Where will Carey end up next year? ... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2002, 05:55 Thread Starter
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Where will Carey end up next year? ...

Brisbane? Adelaide? Stevo's house when he's away on his end of season trip?

But seriously, I'd love to see the big unit on the end of some McLeod and Roo-Dog specials as they stream out of midfield ...

Would you have him at your club? Do you think he'll even play again?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2002, 07:50
Premier Player

No i wouldnt have him at Hawthorn.....

I think the question should rather be.... which club would gamble on having him there??

He is past his best, cheated on his best friend by rooting his missus, and has caused disharmony on a club that revolved around him..... so which club would actually pick this guy up??

ps.... i think he would fit in at St.Kilda
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2002, 14:26
Star Player

who said carey was gunno be returning
who would want him anyways
chances, r he'll probably move to USA and play NFL

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2002, 15:29
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
He'll be 32 next season and as far as Im concerned hes a super talent but I wont like to see him at Carlton because we have to bring the kids up and The Kings salary will be far to much to fit in.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2002, 12:46
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
Ive got it on good mail that carlton will first sign Pagan and second win less than 5 games to get 2 priuority picks in the second draft (uncontracted players) and will pick up Leppitsch and carey........The King knows if he wants to play it will be for A LOT LESS $$$$, and I reckon hed play for almost nothing.

Or I could see him at sydney, I dont think any1 else would take him

Id love him at my club, hes still got some quality footy left in him
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2002, 13:13 Thread Starter
International

He's the greatest player I've ever seen ... to reiterate I'd love him at Footy Park.

To alarich, the first stories have surfaced that a few clubs are sniffing around and getting in touch with his manager Ricky Nixon - the first names mentioned were Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane - hence the resultant Akermanis outburst when he said he'd quit AFL and 'move over to Rugby Union' if Matthews drafted the King.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2002, 13:15 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerTUFF
Ive got it on good mail that carlton will first sign Pagan and second win less than 5 games to get 2 priuority picks in the second draft (uncontracted players) and will pick up Leppitsch and carey........The King knows if he wants to play it will be for A LOT LESS $$$$, and I reckon hed play for almost nothing.

Would big Jack have Carey at Optus Oval? ... But on the dosh side of things the Brunswick boys would have a fair bit of money to throw around when Bradley retires at the end of the season.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2002, 18:14
Star Player
Star Player

On the blue baggers - they'll have a sh!tload of casholes to throw around b/c they will clean out their list......

Im not sure, personally I think they are too proud a club to do a brisbane or melbourne or stkilda and deliberately throw a season to get priority picks, but then again these days with the huge rewards you get for being pathetic I think even big Jack would swallow his pride just so he could get to laugh last in a few years.......

Leppitsch is coming out of contract and only a huge change of heart will keep him in brisbane, he wants back to melbourne and Carlton are waiting with open arms......

I'll tell you what the next 4 weeks will tell a tale, richmond, carlton and Stkilda, who will throw games, keep an eye on things.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2002, 12:40 Thread Starter
International

That's why we need a draft lottery like the American pro-sports or free agency ...

Then we don't have to worry about teams throwing matches and this ridiculous 5 wins or under priority pick crap (which is asking for teams to throw matches) - under a lottery-system if you miss the finals you go into the draw for the top-8 draft picks.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2002, 13:10
Star Player
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by dyertribe
That's why we need a draft lottery like the American pro-sports or free agency ...

Then we don't have to worry about teams throwing matches and this ridiculous 5 wins or under priority pick crap (which is asking for teams to throw matches) - under a lottery-system if you miss the finals you go into the draw for the top-8 draft picks.

Yep, all this sh!t with 5 wins and under is a joke, why finish 9th, 10th, 11th? if you think by round 6 or 7 your at best a roughie for the finals and you know theres a good crop of youngsters in the draft why wouldnt you tank the season to get priority drafts?, that way in 2 years you'll go from roughie to genuine finals campaigner.

and that lottery is the way to go, I just dont get this reward for piss weak sides, the comp is getting stale, too manufactured. If a side is notoriously and traditionally sh!thouse then so be it! Let quality be rewarded
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old July 8th, 2002, 10:08
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Im with u Tiger tuff I cant believe this draft system its quite strange,We have sides finishing at the bottom year in year out and the ones who have success get penalised with the salary cap.Im a Carlton Fan and I really dont wanna finish last but Im a realist as much as I dislike Essendon they've been penalised with E.g Hardwick for eg the system needs to be revised.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old July 8th, 2002, 16:45 Thread Starter
International

That's been the basis of Brisbane's Premiership, as well as Melbourne's yoyo success ...

