Stadium Names- Are they going too far? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2002, 05:40 Thread Starter
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
Stadium Names- Are they going too far?

Bloody oath they are!

The stadiums across Australia, especially Victoria, are changing their names more frequently than Richmond changes it coaches.

It started a few years ago when the Blues home Princes Park, became Optus Oval.

Then a few years later, the hollowed turf that Gary Ablett used to perform his magic on, changed from Kardinia Park to Shell Stadium. It was only last season that Shell Stadium once again changed it's name, this time to Baytec Stadium. And now this year it has changed again, this time to Skilled Stadium.

Just recently, Adelaide and Port Adelaide's home ground changed from Football Park to AAMI Stadium.

The newly built stadium at the Docklands was given the name Colonial Stadium ever since it's birth in the year 2000. However, just three years on and they want to change it to Telstra Dome. What a **** of a name! Telstra Dome! How are the likes of Essendon going to promote their matches at Telstra Dome when their main sponsor is Orange, one of Telstra's main rivals. And how are we going to say "I'm going to Colonial tomorrow to watch the Doggies play." No, from next year on we are going to have to say "I am going to the Dome to watch the Doggies play." That just doesn't have a nice ring to it.

Hopefully, this name changing won't continue. I wouldn;t be suprised if Olympic Park changes it's name once Collingwood arrives, and I still dunno how no-one has grabbed the rights for Stadium Australia.

I just hope that the MCG remains the MCG, and not the CCCCCG (Colonial Coca Cola Cadbury Cricket Ground).

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2002, 07:52
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Just on your Colonial Stadium reference - don't forget that is a sponsors name as well ... if Colonial Finance didn't want to renew their naming rights then the stadium's operators had two options - to find another big monetary prize in the form of a new naming rights sponsor or to simply call the stadium Docklands again.

The Geelong thing is a fcuken fiasco ...

And Shev, this is really gonna p1ss you off - someone has grabbed the naming rights to Stadium Australia - TELSTRA.

It's my understanding that as of now Stadium Australia is officially known as Telstra Stadium.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.

Last edited by dyertribe; July 29th, 2002 at 07:55.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2002, 09:06
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
BLOODY OATH!

it is the telstra stadium up in sydney.

Its all in bad taste, I never liked the name colonial stadium, I refuse to call them by their sponsors names, Id just call docklands stadium the dome, and thats in fact what essendon are going to call it, due to their orange sponsorship.

But over all I liked the name docklands stadium it has a nice ring to it.......

"AND WELCOME TO THE DOCKLANDS STADIUM IN MELBOURNE FOR THE WORLD CUP QUALIFIER......." sounds good

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2002, 12:57
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
I say if the AFL allow this happen , why dont they pump all this money buck into the suburban grounds & bring them up to scratch !!!. I would love to see a Western Bulldogs & Dockers match @ Fremantle Oval !!! I dont see whats wrong in each club playing 3 home games per season in the suburbs especailly when only 10,000 turn up !!!!!!

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2002, 12:59 Thread Starter
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
You're joking right? Telstra has also nabbed Stadium Australia? Far out!

Quote:
COUTO5

I say if the AFL allow this happen , why dont they pump all this money buck into the suburban grounds & bring them up to scratch !!!. I would love to see a Western Bulldogs & Dockers match @ Fremantle Oval !!! I dont see whats wrong in each club playing 3 home games per season in the suburbs especailly when only 10,000 turn up !!!!!!
I have thought this for ages. I would love to see these old grounds done up again. I don't like the fact that Melbourne, Kangaroos, Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon, St. Kilda and Western Bulldgos all share either the MCG and Colonial Sta...Telstra Dome I mean.

I think each club should have their own ground, or at least have only 1 or 2 clubs sharing the same ground. I would love to bring back the suburban grounds and for all clubs to have a home ground advantage. These days, there is no home ground advantage.

I think the AFL should invest money into doing up the local grounds and making them proper venues. The only problem with local grounds is that there is not enough room in the surrounding area to expand the stadium and put in a proper car park because it is in the middle of the 'burbs.

