Richo Axed ... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old July 8th, 2002, 16:49 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Richo Axed ...

And about time ...

Did anyone else see that moment when he blasted a team-mate for not hitting him on the chest before the ball even got to him??? He just stopped and swore and let the ball bounce past him!!!

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2002, 03:36
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
this is just part of many trivial things the RFC puts up to keep the focus away from the real stuff, and thats poor recruiting, and a real lack of developing talents into stars.

Example: ......Ezra Poyas, IMHO is a ready made senior player and can play anywhere on the park, personally I see him developing into a solid half back winger type that can kick goals....well in his first pre-season with us a few seasons ago it was said he talked it up too much on the training track and that a bunch of the senior players, knights, cambell and daffy, told him to shut-up and he had to earn respect before he could talk it up........ that is a disgrace and to me shows exactly why our younger players dont develop like other clubs.

With richo, big deal IMO, the poor kient does hamstrings b/c hes jumping all over the place trying to run down ridiculously errant passes week in week out, he finally spat it....although I agree with the action thats been taken Im not making him a scapegoat for the poor sh!t thats going on, on a much larger scale
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2002, 14:19
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
I wonder if Richo gave Spud the dummy spit when he dropped him.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2002, 08:14
Premier Player

Maybe the media should focus instead on the real problem at Tigerland, not just on Richo. Its not his fault that the supply from the midfield is probably the worst in the AFL. Everyone keeps harping on about Richo cracking the darkies just because the ball isnt hitting him on the chest..... well, he is playing full-forward, and that is where the ball is meant to hit him, on the bloody chest! If it isnt Richo playing FF its going to be someone else, who will also get the same ball supply as what Richo gets. So is getting rid of him really going to solve the problem at Richmond?

IMO I reckon Richo should leave Richmond, he will get picked up by a club with a better midfield that can hit good consistant accurate passes to their FF, and he will be an absolute star. Then that will stick it up all those Tigers supporters who are constantly bagging him only becoz its easier to point a finger at one player rather than all fingers and toes at the rest of the club!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2002, 15:06 Thread Starter
International

Forget the poor distribution from midfield - you could put Richo at Essendon or Port and he'd still do fcuk all. He's nowhere near as good as everyone (including himself) thinks he is and that's the cold hard facts here.

Lloyd and Tredrea are forwards - hell even Kent Kingsley at Geelong is kicking goals, and Geelong's midfield is hardly stellar - if the distribution from midfield is crap then suck it up and try and beat your opponent one-on-one, because you're not gonna take a mark on a lead.

Either Richo adapts to a more modern game or forget about it ... he, as well as guys like Sav Rocca, are almost obsolete - and it shows.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2002, 23:49
Star Player
Star Player

totally disagree dyertribe, youve got him all wrong, if you knew him better than just that puntz from richmond youd know no-one puts himself down more than richo himself, hes said on more than several occassions he doesnt even compare to players in the elite, like lloyd, hird, voss, buckley, McLeod, ricciutto and co.

Geelongs midfield is hardly stellar but they do win their fair share of ball against the best, they are plucky and they are considerasbly better than our middle.

The problem is Richo is never one-on-one if he was hed win the contest nearly every time and thats no over-statement, simply put hes the number one contested marks forward, and has proven this more than several times(seasons)...... to me that doesnt sound like a player who cant go one-on-one. Like we both mentioned, its not him but his team-mates and one of the main reasons I'd want to see him at a Bulldogs, Adelaide, Brisbane is that with a better forward set-up and better delivery hed show the knockers how good he really is.

Last year when he hit a purple patch in the second half of theyear he was clearly the dominant forward of the comp, he missed 4 games and still took 78 contested marks 12 more than 2nd place Ottens, not bad for a forward who cant play the modern game

BTW what exactly do you mean modern game? Hes totally different to rocca from Nth, whos a tank. Richo is just abt the best athlete in the AFL, with only bandy and Gherig in his league
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2002, 05:32
Premier Player

Distribution from the middle is very important dyertribe... if they cant hit a pass to the leading forward, what hope does the forward have? Do you think Lockett or Dunstall would have kicked as many goals as they did if they had such a pathetic supply coming into the forward 50?

