Ireland beat Australia - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2001, 09:19 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
Ireland beat Australia

In the International Rules last night. The final score was 59-53. Ireland scored 2 goals and Australia 1 and there were plenty of overs.

Was King Italy..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2001, 08:23
Star Player

To me this International rules thing is pretty much Gay it's stupid round ball and this overs crap!!AFL should set up development places in New Zealand and Ireland and Asia and other places to make AFL an actually International i know this is making thing progress!!but in America AFL is being played why doesnt people go to America and actually develop the game?!Seriously there is pontential to make the game larger if they think about it.

FORZA INTER!!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2001, 20:56
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by INTER 1+8
To me this International rules thing is pretty much Gay it's stupid round ball and this overs crap!!
come on its fantastic
ausie rules is exciting but there are aspects that should be changed.
the reason for the round ball is to level things up.Gaelic football is played with a round ball.
The only thing that should be changed is that fu*king aussie ref.
HE WAS SO one sided.he gave everything to australia while mgGeeny was so neutral a typical performance from a great ref,too bad the same can't be said about the ausie ref
Alot of your fellow ausies would disagree with above also,judging by the crowd on fri last and the ticket sales for next fri in adelade.
prediction for next fri.....Irish to win by 5 pts and Donnelan,O Hara,O shea and Tohil to have stormers

ps...ausies watch out for Stynes.....one for the future!!!!!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old October 23rd, 2001, 12:19
Rising Star

Quote:
AFL should set up development places in New Zealand and Ireland
Do you really think the AFL could get a good base in Ireland as the GAA is such a part of life here.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old October 23rd, 2001, 12:41
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
I love the concept of the series , but I feel Ireland have the advantage with the use off the round ball. I will unashamedely say I think gaelic football is a great game but if the AFL put all there hardnut players on the field instead of the pretty boys , Ireland would wave been hurt.

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old October 23rd, 2001, 12:52
Rising Star

Oh, Ireland have a huge advantage. If it was played with an oval Aussie rules ball though, it wouldn't even be a contest, Australia would win easy.

Last year when Australia won, I felt it was the first time any of the teams treated it as a seperate sport, and that's why the Aussies won so well.

Also, the main reason they've stopped putting "Hardnut" players out was that they aren't suited to the game. In 1998, the AFL sent over the all-Austalia team, and in the second test some of the big guys were made look stupid by Peter Canavan, who isn't the biggest bloke in the world.
The smaller, faster guys are who won it for Australia last year.

However, the Aussie coach said last year, that now they'd got the hang of the round ball they'd allways beat Ireland. That pissed a lot of people off, especially McEniff (Irish Coach).

Finally, I think it is easier for the visiting team to build team spirit as it's such a long journey to undertake.

Good to see that AFL fans like the series aswell.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old October 23rd, 2001, 15:07
Rising Star

International rules is a great game and i think the GAA should seriously consider taking incorporating some of the aspects of it into football, such as the pick up off the ground, the mark and the hard tackling
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2001, 05:28
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
I dont really like it, Ive been for the concept until this season, quite frankly a game of footy is much more exciting to me.

our afl players run at breakneck speed playing afl, b/c they are comfortable with the ball and its second nature to them, with the round ball, they stop-start, cant run fluently weith it and look downright silly with their complete lack of skills. They cant judge the flight of the ball, if they didthe Irish wouldnt take a single mark for the entirety of the game. Id rather watch state of origin footy, we just arent good enough with the round ball for me to truly enjoy it. I love the game dont get me wrong, Ireland play it sublimely, we dont and as a fan I dont like watching our players have 60% of the play to stay neck and neck. Once the irish started dominating you all saw how they took us apart. Its not a feasible game IMO.

and I agree with couts, if the big bodies hadda played like voss, buckley, hird, fletcher, just to name a few, they would have been to strong. You may not think but those players are suited to it, b/c they are naturally gifted skillful players and believe me cavanagh got under their skin in 1998 b/c the players werent used to the concept. Trust me their are little goalsneaks in afl who are more dainty of foot than cavanagh. The year after cavanagh wasnt half as dangerous coz akermanis stood him.

maybe if we trained more than 4 days b4 the first test maybe our skills would pick up and Id enjoy it more
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2001, 12:51
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
I wonder how the Irish borys would have gone against some of the famous Aussie rough heads of the past ??

Mal Brown
Stephen Michael
Tony Lockett- the Emporor
Warren Jones
Danny Southern
Robbie Muir
David Rhys Jones

And can keep going for a wkile her

Pity the AFL names players who are to Gay . And are afraid of physical contact

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2001, 16:39
Rising Star

i wonder how the Aussies would have delt with some of the former irish roughheads

Spallane
O Shea
Anton O toole (my cousin)
Kevin Moran
Joe Corcoran
and all those other greats#

Frankly the ausies should have won it.they're so called professionals and the Irish are so called Amaturs.
If someone was locked away for 100 years,shown that international rules game and asked ,who are the pros , he'd definitly say the irish

Ta ar la tagtha!!!!!!!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2001, 02:31
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
yeah exactly we play with a round ball abt 10-14 days a year, so we may be superior athletes, but we are definitely the amatuers when it comes to the skill
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2001, 16:07 Thread Starter
Legend

Anthony, you forgot to add John Worsfold to that list, he would have bowled the Irish over, and I would love to see Libba and Danny Southern playing

And of course Plugga

Was King Italy..
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2001, 04:07
Star Player

Too bad the are all retire pesa
except fpr libba
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old November 25th, 2001, 12:42 Thread Starter
Legend

Yes I always admired John Worsfold. He used to pump anyone that would come in his way, it was good to watch, especially when he hammered the Vics

Was King Italy..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in