Melbourne’ Demons - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2001, 19:50 Thread Starter
International

Melbourne’ Demons

Some history!
(With more to come)

*Melbourne is the oldest football club in Australia (formed by the game's founder Thomas Wentworth Wills in 1858), They are also alleged to be oldest football club in the world as well.

*Originally Melbourne was known as the 'Invincible Whites'. They adopted the Redlegs tag in 1872, which they are still occasionally referred to as.

*Melbourne's most common nickname is The Demons . It started being used after World War II when the coach ‘Checker’ Hughes persisted they play like Demons.

*Melbourne won their first VFL premiership in 1900. They had a 26 year break and won again in 1926.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2001, 05:03
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
and their late 1950's side is the greatest side of all time.

they are bluebloods, they are arrogant and they are dying a slow death

re more to come: Im looking forward to ure piece on the richmond tigers

Last edited by tigerTUFF; October 30th, 2001 at 05:10.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2001, 12:51
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Hey welcome Lady Eagle , I hope you are a regular visitor here to talk about the Dee's.

How do you think you will go next season ?? I personally think the Melbourne FC are at the crossroads .

BTW - One of my child hood heroes was Robbie Flower , even though I was a St Kilda supporter in my younger days ( No Freo Team then ), one of the memories I have, was Robbie Flower showing guts backing into a pack & Trevor Barker coming from nowhere and taking a screamer over Robbie Flower !!!

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2001, 03:52 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerTUFF
re more to come: Im looking forward to ure piece on the richmond tigers
Why don't you enlighten me...I'm here just to talk about the demons!!!

COUTO 5
Here is the lastest on Robbie:

Demon legend a poll rookie
By Mike Sheahan
Saturday, October 27, 2001

IN KEEPING with the vast majority of retired players, Robbie Flower is a greenhorn when it comes to politics, but a greenhorn learning on the job.

Melbourne's longest-serving player and aspiring board member received his latest lesson yesterday, and it was a brazen example of opportunism.

On his way to the MCG for the the announcement of the ''team Vision'' ticket that will contest the Melbourne election in December, he found himself entering the car park behind a woman driving a vehicle bearing the bumper sticker, ''Give Joe a Go''.

He was intrigued. She and he seemed to be headed for the same destination. Surely not?

The ''Joe'' in her bumper sticker is Joseph Gutnick, his enemy in election terms. She'd hardly be attempting to infiltrate the team Vision announcement, would she?

Yes, and she did, making it all the way to the media conference in the Barassi Room in the Great Southern Stand for the announcement.

Flower confronted her, discreetly and politely -- as you would expect from him -- when he spotted her in the section designated for the media.

She came clean, 'fessing up to being a member of the opposition.

Horror of horrors, a spy in the camp. She eventually left quietly. He didn't get her name.

If Flower thought football was a game of one-percenters, he now knows that it's even tighter in the trenches of an election campaign.

When he was asked to speak at the announcement of ''team Vision,'' he said: ''This is worse than playing football, I must admit''.

Flower, of course, is a key figure in this election. Perhaps the key figure.

Gutnick courted him heavily before incumbent president Gabriel Szondy and his team finally won the support of the club legend.

He wants nothing more than unity and stability at the board table, he said, and believes that end is more likely with Gutnick out of the picture.

The team Vision ticket headed by Szondy and Flower has been tailored for a confrontation for Gutnick and his team at the election, which will be held in December.

It contains five current members -- Szondy, Beverley O'Connor, Stephen Bickford, Gary Hardeman and Peter Hayes -- and five newcomers, in Flower and supporters who bring various areas of expertise: Peter Dohrmann, Paul Gardner, Robert Jamieson and Craig Perrett.

They represent medicine, advertising and public relations, the law, and marketing and communications.

The ticket contains 10 names, with two Melbourne Cricket Club nominees to come.

Szondy said he hoped members would not ''cherry pick'' in the election and that voters would endorse the entire team Vision group.

He said it was impossible to fast-track the election process, but added the club's financial situation was not as grim as it has been painted.

There was, though, sufficient cause for concern in relations with the AFL to initiate moves to ''mend some fences''.
Attached Images

post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2001, 04:01 Thread Starter
International

*Under coach ‘Checker’ Hughes, the Demons won three time (in 1939-40-41).

*The Demons reigned supreme with Smith as coach and the on-field leadership of Ron Barassi in the 1950s with five premierships in six years – 1955-56-57 and 1959-60. They also played in the 1958 Grand Final but were upset by Collingwood.

Melbourne won again in 1964 (their 12th), and this was their last win ‘til today. (Ready for the next season )

*In 1965 Barassi switched to Carlton and Smith was sacked mid-way through the year.

*Smith returned, but the Demons had lost their momentum and missed the finals for the first time since 1954 and this was the beginning of a difficult period for the club as they languished near the bottom for many years afterwards. :depress:

(still more to come)

Russell Robertson ...against some sucky team…
Attached Images

Last edited by LadyEagle; October 31st, 2001 at 04:04.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2001, 11:17
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyEagle
Melbourne won again in 1964 (their 12th), and this was their last win ‘til today. (Ready for the next season )
Yees Next season we will see a Melbourne V Fremantle GF in Darwin

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2001, 11:23
Star Player

Quote:
Russell Robertson ...against some sucky team…
Yes I remember that great attempt for a mark , but If I remember correctly Robertson spilled it & Dale Kickett ( 11 ) was awarded a free kick for interference . None the less Melbourne went on to win that game easily !!

