and eade will both be highly sought after.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 12:20
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Im with the Swans and if this is True Id like to say I feel sorry for The Bulldogs and Paul Roos,Roosy has looked like doing enough to secure the job for next year but you know footy.

........ Planet Milan ........

"Il Milan con il cuore e insieme andiamo avanti"
"Siamo Il Milan non deve dire altro"

The poster formerly known as Schumy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2002, 15:31
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Quote:
Originally posted by tigerTUFF

and maybes? Saints?, Hawks? Nth?

I reckon Hawks , just a gut feeling

Hawthorn have a fetish for Former premiership players

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2002, 14:38
Star Player

Well i am not a religious AFL follower like all you guys being from the northern states but i have been watching some of the swans games and i'll be absolutely livered if they give Wallace the job ahead of Roosey

Roos has done more than enough IMO in his short time in charge and i think the most important factor with him is the fact he is a former Swans player (and a recent one at that ) and hence will probably have more heart for the job and more rapport with the fans.

Sure Wallace is a much more experienced and "bigger name" coach and did really well with the doggies a few seasons ago but his recent record is nothing to crow about. He'll probably cost more than Roos and i think it is a risky investment, especially with all the big name coaches Sydney have got over the years. I'm sure Roos would do just as good if not better job and a much smaller price tag

The thing that has impressed me most about him is that he is prepared to give youth a go and is trying out as many different players as possible to gee which ones have what is takes
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2002, 14:56
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
Quote:
Originally posted by Andreas
Well i am not a religious AFL follower like all you guys being from the northern states but i have been watching some of the swans games and i'll be absolutely livered if they give Wallace the job ahead of Roosey

Roos has done more than enough IMO in his short time in charge and i think the most important factor with him is the fact he is a former Swans player (and a recent one at that ) and hence will probably have more heart for the job and more rapport with the fans.

Sure Wallace is a much more experienced and "bigger name" coach and did really well with the doggies a few seasons ago but his recent record is nothing to crow about. He'll probably cost more than Roos and i think it is a risky investment, especially with all the big name coaches Sydney have got over the years. I'm sure Roos would do just as good if not better job and a much smaller price tag

The thing that has impressed me most about him is that he is prepared to give youth a go and is trying out as many different players as possible to gee which ones have what is takes
gr8 to see ure opinion speck!

The swanies will have to do major rebuilding, so the fans will have to be patient, Wallace has proven he can turn over the list pretty damn quick, contrary to wot it looks from a northerners point of view, wallace has rebuilt the doggies in little less than 2 seasons into a frightening running brigade, if they hadda one 2 of the 6 very winnable losses first up they would have swept into the finals

but I also agree roos has been very impressive thus far, but hes very inexperienced and passion can sometimes cover- for a little while- a lack of tactical nous.

Personally i think wallace is aware he is amongst the better coaches in the AFL, and going to sydney and becoming the messiah ala blighty at crowcity, will lift him to sheedy and matthews status, something I believe he wants. good luck to him, If I could pick any coach Id have him as my number 1 without a doubt.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2002, 15:06
Star Player

i see your point (and kinda expected that view actually)

However i don't think that experience is always the be all and end all when it comes to coaching. Sometimes former players and even ppl outside the game takes to coaching like a duck to water and have a kind of 6th sense whereas others can study the manuals all they want and will never succeed)

I think the only difference between Roos and Wallace is that one is a unknown quantity and the other a proven performer at this level. But even that doesn't necessarily mean that Wallace will be a success here

Of course i can see the reluctance of Sydney to pass up the opportunity of landing Wallace but i hope that if they do sign him, then Roos is offered a full time gig at another club instead of being an assistent once again and if this is the case then i hope he comes back to Sydney in a few years as a successful coach
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2002, 15:13 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
I know Roos has had better results, but for some reason when I think of Roos coaching the Swans I think of Merrett coaching the Bears.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in