Its funny how people quickly forget isnt it..... like tigerTUFF said when Richo hit his purple patch towards the end of last season, EVERYONE (media, fans, etc) was going on about how good he was. Coincidal perhaps that the Tigers were also in good form at the time, winning heaps of the ball, and playing full of confidence. Now Richmond is struggling, no confidence or self-esteem, Richo aint as dominant.... and all of a sudden its because of Richo's attitude that the Tigers are in trouble
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2002, 08:16 Thread Starter
International

pao1908 thanks for the lesson on midfield play dude You're talking to someone who watches Andrew McLeod every week and someome who used to watch Gavin Wanganeen and then Nathan Buckley put the Faulkner down Scott Hodges' throat at Port Adelaide - ahhh memories

I wasn't saying distribution wasn't important, far from it - I was saying that with or without it, IMO, Richo would be no different.

He is one of the only forwards who - when this magical distribution is non-existant - can't produce at all. If he is supposedly one of the greatest athletes in the game as TT said then why is he doing fcuk all without it?

Surely a great athlete could at least produce something ... especially with Ottens there to take away defenders like a magnet.

Hmmm ...

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2002, 08:59
Star Player
Star Player

a little contradictory there dyertribe

it wouldnt make a difference? but the difference has already been shown, there are seasons when hes been one of the 2 or 3 elite forwards, 1995 (b4 the knee, gun forward of the comp, we finished 4th) 1996(93 goals, missed finals on percentage won 12 games) 1998(abt 60odd goals top mark taker, miss finals on percentage), 2001(top marker and 50 goals, and heralded as the boom forward of the 2nd half of the season, prelim final).......1997 broke his arm twice, 2000 ripped his ankle ligaments and bones literally apart............

It has all to do with the way hes been set-up from up-field......plus hes done a hammy twice this year, so give him a few more before he gets some fitness going......

as for Otto taking defenders away like magnets, hmmmm.......well i think you got that one mixed up, have a look at ottos record with richo IN the side, and richo OUT of the side .....When we play essendon or brisbane who gets fletcher and Leppitsch, who gets Hay from hawthorn? silvagni last year.......list goes on....I can understand why lots of neutrals dont like him, he is overhyped for what hes achieved, but without the tunnel vision I can honestly say in full flight Id rather him than any other forward, except Lloyd.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2002, 09:16 Thread Starter
International

"When in full-flight" ... those are the key-words.

I have heard from many good judges that a young Barry Stoneham, pre-leg breaks and ligament and shoulder trouble was going to make Wayne Carey look like a pauper if he had've stayed sound - but he didn't and he turned out to be an honest, injury-prone key-position player.

I fully understand that when Richo is fit and on he is a weapon - but the reality is those times are few and far-between and you could say that about 200 other players currently in the competition - Hell, when McKernan is switched on he is a Brownlow Medallist (1996 - got rubbed out) ... When Sav is on he's a 90-goal-a-year forward as is Stewart Leowe ... even Aussie Jones was the Solar-System's most outstanding wingman at one stage.

In the end it all comes down to form, opinion and circumstance ... and at the moment with all those things taken into account, Matthew Richardson is playing for Coburg this weekend.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2002, 09:19 Thread Starter
International

Can I also just say how bloody refreshing it is to have some informed talk on sport in these recent threads???

I don't know about you blokes but I have really enjoyed reading these posts and partaking in the mental gymnastics of honest, informed banter regarding the AFL ...

Let's keep it up

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2002, 10:00
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by dyertribe
Can I also just say how bloody refreshing it is to have some informed talk on sport in these recent threads???

I don't know about you blokes but I have really enjoyed reading these posts and partaking in the mental gymnastics of honest, informed banter regarding the AFL ...

Let's keep it up
No problems

dyertribe, do you honestly believe that Lloyd would be just as good at Richmond as he is at Essendon?