Selling Waverley Park was a huge mistake in my oppinion. There is a huge fan base in that area and now most of them can't go to the footy anymore. Also, it has taken away two clubs home ground and they are forced to share now.

I reckon that either the AFL gives money to do up some local grounds like Arden St or Whitten Oval or Moorabin, or they build a couple of new small grounds that can be used for clubs with smaller fan bases.

I think that another staidum should be built in the same area that Waverley Park was, so that St. Kilda and Hawthorn could both share it.

Here is a list of the Victorian clubs and what i think their home ground should be...

Carlton- Optus Oval- The Blues should reamin there and not move to Colonial Stadium like they seem to want to do. If they could maybe revamp a few of the old and crappy stands and maybe make it into a nice 30,000 seater, than it would be a great home for the Blues.

Collingwood- Olympic Stadium- They are moving there in a couple of years and I think this is a good move.

Essendon- Colonial Stadium- [i]Windy Hill would have been nice but it is a tad too small given Essendon's fan base so i think they should remain at Colonial Stadium.

Geelong- Skilled Stadium- No other place to go.

Hawthorn- New Stadium

Kangaroos- Optus Oval- [i]If Optus is re-done it could be shared between Carlton and the Kangaroos and it would be ideal considering Optus Oval is very close to North Melbourne. Seeing as North's fan base is small, Optus would be ideal because they wouldn't need a huge crowd to break even.

Melbourne- MCG- For obvious reasons.

Richmond- MCG- [i]Should remain there, seeing they have bee there since 1965 and Punt Road is too small and is only 200 metres away from the G. Big fan base means it's able to fill the ground quite easily.

St. Kilda- New stadium

Western Bulldogs- Colonial Stadium- Should remain there, because they really don't have anywhere else that is suitable.

This now means that only Melbourne and Richmond share the MCG, and Western Bulldogs and Essendon share Colonial Stadium. Geographically it makes more sense because Richmond and Melbourne (the suburbs) are next to each other and Footscray and Essendon are also close. Same applies for Kangaroos and Carlton, who in my oppinion should share the revamped and renamed Optus Oval. Hawhtorn and St. Kilda can also go back to their grass roots with a nice new staidum built for them in their area.

A lot of this probably didn't make sense, but it did in my head.

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2002, 04:15
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
Yes it's quite an odd situation at the moment. Would you believe that here in Western Australia they were thinking of renaming Suibaco Oval to Bankwest Stadium. Shocking if you ask me with all that history of Subiaco Oval and just to change it like that. Channel 7 news even had a phone in poll and the majority of Perth want it to remain as it is and rightly so.

Anthony what do you think?

And it's ****ed how Stadium Australia is being renamed.

Was King Italy..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2002, 10:24
Star Player

stadium names no longer have any meaning, thanks to big companies paying big bucks to name a stadium after their company. it all about the money now a days, and personally i think the money factor has ruin the sport, and its only a matter of time before rich teams have all the good players and poor teams with all the crap players, and than sooner or later we'll see the same in the teams winning the championship or the cup every year, year after year, and than before u know it, a player's body will be completely cover with advertising

i know, i know, it seems a bit too far fetch, as though it was from a movie, and guess what, it is from a movie. has anyone seen "BASEketball" ?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2002, 11:32
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Baseket ball was utter sh!t !!!!!!!!!

advertising will never get to that stage. The world market says so.......

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2002, 11:56
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Baseketball is fcuken hilarious Very very under-rated ...

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2002, 12:44
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
What dyertribe said

Was King Italy..
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2002, 12:10
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by COUTO 5
Baseket ball was utter sh!t !!!!!!!!!

advertising will never get to that stage. The world market says so.......
i don't know bout that Couto
did u watch the news, some guy was paid by vodafone to streak naked and his paint his body with advertising and run across the field during the Wallabies Vs. All Blacks rugby match

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in