Who's your favourite commentator? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2002, 10:42 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Who's your favourite commentator?

I was wondering guys about your favourite commentator,Im just curious what names will crop up.Gees there are a few Bruce Mcavaney,dennis Commetti,drew Morphett etc.Im sorry if there are others which I have'nt included please go ahead and state your fav,Anyway while Im at it Ill say mine It's Bruce Mcavaney he's fantastic and he really livens up the game and he's so Intelligent.

........ Planet Milan ........

"Il Milan con il cuore e insieme andiamo avanti"
"Siamo Il Milan non deve dire altro"

The poster formerly known as Schumy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2002, 12:44
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Sory Mr Meazza
, McAvvanney is as gay as they come !!!!!!!!

My favourite commentator is either Brad Hardie or Commetti

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2002, 14:49
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Quote:
Originally posted by COUTO 5
Sory Mr Meazza
, McAvaney is as gay as they come !!!!!!!!

My favourite commentator is either Brad Hardie or Commetti
Fair dinkum Couts ... you and your West Aussies!!!

Best TV Commentator = Bruce McAvaney, Anthony Hudson with Dennis Commetti third.

Best Commentary Team = The 3AW Commentary Team of a few years ago before Huddo left for 7 and Sam sold out to go to MMM. You had big Rexy, Huddo and Sam on special comments with the occassional "wake up Ron!" prompting Barass into action

Worst Commentator = Drew Morphett - he was a biased fcukwit. Want the perfect example? If you can remember the 1997 Preliminary Final between Adelaide vs Bulldogs all Drew could do in the second half was crap on about how wonderful the "fairytale" Grand Final would be the week after between the Saints and Bulldogs. The coup-de-grace was with 12 minutes to go in the final qtr when he invited viewers to tune in next week for the Western Bulldogs vs St Kilda Grand Final.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2002, 15:10
Star Player

Whats wrong with West Aussies ???

Just cause I dont like McAvanney dont let it upset you , its just my opinion !!!

I will give reasons why , I am suspicious Carey didnt play this season cause the real reason was he didnt cheat on his missus with Kelli Stevens but really , Bruce McAvanney. I got sick to the guts when you watch a game and say it was Geelong v Kangaroos ... Geelongs Cameron Ling would take a scy scraping one handed screamer where he actually launched himself off the shoulders off Mathew Burton and Bruce Mc would say " Ohh thats a gutsy mark by Ling "

2 minutes later Carey would lead out & twice juggle an un contested mark with no one around & Bruce Mac will yell " CAreYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!! , WHat A Mark !!!" & I bet he yelled it out like this so it drowned out the noise of him batting off in the effects microphone. I bet now he is happy he was left to bat over Cathy Freeman at C7

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2002, 08:16 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Thats funny what about Oh Bradley Drills it or Oh Special,He did Milk the moment but I found him exciting.Commetti is also imaginative.Anyone like Peter Landy a few years back of course.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2002, 18:51
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by MR MEAZZA
Thats funny what about Oh Bradley Drills it or Oh Special,He did Milk the moment but I found him exciting.Commetti is also imaginative.Anyone like Peter Landy a few years back of course.
Landy should be in prison!!!!!

Forca Commetti !!!

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2002, 13:43
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
Good topic for discussion

TV Commentators = Good old Italiano Cometti McAvaney, Hudson, and yes Landy was alright.

Radio = Rex Hunt, Karl Langdon, George Grijulsich

Was King Italy..
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2002, 13:55
Star Player

I quite enjoyed Mal Brown when he was on Radio !!

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2002, 14:03
International

Interesting facts about some of the names mentioned:

Commetti played for East Perth and had a fair dinkum trial with Footscray...

McAvaney played junior footy at Woodville (17s or 19s) alongside Craig Bradley ...

McGuire won best and fairest for his high school Christian Brothers College every year he was there and was a highly promising youngster who was put on the spot at North Melbourne training when Dennis Pagan asked him whether he wanted to be a footballer or a journalist (he was already a reporter on Channel 10) because he couldn't do both. McGuire made his choice.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2002, 14:37
Star Player

Commetti was West Perth all the way ............

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2002, 15:37
International

Quote:
Originally posted by COUTO 5
Commetti was West Perth all the way ............
Damn it, it was West Perth ... I couldn't remember which one so I gambled. No wonder I've lost so much money lately

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 08:28 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Wow DT interesting facts,Perhaps Eddie made the right choice he's that big now and good luck to him.On Radio does anyone like Tim Lane?

