Gary Ayres - Champ of the Week! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2002, 10:12 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Gary Ayres - Champ of the Week!

The handbags from Corio copped exactly what they deserved from my boys today ...

And how good was Gary Ayres' reaction when the Geelong fans started giving it to him after the match

A few fingers shown here and there and a massive "look at the scoreboard" with matching finger-point as he entered the race.

As big Rexy would sing ... "It's ooooooooooooooooooooo-ver!"

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2002, 12:49
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd

Ayres' two fingered salute was all class, those ferals down there deserve nothing less

gr8 end to a pulsating contest, thoroughly enjoyed it...... will ayres coach your mob next season and beyond DT? If I was him Id be telling crow management to start counting their bank balance.............

How good will kelly be? I think hes the most talented youngster in the land. He oozes class.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2002, 15:47 Thread Starter
International

I think this is the last year of Gary's contract and the outcome of this season will be the barometer for whether or not he earns a contract extension or not ...

The fact that he has the utmost respect and love from his playing squad was there for the boardroom to see in the post-match celebrations so there is no question of mutiny being an issue like it was for Cornes, Shaw and Blight so the decision should come purely down to onfield results ...

I think he is doing an enormous job with the playing staff available to him and he's actually recruiting quality - which hasn't been experienced at West Lakes since the mammoth recruiting coups pulled by Robert Shaw ...

I can only imagine just how far we could go if we had a couple of decent key-forwards and tall-defenders to complete the jigsaw puzzle - I think we'll be found out come September when sides like Brisbane, Port and Essendon loom large ...

Just on that youngster Kelly ... damn he's impressive isn't he?? This year has been an absolute stormer for quality first-year kids - seeing guys like him and Graham Johncock having just as much impact as guys like Riccardi and Ricciuto this season has been a joy to watch.

And TT, badluck your boys couldn't send Knighter off with the win his career has deserved ... :depress:

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2002, 05:26
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
Must be common these days for coaches to have a strained relationship with their ex-fans.

Micky Malthouse wasn't too impressed with the Eagles fans treatment of Nathan Buckley on the weekend, and now Gary Ayres has got stuck into the people down at the Cattery.

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2002, 13:06
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Quote:
Originally posted by The Shev
Micky Malthouse wasn't too impressed with the Eagles fans treatment of Nathan Buckley on the weekend, and now Gary Ayres has got stuck into the people down at the Cattery.
They mustve learnt something from the Freo fans the week before.
I will tell you guys something . Freo supporters only care about #1 , ourselves & when we play the opposition we have no respect for no one !!!!! When James Hird Busted his face , Damian Peverill got a standing Ovation & Hird got pointed to the door !!!!! When Wankovich got reported I am sure the crowd pressure was on him- He copped the verbal before he got into the ground. Now if the crowd can give the sh!t so can the person/s who it is directed at - It should be encouraged ( & something we are waiting for @ Freo !!!!!!!!!

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2002, 13:14
Star Player
Star Player

DT talk of the town for most of the season has been that ayres wanted to enter into contract negotiations from pre-season and well into this season but crows management have steadfastly refused, stating they will review at seasons end.........hence most ppl think if ayres has anything short of a top 4 finish he will get the ass, well this guy has made it his lifes work to stand up and be counted and now its time for crows management to start crunching their numbers coz hes the man in demand.

Robert Shaw, Ive always respected him greatly as coach, master tactician.......Bode, how long has he been a crows player? I like the look of him and b4 this season I hadnt heard of him, very hard at it.

At least the tiges had a dig, unfortunately class prevailed and in the first 10 mins of the last quarter we ran and ran without getting our hands on the pill, still I think Coghlan, Fiora and Rodan give us real hope for the future.

This is the best 1st year crop out of one draft since the draft that gave us Leppitsch, Lappin, Johnson, White, and abt 6 others who I cant remember all from the same under 18's side, Northern knights, needless to say they won the GF by abt 100 points. Of course its how well they back up in seasons 2 and 3 that really moulds them, but signs are promising.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2002, 13:26
Star Player

I bet he gets 2 years

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2002, 17:37
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
I think Ayresy was just gesturing that he wanted 2 beers.

........ Planet Milan ........

"Il Milan con il cuore e insieme andiamo avanti"
"Siamo Il Milan non deve dire altro"

The poster formerly known as Schumy
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2002, 08:24 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally posted by COUTO 5
I bet he gets 2 years
As punishment from the AFL?

I think the Adelaide heirachy are a bit tentative ... at best they may hand him a one year extension which Ayresy would be right to balk at.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2002, 08:37 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerTUFF
Robert Shaw, Ive always respected him greatly as coach, master tactician.......Bode, how long has he been a crows player? I like the look of him and b4 this season I hadnt heard of him, very hard at it.
Shaw would've had a Premiership in 1996 when we got off to that 6-2 start and then that disgusting injury-plague hit us and we won 2 more for the rest of the year.

One thing that has always stuck in my craw was how Blight was hailed as the messiah and genius for the Premierships in 97/98. The facts were he inherited a squad that Cornes and Shaw built alone - not one key player in both Premierships was recruited or nurtured by Blight.

Cornes: Rehn, Hart, Smart, Jameson, Modra, Robran, Pittman, Ricciuto, etc.

Shaw: T. Bond, Ellen, Koster, D. Jarman, Goodwin, Connell, Edwards, McLeod, Caven, etc.

