Season Review - Team By Team - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2002, 11:08 Thread Starter
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
Season Review - Team By Team

ok here goes, Im late, been busy but this is for those ppl north of the southern states ie NSW, QLD, PORTUGAL, EUROPE, THE AMERICAS etc

first up on the agenda last years premiers the

BRISBANE LIONS

realistically looking at the relative ages of their superstars this team is only beginning to touch base with their peak, which is a very scary thought for 15 other clubs.

FORWARDS: Lynch, Bradshaw and Brown make a frightening triple threat tall forward line...lynch is old but his body is healthy and strong, should be good again this season, bradshaw is one of the elite full forwards of the comp and Brown, well if there was a draft of every afl player starting from scratch to build a team odds are he'd be number 1 !! they are superbly backed by crumbers like power, McRae, cupido, with a bonafide midfield they are the leagues heaviest scorers......

MIDFIELD: Whilst I give port the title of deepest and fastest midfield, theres no doubt brisbane is the crack midfield of the competition, Voss, Black, brownlow medalist Akermanis, Lappin are awesome, rarely if ever is it ossible to stopp all 4 from creating openings, and they are all backed up by the workers like Hart, give stints to smart up and comers like Power and you have a midfield which looks impossible to better...

DEFENCE: Leppitsch and Mal Michael make a fantastic team....I think many ppl forgot that Leppitsch is as good as the big three tall defenders of the league Gaspar, Fletcher and Hay b/c he missed so much of last year.......Id say that brisbanes defence is its weakest third BUT in saying that how weak can a defence be when the midfield is rarely beaten? add to that theres no doubt brisbane is the best rebounding team in the comp, the way their defenders run their opponents down the ground time and again is staggering, and of course this just adds to the mayhem that when brisbane is dominating the game they seem to have players loose everywhere and they absolutely take you to the cleaners and ravage you ie 70 points against richmond in the preliminary final and the 45 odd points in a row they scored against essendon in the grandfinal....

PREDICTION: 1-2

Last edited by tigerTUFF; March 29th, 2002 at 11:12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2002, 11:27 Thread Starter
Star Player
Star Player

ESSENDON BOMBERS

Essendon slipping? yeah right! whilst they arent going to be nigh on unbeatable like they have been the last 3 seasons, they are still an awesome side with out and out champs all over the park......

FORWARDS: I think the best forward set-up in the comp. Loyd is the premier forward of the comp kicking over 100 goals in successive seasons easily! He alone accounted for abt a staggering 35 percent of essendons total goals scored last season! mssge, stop Loyd and you have a chance of not being on the receiving end of a spanking..Add to Lloyd the name of Hird, a player who has a licence to do what he likes whenever he likes without the consent of the coach! simply b/c there arent too many better thinking footballers out there, those 2 are enough to stamp essendon as scary but add Lucas, Alessio, Mercuri, Blumfield all interchanging and you think you have no hope of containg this set-up

MIDFIELD: I always thought last season that the midfield was essendons achiles heel, mind you itsa still in the top 4 of midfields in the comp , but now they are in a bit of strife b/c they dont have A RUCKMAN Salmon wont do anything out of retirement, Hill is raw as a green bean and Alesio is out indefinitely (4-8 weeks) But nevertheless a midfield brigade that contains players like a rejuvenated Mercuri and Misit, a fit again heffernan and Blumfield, the Johnsons (jason and mark) up and comers mark McVeigh and Corey McGrath and you have to acknowledge that what it lacks in pace it more than makes up for in pure class, it oozes it in fact....

DEFENCE: The defence has lost one of the grittiest medium defenders in the league Hardwick to Port and now recently lost the next grittiest medium defender in the comp Solomon for the year to a serious knee injury, but still they have Fletcher and Wellman as good a tall defensive duo as any other team can boast and they can rotate players like Heffernan, Blumfield McVeigh etc through there, nevertheless the defence doesnt look as unbreakable as it did last year

PREDICTION: 2-3
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2002, 07:00
Star Player

do the freo dockers next, please

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2002, 09:11
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Keep Going Giorgios !!!!!

