Port Adelaide vs Adelaide ... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2002, 07:56 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Port Adelaide vs Adelaide ...

This will be a bloodbath and a likely dress-rehearsal for the first week of the finals.

Port have been flat lately but still winning whilst my lot are coming into fine form at the right time ...

Should be a barnstormer.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2002, 09:22
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
tigers tip:

If port manage to win this one, they will go all the way to the flag, like u said dT they have been flat, but theres nothing like a derby to get the juices flowing again.............it'll go down to the wire and has the makings to an absolute smasher.

Personally i feel port may snatch this one
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2002, 12:33
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
This is too close to call, what a game it will be. Kenny what is the capacity for Football Park (I don't wanna call it Aami Stadium ) what are the chances for an attendance record?

Was King Italy..

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2002, 12:38
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Re: Port Adelaide vs Adelaide ...

Quote:
Originally posted by dyertribe
This will be a bloodbath and a likely dress-rehearsal for the first week of the finals.

Port have been flat lately but still winning whilst my lot are coming into fine form at the right time ...

Should be a barnstormer.
Bloodbath ???????

Every Showdown I have seen has been as soft as butter on a hot day !!!

Honestly I think........... phew......... Damn its to close to call !!!
I'll pick Port...just

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2002, 05:14 Thread Starter
International

What Showdowns have you been watching?

Remember the Cummings vs Jameson fistfight? Then there was the one where Bickley ran through Wanganeen and the Port faithful were calling for his blood behind play ... Who could forget Francou's hit on Liptak behind play ... Ahhh memories

KI - 56000 with the new stand.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2002, 12:05
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
Thanks for the info dyertribe Will you be going? Silly question

But speaking of Jameson and Liptak could you tell me have they completely retired or are they still playing in the SANFL or what?

Was King Italy..
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2002, 14:47
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by dyertribe
What Showdowns have you been watching?

Remember the Cummings vs Jameson fistfight? Then there was the one where Bickley ran through Wanganeen and the Port faithful were calling for his blood behind play ... Who could forget Francou's hit on Liptak behind play ... Ahhh memories

KI - 56000 with the new stand.
That still dont beat the brawl at the Western derby from 2000 !!!!!!!

& what a game that was 18 reports ( & the AFL fixed the results cause both teams wouldnt have been able to field teams the next weekend if they all had been rubbed out ) & the Dockers came from the dead to win a thriller by a point !!! Clive Waterhouse the hero with 7 !!! Though I will admit & the comment I said before DT was tongue in cheek , The Showdowns have always been good games... though I still say the Western Derbies are better...& at the games itself the crowd is getting more volatile with clashes amongst supportters....I love it !!!

The Freo Dockers supportters are building a reputation in Perth......

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2002, 12:03
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Couts The western Derby is that when Dale Kickett got 9 weeks I couldnt stop laughing,C'mon We need to see more of that in Footy.Gees Port vs The Crows I dunno on Form the Crows look good and I believe they can do it Mcleod's silky skilly will be great to watch and as for Ladhams well what finds I heard he was on the Bombers list is That True DT? If so what sweet revenge,I hope the Ramsgate Hotel is'nt expecting some visitors after the game And someone please tell the Cornes' boys to not use any sign language.

........ Planet Milan ........

"Il Milan con il cuore e insieme andiamo avanti"
"Siamo Il Milan non deve dire altro"

The poster formerly known as Schumy
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2002, 13:14 Thread Starter
International

Ok guys:

KI - It's Port's home game so I don't get automatic entry on my membership, so I'll be watching from home

Jameson is part of the FOXTEL footy team and on radio with 5AA in Adelaide - he went straight into full retirement after the Crows.

Liptak was a fully qualified and practising Medical Doctor when he was on the Crows list, so when his hamstrings kept giving out and he decided to bite the bullet and retire from footy altogether (he didn't go back to the SANFL) he just slid straight into being a fulltime doctor.