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 08:43
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
bruce and commetti are a cut above the rest.

tim lane is an awesome commentator, and would have been gr8 on the tube aswell.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 12:34
International

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerTUFF
bruce and commetti are a cut above the rest.

tim lane is an awesome commentator, and would have been gr8 on the tube aswell.
Here's a conspiracy theory TT - I'd be interested in your opinion re Tim Lane and the fracas surrounding his moral highground stance in regards to Eddie's commentary conflict of interest.

How this:

Tim Lane was scared of the whole TV thing (who could forget the smoking ruin that was his one season in the chair on Talking Footy?!) and used the Eddie McGuire/Collingwood/Conflict issues to escape to the coccoon of Radio Aunty without looking like a softc*ck.

Thoughts TT?

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 12:49
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by dyertribe

Damn it, it was West Perth ... I couldn't remember which one so I gambled. No wonder I've lost so much money lately
& he even coached them aswell , & he wasnt a bad one at that

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 13:01
Star Player

Quote:

Here's a conspiracy theory TT - I'd be interested in your opinion re Tim Lane and the fracas surrounding his moral highground stance in regards to Eddie's commentary conflict of interest.

How this:

Tim Lane was scared of the whole TV thing (who could forget the smoking ruin that was his one season in the chair on Talking Footy?!) and used the Eddie McGuire/Collingwood/Conflict issues to escape to the coccoon of Radio Aunty without looking like a softc*ck.

Thoughts TT?
I'll give a thought DT

Tim Lane is a purist of the game He loves it & especailly the tradition. Now Earlier before the season started he requested not to be on the same panel as Steady eddie cause of the potential of conflict & I at the time agreed cause I to feel it is a conflict of interest - that is commentating & wearing the hat of club president. Now the whole world saw 3 outbusts of Collingwood sh!t starring Steady eddieduring the season vindicating Tim Lanes decision. Tim Lane is a man of unbiased principles and not a circus leader and thats exactly what he wouldve been with Eddie on the team. Tim Lane showed how strong a man he is too his convictions when he told Channel 9 to shaft themselves before the season proper and not a softcock who hides at the ABC- Me personally I wouldve stayed to turn the thing into a real circus and to take this piss from steady eddie at every availabvle opportunity

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 13:21
International

But at the same time Tim Lane is a huge Carlton man so if he's gonna pull the conflict of interest thing it's a bit rich. Just because McGuire holds an official position at Collingwood doesn't mean he'll be anymore or less biased than Lane or anyone else would be.

Look at Brereton, Silvagni & Lyon for heaven's sake - they all hold coaching positions at Hawthorn, Carlton & Melbourne respectively but they still call games involving those clubs ...

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 13:28
Star Player

Quote:
But at the same time Tim Lane is a huge Carlton man so if he's gonna pull the conflict of interest thing it's a bit rich. Just because McGuire holds an official position at Collingwood doesn't mean he'll be anymore or less biased than Lane or anyone else would be.

Look at Brereton, Silvagni & Lyon for heaven's sake - they all hold coaching positions at Hawthorn, Carlton & Melbourne respectively but they still call games involving those clubs ...
OK lets look at it this way............ Eddie can absolutely verbally destroy an umpire on national TV saying how Collingwood were robbed or some sh!t and not get fined cause he is a commentator
& if say Adelaides President did it on NT the AFL would have a fax waiting for him on monday ,morning for that ...please explain.

And going back to Lane ...Never once have I heard him bat off over Carlton & the other 3 they are only bit & comments people for there respective stations. Eddie McQuire holds a way more senior position in every aspect of both things then that trio.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2002, 14:47
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
Quote:

How this:

Thoughts TT?
interesting conspiracy theory dt, do u believe it?

heres actually what it was,

theres a whisper that Lane who is and always will be an ABC man through and through, played it perfectly purely for a promotional gig for the ABC, sound far-fetched? maybe-BUT notice he always refused to wear the nine logo on his jacket in photos, poses etc?

and it worked, sh!t it worked! the tobin brothers are now the number 1 listened to wireless broadcast, blitzing tripleM and going neck and neck with rex and the team at AW.

I also believe it was a bit of a personal dig at eddie himself......

Couts ure point abt eddie being able to mask his outbursts behind his commentator gig as opposed to other presidents is spot on, it is a conflict of interest more so than dermie, silvagni or Lyon.............one last thing abt Lane, he never ever makes a biased call.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2002, 02:19 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Imagine Eddie and Tim having a fight on air.Oh here comes Buckley and crack in the jaw,Oh it's all happening smack boof.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in