You're joking right? Telstra has also nabbed Stadium Australia? Far out!
I say if the AFL allow this happen , why dont they pump all this money buck into the suburban grounds & bring them up to scratch !!!. I would love to see a Western Bulldogs & Dockers match @ Fremantle Oval !!! I dont see whats wrong in each club playing 3 home games per season in the suburbs especailly when only 10,000 turn up !!!!!!
I have thought this for ages. I would love to see these old grounds done up again. I don't like the fact that Melbourne, Kangaroos, Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon, St. Kilda and Western Bulldgos all share either the MCG and Colonial Sta...Telstra Dome I mean.
I think each club should have their own ground, or at least have only 1 or 2 clubs sharing the same ground. I would love to bring back the suburban grounds and for all clubs to have a home ground advantage. These days, there is no home ground advantage.
I think the AFL should invest money into doing up the local grounds and making them proper venues. The only problem with local grounds is that there is not enough room in the surrounding area to expand the stadium and put in a proper car park because it is in the middle of the 'burbs.
Selling Waverley Park was a huge mistake in my oppinion. There is a huge fan base in that area and now most of them can't go to the footy anymore. Also, it has taken away two clubs home ground and they are forced to share now.
I reckon that either the AFL gives money to do up some local grounds like Arden St or Whitten Oval or Moorabin, or they build a couple of new small grounds that can be used for clubs with smaller fan bases.
I think that another staidum should be built in the same area that Waverley Park was, so that St. Kilda and Hawthorn could both share it.
Here is a list of the Victorian clubs and what i think their home ground should be...
- Optus Oval- The Blues should reamin there and not move to Colonial Stadium like they seem to want to do. If they could maybe revamp a few of the old and crappy stands and maybe make it into a nice 30,000 seater, than it would be a great home for the Blues.
- Olympic Stadium- They are moving there in a couple of years and I think this is a good move.
- Colonial Stadium- [i]Windy Hill would have been nice but it is a tad too small given Essendon's fan base so i think they should remain at Colonial Stadium.
- Skilled Stadium- No other place to go.
- New Stadium
- Optus Oval- [i]If Optus is re-done it could be shared between Carlton and the Kangaroos and it would be ideal considering Optus Oval is very close to North Melbourne. Seeing as North's fan base is small, Optus would be ideal because they wouldn't need a huge crowd to break even.
- MCG- For obvious reasons.
- MCG- [i]Should remain there, seeing they have bee there since 1965 and Punt Road is too small and is only 200 metres away from the G. Big fan base means it's able to fill the ground quite easily.
- New stadium
- Colonial Stadium- Should remain there, because they really don't have anywhere else that is suitable.
This now means that only Melbourne and Richmond share the MCG, and Western Bulldogs and Essendon share Colonial Stadium. Geographically it makes more sense because Richmond and Melbourne (the suburbs
) are next to each other and Footscray and Essendon are also close. Same applies for Kangaroos and Carlton, who in my oppinion should share the revamped and renamed
Optus Oval. Hawhtorn and St. Kilda can also go back to their grass roots with a nice new staidum built for them in their area.
A lot of this probably didn't make sense, but it did in my head.