Im not to sure about Stoneham being judged better than Carey as a younger player, but i know for a fact that Stewart Leowe was THE centre-half-forward. If Plugger hadnt gone to Sydney and Leowe was allowed to play at CHF rather than FF, we would have been regarded as one of the greatest.

The thing that gets me about this whole saga is this.... Richo is Richmonds marque player. He gets paid the most at the club, he is their no.1 forward, their most marketable player, the fans favourite (or villan as it seems), etc. Yet, because of the clubs shortfalls in other areas on the field, he becomes the no.1 scapegoat! Mate, if i was in his position and had to put up with the sh!t that gets served to him week in week out, id crack the darkies too.... and rightly so, coz the rest of the squad is making him look useless.

tigerTUFF, is Broderick part of the coaching team at Richmond? If not, then the best thing the Tiges could do is employ him as a kicking coach, to try and teach the up-coming youngsters at the club exactly how to kick to a leading forward. How the Tigers are missing Brodericks accurate kicking this season :depress:
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2002, 10:13 Thread Starter
International

Yeah pao it's a tough one ... I do think that Lloyd and Tredrea for that matter are much better on the ground and their second efforts are top-notch and can make their own chances a lot better than Richo can - but having said that it would depend on how Lloyd would fit into the Tiges forward set-up and vice-versa.

On Stoneham he was rated unbelievably highly as youngster down at Corio in the late 80's along side that dream machine forward line of Ablett, Brownless, Lindner, etc ... I know that champions of the calibre of Dermie, Sam, Specky Magee and other assorted luminaries have all made the call that an injury-free Barry Stoneham would have been a sight to behold and would've been at least on a par with the King.

On Broderick, sh1t I loved him ... he was an absolute scrubber (like John Blakey) but he worked damn hard and was rewarded for it - his delivery into the forward-50 was clinical and really, blokes like Joel Bowden could, as you say, learn a lot from him.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2002, 12:58
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Perhaps alot of the Tigers midfield have'nt been playing to the best of their capability this season Campbell has been average ,Matty Knights has had a rough patch and players like King and Sziller have struggled but it still does'nt excuse Richo he has'nt been up to his best,who knows what will happen at seasons end.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2002, 07:58
Star Player
Star Player

yep agreed, this has been very enjoyable........

on richo let me state it clearer, b/c u made a good point on how some players in full flight are/were phenomenal, I meant if every forward (including richo) was at his peak Id take richo over all of them barring lloyd, and I stick by that.....

I agree 100% tredrea and Lloyd are better on the ground in the sense that they have footy smarts, I'll freely admit that Richo lacks in this department, hes not a natural footballer and thinker, hes a pure instinct player and is a pure freAK when hes not down on confidence. But in terms of speed, endurance, athleticism. tredrea and Lloyd are not in his class. I try and say this without the slightest bit of bias, Ive seen carey at his best, Ive seen Mckernan at his best, Tredrea, Stoneham, and when richo takes games by the scruff of the neck he is the closest thing to carey- like.

On stoneham, injury did dampen a HUGE career, whilst not at a higher level than carey he was clearly nigh on unstoppable for a couple of seasons but having ablett in the same forward line taking the best defender always helped. his last 5 or so years were sad on what he could have been......

Carey has talked to hawthorn, richmond, adelaide and essendon, I smell a big 4 way trade, b/c essendon need to offload for the salary cap, adelaide are desperate to land a big quality forward, hawthorn too to release Thompson into the ruck, and richmond want some class on-ballers......

we should have taken Kane Johnson for Ben Holland when we had the chance!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2002, 12:28
Premier Player

Best thing Richmond could do right now is forget about this Richo business, and instead focus on getting rid of a certain money hungry player by the name of Gasper.

Sorry tigerTUFF, i know he is a top defender.... but right now the Tigers need players that are willing to play for yellow and blacks. If there is one thing i hate about footy its players like Gasper who basically hold clubs to ransom.

Its time for Frawley and Co to get the broom out of the closet and sweep some of the crap out of Punt Road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in