We will see next season

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2001, 13:21
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Melbourne’ Demons

Quote:
Some history!
(With more to come) .
my mistake, I didnt know you actually barracked for melbourne, I thought you were going to do a history on all the clubs :embarass: doh!
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2001, 13:28
Star Player
Star Player

abt flowler a runt of a player but he oozed class, 15 years on I still cringe and can barely watch when 110kg dipper poleaxed poor robbie, says dipper I honestly thought he was dead.......

Melbourne have been very 2-faced abt this whole gutnick affair, they were more than happy to accomodate Joe when he was pouring his $3 million into club coffers to stave off extinction or merger, as soon as that money is finished hes pushed out. Its smart politics to use the no.1 club icon against him (yes flowers even more respected than barrassi) but IMHO this will rip the club apart. Their are many many dees supporters who love robbie but also want the doer diamond Joe to run their beloved club.

Diamond Joe should stay otherwise Melbourne wont last 5 years
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2001, 18:30 Thread Starter
International

Re: Re: Melbourne’ Demons

Quote:
my mistake, I didnt know you actually barracked for melbourne, I thought you were going to do a history on all the clubs :embarass: doh!
Actually that's not a bad idea.

Why don't you start by making a thread for the Tigers?
Couto can do the same for his team...whatever it is called.

And just curious, is that why your nick is tigerTUFF?
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2001, 01:48
Star Player
Star Player

sounds good to me

and yeah thats where I came up with my nick

If I may,

how did you start barracking for Melbourne? b/c our game is so 'unique', rarely does it have fans from o/seas, so Im curious
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2001, 11:36
Star Player

tiger I have spoken to Lady E & she is definately a dee's girl
when she first posted I tried to show her the good ways off the Fremantle Dockers but her heart is set on Melbourne !!

post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2001, 22:34 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
how did you start barracking for Melbourne? b/c our game is so 'unique', rarely does it have fans from o/seas, so Im curious
Oops...Sorry for taking so long.

Well, we used to be able to see Australian football games here in the US. I like Melbourne basically because they’re red demons (devils) just like me. I’m not a glory hunter, so I didn’t go for the most successful team. COUTO 5 tried to convince me that team he supports (whatever it is called ) is the best, but I know better than that. Now I don’t think I’ll be able to watch the games anymore (I don’t think they’ll have them on TV anymore ), so I follow them through the Internet.

Btw- When are you guys going to start the threads on you own teams? :nervous:
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2001, 02:08 Thread Starter
International

I just wrote a big post and my computer froze.

Darn it! (Speaking Australian-I think)

I guess I'll leave it for tomorrow.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2001, 12:54
Star Player

The team is the Fremantle Football Club , thanks Lady E

post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old November 7th, 2001, 17:15 Thread Starter
International

OK...thanks COUTO 5...
and their nickname is "fockers" or something like that. Right?

Thanks for the help, COUTO 5.
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2001, 04:46
Star Player
Star Player

lmaoooooo Couts looks like your west coast shenanigans arent gonna work on this lass, so quit while you have a tithe of self-respect left

I see, benfica devils melbourne demons, I should have guessed

From what I can remember espn? used to show a 1 hour show......the television rights have gone to another network down here for the next 5 years, so I guess new negotiations have to take place.......Im sure they'll want to come to a quick agreement soon, b/c the AFL have been ultra keen for years now to get some exposure into the states.

Ok I'll start working on my richmond history post, couts you start the freo one, and i'll do some of the other melbourne sides too.

mfa, its ok i'll do the richmond one for both of us at least one portuguese can claim to have some good taste in this forum

and lady E dont forget to repost that longwinded post you were right in the middle of when the scourge of cyberspace hit, looking forward to it
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2001, 13:08
Star Player

Thats a worrying trend having another Portista as a Tiger ( no offense mfa ) Hey tiges there is another Portista at WSB you could recruit as a Richmond Tiger , you wont miss him

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2001, 17:51 Thread Starter
International

Some people are easily influenced…some are not.

I’m told “Tu es do contra”….which means I’m against everything.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2001, 22:17
mfa
Premier Player

Teams: F.C.PORTO / Gil Vicente F.C.
Quote:

I see, benfica devils melbourne demons, I should have guessed

:dielaugh: benfica devils?hahaha...devils?How could you have guessed?devils....A bit too strong for that bunch of little birds,isn't it?:dielaugh:

Quote:

mfa, its ok i'll do the richmond one for both of us at least one portuguese can claim to have some good taste in this forum

tigers have always sounded better than demons :sweeteye:

div

25-Ricardo Fernandes ...27/06/2003 12/07/2003 14/07/2003 ... ... ...FCP

Hey O'Neill, take a break will ya

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in