Couts - Yeah yeah yeah mate, according to you everything about West Aussie footy is better ... the colours, the songs, the fans, now the Western Derby, blah blah blah. I'll humour you by saying, yeah those 200 goal blowouts until Freo finally won one made it great entertainment from my perspective compared to the tight nailbiters we have over here

Meazza - Yeah Ladhams was on Essendon's list for a couple of years before coming back to SA - I think Essendon's biggest drop of the ball was the Power's Adam Kingsley. He played something like 89 reserves games for the Bombers without being called up by Sheedy. Shrewd piece of business by Jack Cahill that

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2002, 13:30
Star Player

Your a tough Man DT

But us boys from Freo learn ( slowly ) and always aim to get better
But onething where you are wrong is There is no way I rate WA footy at this point in time as good as any other state.
The only way that will happen is if the WAFC relinquishes Freo's liscence to another party/s- You will see both teams then improve

ONE thing I ask you DT I know the SANFL holds th Crows liscence , who holds Port Adelaides ???

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2002, 13:39
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
which state produces the most talent?

and would any1 like to see state of origin again?

truth be told sometimes I miss it, all that amazing talent arrayed, there have been some rip snorters over the years and sure it got tired an'all but I actually do miss it a lot come to think of it
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2002, 13:47
Star Player

Going through the AFL lists people will be amazed at the talent that goes through the Freo region !!

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2002, 13:48 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally posted by COUTO 5
Your a tough Man DT

ONE thing I ask you DT I know the SANFL holds th Crows liscence , who holds Port Adelaides ???

I think it's a weird percentages thing when it comes to Port's license. I don't know the actual numbers but I think there's 50% SANFL ownership/control and 50% Port Adelaide Football Club ownership/control as a condition that the SANFL was given the license for the second team by the AFL and Port Adelaide won the bid with the blessing of the AFL.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2002, 13:50
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerTUFF

truth be told sometimes I miss it, all that amazing talent arrayed, there have been some rip snorters over the years and sure it got tired an'all but I actually do miss it a lot come to think of it
There is still a place for state of Origin but only after the AFL reintroduces Zones back to the clubs.
I beleive that AFL clubs should be able to choose the 3 most talented playes in there zones and whats left over goes back to the draft !!

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2002, 13:54 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerTUFF

I loved Origin Footy ... 1993 at the MCG was magic with Jarman having that mindblowing peformance in the wet when we got up over the Vics and then there was that corker at Footy Park in 1997 when Archer took that hanger in the goalsquare to kill us off in time-on - and this is before looking back into the 80s to those 1, 2, 3 point classics.

1992 was special because Wayne Carey played for us before the AFL changed the rules.

At the moment a fair dinkum Allies team would arguably take the points - the midfield of McLeod, Voss, Buckley and Akermanis supported by Crawf and Kelly with a bloke like James Hird around the mark would be brilliant to watch.

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2002, 10:40
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Right on Dt I wonder what Teddy Whitten would be thinking about the state of Origin Footy these days,We really could have some real rippers Ill never forget when Dunstall and Lockett played together in a Vic shirt even though JD is'nt a Vic as we all know.
But what about Sticks and Braddles in the SA shirt and the rest sorry cat's got my toungue right now.

........ Planet Milan ........

"Il Milan con il cuore e insieme andiamo avanti"
"Siamo Il Milan non deve dire altro"

The poster formerly known as Schumy
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2002, 13:08
Star Player

As I said there is a place for State of origin

But we need more local players in the local teams before people get behind it !!!!

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2002, 09:17 Thread Starter
International

Well well well, the players on both sides didn't disappoint did they!!!

Bickley's gonna go for at least 4 weeks for breaking Wakelin's cheekbone and it'll be interesting to how the umpires judge all the blood rules and black-eyes that occurred.

Just a shame we couldn't take the 4 points but a brave performance considering no Goody or Roo-dog ...

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2002, 09:23
Star Player

Not really a great game to watch ...but a real war of attrition, the game was such that it didnt matter that Goodwin or Ricciuto didnt play. Bad luck DT...this game will hold both clubs in good stead come finals time

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2002, 09:33 Thread Starter
International

It just ensures that Port will host us in the first week of the finals unless Brisbane slip up - it makes Round 22 at AAMI a blockbuster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in