100% agree with you accept I beleive Essendon losing Hardwick & now Soloman will hit them harder than even Essendon imagined !!! I think they are even shaky in the ruck , but are class else where !!!!! They have great depth.

Brisbane- again you are on the mark , except maybe for Alistair Lynch. I am reserved about him. He is now 35 ??? but having said that he did miss 3 years of training with CFS and how long that prolongs his footy career remains to be seen. Why I am reserved is Brisbanes heat. In the cooler climate of Melbourne I'd say yeah 100% but he isnt there. But Brisbane . YES they are F*cking awsome !!!!!!!!

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2002, 10:52 Thread Starter
Star Player
Star Player

yep no doubt hardwick and solomon are HUGE losses, and you hit the nail on the head abt lynch, thats why I think he can go 1 more year flat chat b/c of the time he missed........

ok next review by popular demand is the

FREMANTLE DOCKERS:

No doubt should be one of the big improvers of the comp, with an exciting young list, some gun personel picked up like croad, farmer, McPharlin and youngster Polak via the draft, not to mention the biggest recruit the COACH! hes alright guys!

DEFENCE: ok whilst the dockers dont have any set big names at the back, they do have something almost as good, and thats finding out this year who in fact out of their talented talls will end up the lynch-pin of their defence, will it be Pavlich or Croad? McPharlin or Brown? some exciting names there, word has it connelly will start off by playing Croad as a forward and Pavlich as the main defender taking the oppositions best forward week in week out.....I have no doubt Pavlich can do that but he can also kick goals, I expect by abt mid-season to see Pavlich playing centre-half-forward, but until then he will be a very tough backmen to beat. Leigh Brown I tip to take the next step this season and go from good youngster to a very solid centre-half-back......Jones if he stays fit is a very tough defender who I like the look of and players like parker will be better for the team taking the 3rd and 4th best forward instead of the best 2 like previous years. Troy simmonds is a handy pick-up too who can play defence or fill in the ruck

MIDFIELD: Always freo's strength, and this season is no exception. Since Neeshams whacked theory of possession footy which forced a ridiculous work ethic, frematle have been one of the competitions hardest running sides. Now they have some class and ball-gathering ability to compliment this. Cook and Bell are ball-magnets, not to mention Hasleby one of the most skillful players in the league already, hes very similar to Ratten from Carlton. Carr was a boom recruit last season and can plug holes down back or play as a tall midfielder, actually very under-rated and is certainly valuable...........In the ruck Longmuir and clem Michael (whom I rate highly) are a very talented young pair still learning the ropes and simon Estaugh is adequate back-up

FORWARDS: How exciting is the freo forward line??! Croad, Longmuir, Pavlich, Farmer, Waterhouse and Hasleby???unfortunately waterhouse is gone for the season but that still leaves 5 or 6 others who can take hold of a game....Let me say this, as a richmond supporter Ive had the chance to see farmer at his best many many times :fero: and when hes hot HE IS THE MOST DESTRUCTIVE FORCE IN FOOTBALL SINCE ABLETT, thats no exageration, he is half a team when flying and unstoppable, get ready for some real thrills freo supporters coz he is a freak

PREDICTION: 7-10 a year of experimentation, however if things click early enough, should have sufficient talent to stake a claim for the 8
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2002, 14:52
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Giorgos Clem Michael has retired !!! Freo have kept him on the list just in case he changes his mind.

Having said that on the rookie list keep this name in your memory bank, Aaron " Sandman " Sandilands !!! at 18 a whopping 211cm & still going and weighing in at 114kg !!!!!!! Freo doctors are predicting when he is done growing he will be at around the 213 cm mark and between the 120- 130kg mark !!!!!!! he is very strong over head is actually very quick off the mark and has a massive kick !!!!! HE IS A MONSTER !!!!!!

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in