Bucks, Sweat & Tears ... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2002, 15:41 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Bucks, Sweat & Tears ...

Storm in a teacup?
Dispicable behaviour from a role-model who should know better?

What does everyone think about the Buckley blood-smear incident? I thought it was pretty soft until Lethal came out and said it was akin to spitting - and then I thought, sh1t yeah - if Bucks had spat on Gingerling we'd all be saying he's a dog.

Thoughts?

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old July 16th, 2002, 10:00
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
yeah it was disgusting but i dont see it in the same light as spitting, that for me is the absolute insult, it really shows what u think of the other person, wiping blood is more of a nuisance if that makes any sense
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old July 16th, 2002, 10:25
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by tigerTUFF

yeah it was disgusting but i dont see it in the same light as spitting, that for me is the absolute insult, it really shows what u think of the other person, wiping blood is more of a nuisance if that makes any sense
That's true. Spitting is more of an insult, but I still think that Buckley should be suspended because smearing blood on a person is just unacceptable. If that was off the footy field he could have been charged.

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old July 16th, 2002, 10:54
Premier Player

Too right Shev, what Buckley did was unacceptable. But the problem here is if he cops a fine, it will seem to lenient.... if he gets suspended, it will seem to harsh

I gots the best solution.... give him both
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old July 16th, 2002, 15:17
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Shall we ask is it because its a high profile player such as Buckley that this has blown up this much?.Well personally I believed a huge fine would've been just as bad as a deterrent to other players in future,And a spur of the moment act of stupidity just explains what can go wrong and No Im not a Buckley or Collingwood fan Im a Blue Boy and thats my opinion.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2002, 10:48
Premier Player

The fact that he is a high profile player makes what he did even worse, and even more stupid.

Heard a rumour this morning that it was Buckley that actually whacked 'Gingerling' (good one dyer ) first. So what we have here is.....
- Buckley gets reported for smearing blood on an opponent.
- Buckley sulks in the media that he did it in retaliation because Ling hit him behind play.
- Ling gets booked on video for striking Buckley.
- Buckley and Ling both get suspended.

So why doesnt Ling come out and say that Bucks hit him first, which is why he Bucks back?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2002, 02:25
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
I could have sworn that if this was a non Victorian player than they would have got like 5 weeks not a poultry 1. The fact is they didn't even wanna suspend Buckley so they could keep him in the hunt for the Brownlow but to let someone go for something like this is something the tribunal couldn't do.

What he did was a very dangerous thing, and it doesn't set a good example to the young ones growing up watching one of their favourite players putting another player's health at risk.

Was King Italy..
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2002, 04:36
Premier Player

Id say it was more stupid than dangerous KI.

He only did it so that Ling would have to come off the ground with him how f*cked is that???
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2002, 16:04
Star Player

what's the big deal
he only wiped a little blood on this guy's shirt, its not like he wiped it actually on his skin or anything
plus this guy got off lightly, Buckley could have punched him in the face, but he didn't. lets put it this way, this guy was the one who caused Buckley to bleed in the first place, and Buckley had every right to wipe the blood back on him. I would have done exactly the same thing.

and what's this crap about HIV or AIDS, these players know that they don't have that crap, otherwise they won't be playing AFL, so what's the big deal

and oh yeah btw pesa, just reminding u that u have post your own predictions for the F1PL this week, cause i ain't gunno do it for ya
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2002, 02:37
Premier Player

Alarich, at a VFL game on Sunday a group of kids were having a kick on the oval during the half time break. A little kid about 7 was wearing a Collingwood jumper with number 5 on it. He was chasing after the ball, when another kid about 12 yelled out... "watch him, he might wipe some blood on ya". This was not even a day after the incident happened. Is that the kind of image we want for the kids? The AFL did the right thing by suspending Bucks... not that it was dangerous, but just plain stupid.

And i wouldnt say HIV/AIDS is crap dude... how can you say that the players arent infected with it? They have a blood test once, given the green light, and thats it. What if someone contracts this virus during the course of the season 4 months before the next blood tests? Highly unlikely but still you never know....
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2002, 07:57 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
KI, you've got a point ...

I don't want to sound like a little b1tch here but Andrew McLeod's 1 week suspension for "charging" Lloyd was a little harsh considering his prior clean record and credentials - since his rubbing out I have seen at least 3 or 4 cases that have been the same or worse with no charge to answer being the result.

Jason Akermanis' recent suspension for his second kneeing offence is just as bad - it was absolutely pathetic - the dude he 'kneed' went down quicker than Eddie McGuire's wife when she saw his bank-balance for the first time.

It seems that players and teams outside the Jolimont axis still cop it worse than those within it.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2002, 08:24
Star Player
Star Player

pigs arse boys, vic fans say the same,

how many weeks should bucks have gotten? i dont even think he deserved 1, he should have copped a big fine, public apology and regualr appearances to schools, footy show etc etc until the end of the year as penance
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2002, 09:20
Star Player

i've gotto agree with TigerTUFF
especially since Buckley is a role-model
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2002, 15:00
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Buckley IMO deserved 6 weeks + .
All I will say if that had been a player of a lesser profile , he wouldve been run out of league football !!!

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2002, 17:23
Star Player

that's what they all say
but where's the proof
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2002, 13:53
Star Player

Chris Lewis 4 weeks for biting And smearing blood is more serious !!!!!!!!
Chris Lewis & Greg Williams 4 weeks for Spitting nd blood smearing is more serious !!!

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2002, 15:48
Star Player
Star Player

i disagree champ

biting is more serious than smearing blood and definitely more of a health hazard.

Like i mentioned spitting for me is one of the most despicable things u can do to a competitor on a sporting field

and u have to take into consideration both lewis and williams were hardly 's they both had priors longer than the australian cricket teams tail.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2002, 16:15
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerTUFF

and u have to take into consideration both lewis and williams were hardly 's they both had priors longer than the australian cricket teams tail.
Actually i don't feel at all comfortable with that comparison Tiger since it tends to discredit the batting exploits of Lee, Warne etc....

If you had have said the Windies tail then i could accept it

Actually both biting and smearing blood are potential health hazards and in equal proportions i would say for the simple reason that in a contact sport like AFL, most players would have open cuts (which may not necessarily bleed) that blood and saliva can get into which could lead to HIV and/or Hepatitis etc...
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2002, 16:19
Star Player
Star Player

agreed except he smeared it onto the jumper (to get him sent off, mischievous behaviour), and not skin whereas biting......

and ure right it was a wrong analogy I s'pose, i was thinking a few years back for some strange reason, when lee was pretty pathetic and warne was going through his horror patch
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2002, 16:34
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Andreas

Actually i don't feel at all comfortable with that comparison Tiger since it tends to discredit the batting exploits of Lee, Warne etc....

The Bangladesh Squad has got the longest tail after Habible Bashar ( Real name ) & # 3 its very thin afterwards even Danny Morrison would get a gig at #4 with Bruce Reid behind him

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in