The only decent player Blight recruited was Brett Burton, but that was largely under the influence of Crows ruck/assistant coach Mark Mickan who for some reason recommended half of his sh1tty Woodville/West Torrens Eagles squad to the Crows after a one-year stint as head-coach there in the SANFL.

Blight was at the helm when Mickan recommended Ken McGregor over Matthew Pavlich (both WWT Eagles) for the rookie list in 1999 - and now we're gonna have to pay a million to get him back, if at all.

Re: Bode ... we recruited him from the Power at the start of last season but he badly injured his hand and then had some other problems that limited him to only 1 game. He was a semi-regular rover/small-forward with the Power for a couple of years before that but never hit the headlines. He also played a bit of county cricket as a lad in England before throwing the willow away to concentrate on the sherrin.

Last edited by dyertribe; July 30th, 2002 at 08:45.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2002, 13:46
Xtratime Legend

But will have Cornes or Shaw or brought the Crows a premiership?

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2002, 11:13 Thread Starter
International

MM ...

Cornes and Adelaide should've had the 1993 flag easily when we were 48 points up on Essendon with a minute to go before halftime in the Preliminary Final. But the 18-2 free-kick count in favour of Essendon in the second-half helped make sure Essendon scraped through by 11 points - and we all know what happened the week after. Essendon steam-rolled an old and tired Carlton (who ironically had the fortnight's rest) to win easily.

... and like I said, Shaw's Crows of 1996 were absolutely primed to have a genuine shot at the flag with a 6 and 2 start before a mammoth injury-list caused the team to implode. Wins in those first six included a 90 point drubbing of Grand Finallist Sydney and massive wins over Essendon and Geelong.

Blighty fed off the scraps like he did at Geelong.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2002, 11:51
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by dyertribe
MM ...

Cornes and Adelaide should've had the 1993 flag easily when we were 48 points up on Essendon with a minute to go before halftime in the Preliminary Final. But the 18-2 free-kick count in favour of Essendon in the second-half helped make sure Essendon scraped through by 11 points - and we all know what happened the week after. Essendon steam-rolled an old and tired Carlton (who ironically had the fortnight's rest) to win easily.

... and like I said, Shaw's Crows of 1996 were absolutely primed to have a genuine shot at the flag with a 6 and 2 start before a mammoth injury-list caused the team to implode. Wins in those first six included a 90 point drubbing of Grand Finallist Sydney and massive wins over Essendon and Geelong.

Blighty fed off the scraps like he did at Geelong.
Your a bitter & twisted DT arent you !!!

Freo Dockers deserved to win the flag in 2001 on the strength of a round 22 win over Adelaide by the sound of it

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2002, 15:12
Xtratime Legend

And How I was cursing that the Bombers came back that day,Anyhow is'nt it ironic while we are talking about that game they will meet this week at AAMI Stadium,Go Crows.
dyertribe what do you think of Gary Ayres? And do you think he'll be coaching the crows next year?

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2002, 07:10 Thread Starter
International

MM, I think Ayresy is an absolute champ - imagine if he had a quality key forward and some tall defenders to add to his options!! The mind boggles at the thought, especially when you look at the three teams above us - Port have Tredrea & Wakelin, Collingwood have Tarrant & Wakelin and Brizzy have well ... everyfcukenone Meanwhile we're scrapping with Mark Stevens and Nigel Smart in our key CHF and CHB posts ...

I also love how Ayresy is treating the Adelaide Crows as a footy club, singing the song with the boys, genuinely feeling for the fans when we lose - I mean for fcuk's sake - the bloke even came to the members 'shed' with his family after we got smashed by Port last season and started 0-5 and had a beer!

I hope we keep him ... I'd love to see the big fella hold the cup up with Roo-Dog at the G ... simply for the good people of Geelong

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2002, 10:27
Xtratime Legend

Yeah Go Ayresy Go Crows it's amazing what he's doing at the Crows so true the goals are being shared by players such as Welsh,Mcleod,Ricciuto and burton for eg so it seems the team spirit is amazingly high also,I think ayres is a sensational peoples person like Thompson I hope the Bombers get smacked this week.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2002, 12:32
Star Player
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by MR MEAZZA
I hope the Bombers get smacked this week.
Oh they will, they will the crows are on fire, I checked out the draw and I believe they can win all their remaining games to finish top 3........

DT, see richos 3rd quarter?, that was poetry in motion, pity the media are feeding on it and saying that makes him worth 700 gees 7 contested marks for the game 11 marks overall. Hes regained fitness now, and next week when young gun Pavlich lines up on him will give us a good indication. I reckon if we get as much ball as freo Pavlich is in for a nightmare.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2002, 14:39 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerTUFF
DT, see richos 3rd quarter?, that was poetry in motion, pity the media are feeding on it and saying that makes him worth 700 gees 7 contested marks for the game 11 marks overall. Hes regained fitness now, and next week when young gun Pavlich lines up on him will give us a good indication. I reckon if we get as much ball as freo Pavlich is in for a nightmare.
Although Melbourne at the G is hardly an acid test Richo had a stormer - the question will be whether he can reproduce it often enough to justify his label as a gun forward that he has carried for a long time.

I think Pavlich is over-rated, but definitely a prospect - and he will give Richo a huge run for his money if we are lucky enough to get the matchup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in