The Lions finished bottom in 1998 and won the flag in 2001 ...

That's horse-sh1t IMO ...

Same with Melbourne, bottom with 4 wins in 1997 and almost snare a flag 12 months later.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2002, 08:21
Premier Player

Richmond is after Carey. They will offer North Matthew Richardson and in return the Tigers will get the King. Straight out player swap
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2002, 12:08
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
I think that the national draft and salary cap makes the competition more even. If you look at soccer, where there aren't any of these things, the difference between the big clubs and small clubs is huge, whereas in AFL it is marginal.

As soon as the salary cap and draft go, so will half the Victorian clubs.

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2002, 15:18 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally posted by The Shev
As soon as the salary cap and draft go, so will half the Victorian clubs.

And there's a problem with this? I'm sorry but it's the premier Aussie Rules competition on the planet - and I'm sick and tired of seeing my club hamstrung by this pathetic salary-cap/draft/no trade system just so p1ssweak clubs like St. Kilda (1 Premiership in 105 seasons) can stay afloat for another 12 months.

I say again - the AFL is big business - if you don't have the money or the members to compete then get out of the stadium and let the big boys play.

Clubs like Adelaide and Carlton are stuck with the same old crap year-in, year-out even though they could afford to buy everyone's ass and it annoys me. In a free-agency system we could buy Archer, Harvey and Colbert from North Melbourne, Grant and Johnson from the Bulldogs and Everitt, Koschitzke and Harvey from Saints and actually have a chance of winning something, rather than having to rely on the sloppy-seconds of perennial cellar-dwellars in the draft who continually take the best kids because they can't even finish above 12th.

Or similarly, we could go straight to St. Kilda now and trade for these players and have them suit up this week - but no - we've got to stick with this communist system that doesn't reward the best clubs, but rewards the luckiest clubs.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2002, 23:56
Star Player
Star Player

4 VIC clubs need to merge, and they will in the next 5 years, Nth are teetering now, they have to pay out carey, they are being sued by their former CEO who was sacked plus they will run at a loss of abt 2 million $$$$$ this season, that equates to a loss of over $4 million this season, they are gawwwwn.

The Bulldogs, if they dont win a flag with this current crop of players in 3 seasons maximum they wont survive and will look at merging, StKilda same deal, and Im not sold on Melbourne, they just dont have the support but they are not in as bad a way as the other 3........
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2002, 10:25 Thread Starter
International

TT, bloody well said.

I think that the Bulldogs missed the boat a long time ago. Remembering back a ways, they lost the Prelim to Geelong in 92 on the back of Brownlow Medallist Scott Wynd and one-time spearhead Danny Del-Re ... they then got knocked out early on in the 1994 finals series thanks to that famous "Billy you are King of Geelong" post-siren effort ... and then we all know what happened when they were shaded in 97 and then steam-rolled in 98 by my lot.

They had a 5 or 6 season window - much like Geelong 89-95 -when they undoubtedly had the cattle to win a flag but didn't.

The biggest question mark lingers over St. Kilda from 96-99 ... they won the night Premiership in 96 and had golden ops in 97 and 98 to take the big prize - they then unbelievably sacked Stan Alves and replaced him with the biggest scape-goat of all-time Tim Watson who steered the squad to second or third midway through 99 before that game at Waverley when the Saints surrendered a 62-point lead to lose to Hawthorn and then the season fell-apart.

Some decisions were made which could've assured the Saints' future and ushered in a new era of professionalism and enlightenment down at Moorabbin - and I'm not even mentioning the Blight debacle - but to put it bluntly, the board fcuked up and the Saints are where they deserve to be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in