Thoughts to Improve the AFL - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old November 24th, 2001, 07:29 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Thoughts to Improve the AFL

OK Fellas in what way do you think the AFL can be improve ?? I have a few ideas but I like to hear from you's guys first

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2001, 02:03
Premier Player

A return back to the days when the matches were all played on Saturday afternoons, not this nonsense of Friday mights, Sat arvo's & nights, Sunday morning & evening crap.

How i miss listening to the radio and hearing old Rexy saying....

"Now lets go around the grounds.... Al Martello at the 'Park... "

"Yes Rexy its the Hawks here still in control over the Blues by 17 points. Hawthorn 12.8 to Carlton 9.9, with Dunstall lining up for his 5th goal just 25 metres out...."

"Thanks Al..... Windy Hill, Galloping Gourmet whats the score there.... "

"Its still Essendon over the Tiges, but the Tigers are coming back strong, they trail by just 4 points now Rexy"

"And quickly over to Kardinia Park, Sammy Newman..... "

"Geelong just hanging in Rex, pathetic performance by the Cats, diabolical really, Ablett just kicked a goal to keep them 7 points in front."

"Ah, thankyouverymuch Sammy.... and here at the 'G, its the Carringbush in control over St.Kilda, as the umpire goes 'baaaang' and sends the ball spiiiiiiiiinning into the atmosphere......."
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2001, 12:40
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
I think the Vics should stop being so up themselves. Umpires and players, always want it their way, like I said before it's basically a VFL.

Was King Italy..

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2001, 11:45 Thread Starter
Star Player

Part 1 - Draft & Zoning

I beleive the AFL should re introduce the zoning system . How heart broken as a kid you are a champ footballer , one eyed Geelong supporter and you get drafted to Sydney . I beleive every team should be given 2 priority picks in each draft from there own zone , meaning if they develop a good player they should be able to pick them up with out the worries of the draft. At least you would see kids playing for teams they loved when growing up and bringing back the term " The love of the Jumper "

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2001, 11:58 Thread Starter
Star Player

Part 2 - Re-introducing the Reserves

I aint gonna pull any punches here , any one who thinks the standard of football is batter than it was 10 years ago has their heads in there a.r.s.e !!! Players being dropped from senior teams and going to play for others in another league & in some cases as is in WA & SA lining up with cross town rivals playing against team mates does not sit well with me . Reserves AFL comp should be in place . Atleast kids on the rookie lists get a run in the jumper !!

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2001, 12:13 Thread Starter
Star Player

Part 3- Senior lists

I beleive all Clubs Senior lists should be at 35 with a rookie list of 20 . That 35 shall be all over the age of 21 and the under 21's and newly - drafted playes go straight on the rookie list till the age of 21. While all 35 on the senior lists are allowed to play both levels a cap on the under 21's should be introduced , perhaps only 8 u21's per club per season . meaning exceptionally talented young kids still get there chance and kids otherwise who are not ready are not bought in too early and not mentally scarred.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2001, 09:10
Star Player

This might sound Stupid and gay?

But what about trying to create a International game huh guys what do u think?.

I think New Zealand and the other Oceania Countries will become good over time and this will improve the game!.I think Ireland needs to implemet a Amature Football League and also America has been known of having Amricans playing the sport what about them getting help to develop the game?

I think other time the sport wil grow!but i obvious want Rugby League to get a much better international game first but if AFL does get a International game it would be great!.

They should have a Tournament at the start of the year called International Football where Teams from Nw Zealand and Ireland and America and others come and play club teams from Australia it would be a good test! They also should have a Aboriginal team in the COmpetition! what do u think?

FORZA INTER
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2001, 11:13 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by INTER 1+8
This might sound Stupid and gay?

But what about trying to create a International game huh guys what do u think?.

I think New Zealand and the other Oceania Countries will become good over time and this will improve the game!.I think Ireland needs to implemet a Amature Football League and also America has been known of having Amricans playing the sport what about them getting help to develop the game?

I think other time the sport wil grow!but i obvious want Rugby League to get a much better international game first but if AFL does get a International game it would be great!.

They should have a Tournament at the start of the year called International Football where Teams from Nw Zealand and Ireland and America and others come and play club teams from Australia it would be a good test! They also should have a Aboriginal team in the COmpetition! what do u think?

FORZA INTER
Let them develop there own leagues fo 10 years then we'll see what happens

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2001, 15:28
Star Player

just a few unrealistic suggestions
i reckon that there should be more contact in the sport, like in NFL
and also i reckon they should reward 12 points if u the footy on to the top of the goal post, another idea, they should play with two footies at one time, it would be more exciting and interesting
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2001, 06:35
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Alarich
and also i reckon they should reward 12 points if u the footy on to the top of the goal post, another idea, they should play with two footies at one time, it would be more exciting and interesting
Yes, very unrealistic suggestions

Was King Italy..
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2001, 11:33 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Alarich
It may be unrealistis Alarich !! but I am with you on this !! Every year the AFL tinkers with the rules & the Umpires cop it in the neck cause they have to then annilyse 60 new rules on top of the existing 500 in which they have to make a decision in a split second !! I think the AFL should pull out the rule book from 15 years ago & you will see , we would have the REAL footbal I saw when I was a young kid !! And you saw some massive hits !! I think Trial by video destroyed all the biffo

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2001, 11:46
Legend

Yeah there are too may bloody stops in the AFL and it gets frustrating when you hear that freaking whistle all the time. Well you can't really hear it from the TV but it's annoying with all these stops.

