Where will Dennis Pagan end up next year? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2002, 17:32 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Where will Dennis Pagan end up next year?

Given that the Kangaroos have offered their dual Premiership coach a far less offer do you think that DP will look elsewhere for 2003 or remain with the Roos.

........ Planet Milan ........

"Il Milan con il cuore e insieme andiamo avanti"
"Siamo Il Milan non deve dire altro"

The poster formerly known as Schumy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2002, 05:50
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
The Kangas can't afford to keep a pet poodle let alone one of the country's highest rated coaches ...

Pagan will be off to greener pastures at the end of the season - and it's no surprise where he'll find himself - as if big Jack from Brunswick won't drop the axe on the only man in the club's history to guide the blue-baggers to a wooden spoon when Pagan is available!

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.

Last edited by dyertribe; July 30th, 2002 at 05:53.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2002, 13:41 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Gees I hope so Dude,I heard today that DP was close to re-signing with the roos.:depress:

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2002, 16:03
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
They should close the Kanga's Doors or just merge them with Sydney

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2002, 14:26
Star Player

Mr pagan, is too old to coach, i reckon, his tactics & strategies are old and out of date, the roos need a new coach, with new ideas and enthusiasm. like Terry Wallace or someone like him
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2002, 11:17
International

Quote:
Originally posted by Alarich
Mr pagan, is too old to coach, i reckon, his tactics & strategies are old and out of date, the roos need a new coach, with new ideas and enthusiasm. like Terry Wallace or someone like him
Terry Wallace? Mister flood himself? Mister I'll blow a 20-something point lead in a preliminary final with 10 minutes to go?

Denis Pagan had Premierships and has acheived without the massive budgets Sheedy, Matthews & Blight had the luxury of having.

Pagan gave us Pagan's Paddock - a strategy that has made the full-forward obsolete - that is a tactician.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2002, 11:42
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by dyertribe

Terry Wallace? Mister flood himself? Mister I'll blow a 20-something point lead in a preliminary final with 10 minutes to go?

Denis Pagan had Premierships and has acheived without the massive budgets Sheedy, Matthews & Blight had the luxury of having.

Pagan gave us Pagan's Paddock - a strategy that has made the full-forward obsolete - that is a tactician.
Pagan is a much a coach as Sheedy. I rate him in the top 3

just watch Connelly's star

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2002, 15:16 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

What Denis Pagan has done for the Roos can simply not be questioned,His unbelievable ability to work in the tight surroundings after the Carey debacle,Not to mention the emotional loss of Mick martyn's father and also having the Kangas financial troubles always causing a dark cloud.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2002, 12:37
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
Pagan- look at the mediocre list hes got and tell me Nths not the most over-achieving club in the afl this season? Hes brilliant, gets his players up for any game anywhere anytime, true pro.

if i had a pick for any coach in the league it would be between pagan and wallace
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2002, 13:21
Star Player

Wallace is a great coach !!! I'd love to see what he would do at Port or Brissy !!!!!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2002, 14:47
International

Agree on Pagan - he's a mastermind, even though he's inadvertantly responsible for Eddie McGuire.

Sorry lads but I have major question marks over Wallace, purely as a result of his below-par coaching performances when it truly counted in the Bullies best ever years in 1997 & 1998.

In both Preliminary Finals he made some terrible decisions that cost his squad a shot at the back2back flags we got - apart from the decision not to flood back (why did he leave arguably the competition's best CHB alone up forward??) when 20-something points up on Adelaide in the 1997 Prelim he also gifted us the 1998 Grand Final berth on a plate.

Before the game we looked at the matchups from the Olympic Stand (what a sh1thole, am I right TT?!) and saw that Plough had lined Rohan Smith up on Matthew Robran at CHB/CHF. 10 minutes later we were 5 goals up and that was that.

The Bullies haven't scaled those heights since so I am reticent to rate Wallace as highly as you blokes do. Just my opinion.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2002, 15:03
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
right u are abt the olympic stand, soon to be gone............

dt, who was arguably the competitions best CHB? I cant remember that far

abt 1998, all I can say is I could see from amile off that it was adelaides day, I know this sounds silly but I had a gut feel that u would smash em, and that u did, prelims are won on faith and belief, the bullies were full of self-doubt and when asked the question they tightened up. Plus Jars single-handedly won the prelim and grandfinal , well as close to anyway.

Abt that robran smith match-up, sure that backfired, but he used it b/c he had used that style match-up before re leon Cameron on carey, and his run was the catalyst to a gr8 bullies performance that day, but yeah, theres no way Id go with a risky match-up like that.

I dont know dt, I surely understand where u come from (i firmly believe the bullies were the best side in 1997) and quite simply the buck has to stop with the coach when the team dont achieve what it should have arguably, but the way he gets his doggies to split open opposing teams with their pristine footskills and zig zaging positioning, literally u have to see it live to appreciate it, no other coach is as inventive IMO, hes always making opposing coaches react, thats the way I see it anyway.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2002, 15:25
International

Chris Grant played his best footy at CHB and wouldve had the Brownlow in 97 and he was stuck up forward with James Cook (remember him!!! sh1t! the crap that got on a list back then!) when DJ ran riot and stayed up there for the duration of the final quarter.

TT, agree about the gamble on the Robran/Smith matchup, but surely you would play it safe and go with Croft, Grant or even Ellis at least until the game cooled down and re-evaluate at quarter-time.

Re: The zigzag run and kicking game - totally agree. At its best its an ubertactic - I remember watching the Bullies come to our house 3 straight times and rip us apart, but when its foiled or the players are just 1% off it falls apart.

There's always the question of what he could achieve with a squad like Brisbane's or Port's, but there wasn't much better going around in years 97-99 (as you said), and he ultimately ended up with nothing.

Still, I agree he's revolutionary, but yeah ... if you can't do better than 2 Prelims since 1996 with blokes like Wynd, Grant, Libber, Johnson, Darcy, Brown, Cameron, West, Romero, etc in your squad then you start to wonder.

Last edited by dyertribe; August 5th, 2002 at 15:28.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2002, 05:50 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

it's unbelievable what has happened at the Ross this season,Pagan is the ultimate professional.Baird,Morrell,Cochran,Petrie and Teague to name a few its just unbelieveable.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2002, 12:20
Star Player

There is no denying Denis Pagan . The man keeps pulling the rabbits out of the hat . It remains to be seen though if the Roos are playing on emotion & that will only take you so far !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in