Was King Italy..
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2001, 07:02
Premier Player

How about reducing the number of umpires from 3 back to 2..... this way stoopid free kicks wont be paid as the umpires would be too busy actually looking at the game rather than whats going on behind play. It would allow more aggresive play, more bumps and shirt-fronts, more wrestling off the ball... more of the things that make Aussie Rules what it is (or should i say what it was ).

And yes COUTO, scrap this trial-by-video crap! The way its going, a player will probably be suspended next year for passing wind within 3 metres of his opponent

Another rule that needs to be scrapped ASAP..... this bloody melee catastrophy!! There is nothing that gets the blood rushing quicker than seeing 15-20 gladiators testing their strength and defending their colours against their opposition. Can anyone honestly say that the adrenalin does not start pumping when they see this? I love it, and by crickey there should be more of it
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2001, 11:23 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by pao1908
How about reducing the number of umpires from 3 back to 2..... this way stoopid free kicks wont be paid as the umpires would be too busy actually looking at the game rather than whats going on behind play. It would allow more aggresive play, more bumps and shirt-fronts, more wrestling off the ball... more of the things that make Aussie Rules what it is (or should i say what it was ).

And yes COUTO, scrap this trial-by-video crap! The way its going, a player will probably be suspended next year for passing wind within 3 metres of his opponent

Another rule that needs to be scrapped ASAP..... this bloody melee catastrophy!! There is nothing that gets the blood rushing quicker than seeing 15-20 gladiators testing their strength and defending their colours against their opposition. Can anyone honestly say that the adrenalin does not start pumping when they see this? I love it, and by crickey there should be more of it
1st thing . YES 2 umpires only !!! how many times have we seen 1 umpire make decision , then the other turn the game on its head cause of someone doing something on the otherside of the ground ????? The game is being over umpired now for sure !!

2nd thing - I think they should keep trial by video !! You get to see some good footage after games !! but in all honesty . We have got thugs in our game & some do have to go !!

3rd thing - We wouldnt have melees if the game was being umpired properly . & the umpires are stupid for reporting them aswell !!!!! they give a count of 5 , now what are they umpiring Aussie rules or wrestling !!!!!1

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2001, 11:25 Thread Starter
Star Player

Another thing how about scrapping the 50metre penalty & re introducing the 15 meter penalty . The umpires always get sucked in 50% of the time and the other 50 % it wasnt there !!

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2001, 06:37
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by COUTO 5
Another thing how about scrapping the 50metre penalty & re introducing the 15 meter penalty . The umpires always get sucked in 50% of the time and the other 50 % it wasnt there !!
You forgot to add COUTO that the umpires 90% of the time dont even know how to count the full 50 metres!!

Hows about introducing a designated 'Yobbo' area at all grounds... a place where all us fanatics can gather together, drink, smoke, swear and generally act like d!ckheads without having to worry about little kids and concerned parents. Flares would be allowed, and chanting/singing (ala soccer style) would be encouraged. It would help bring back the atmosphere of being in the 'outer'
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2001, 11:05 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by pao1908

You forgot to add COUTO that the umpires 90% of the time dont even know how to count the full 50 metres!!

Hows about introducing a designated 'Yobbo' area at all grounds... a place where all us fanatics can gather together, drink, smoke, swear and generally act like d!ckheads without having to worry about little kids and concerned parents. Flares would be allowed, and chanting/singing (ala soccer style) would be encouraged. It would help bring back the atmosphere of being in the 'outer'
ummm if you wanted to do that you should be a Fremantle Docker supporter

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2001, 03:27
Premier Player

Well, you do know why Collingwood always has the largest banners on match days dont you?

Its because their cheer squad members are all unemployed, so they got all week to prepare it !!
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2001, 13:46 Thread Starter
Star Player

hahahaha !!

Who actually spells out what has to said !! I suppose between 1500 people making the one banner , with a total comined IQ of 20 I think they would be able to string a few 3-4 letter words together !!

" Win Pies , do it fro us bums "

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2001, 12:11
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
Improvements to the AFL

Get rid of the Ansett Cup, that way each team plays 30 games a year, two against each club. The draw would then be fairer as clubs won't complain about drawing better teams. And the home leg-away leg system would be fairer too. To replace the Ansett Cup, just schedule much more practice matches.

Change the 50 metre penalty back to 15 metres. It is too unfair to give away a free 50 metres, and it is usually for something so ridiculous like not giving the ball back properly, or holding too long after a mark, or talking back to an umpire.

Get rid of the third umpire, they keep ruining play and giving free-kicks behind the play. It ruins the game!

Don't give out petty fines or suspensions for melees. Let them fight and then get on with the game. Thats what the fans want. Thats what the players want. So why spoil it.

I will be back for more on the AFL's bull**** rules.

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in