Ottens vs Lucas - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2001, 05:48 Thread Starter
International

Ottens vs Lucas

Both have been dubbed as the next great centre half-fowards. Who do you think can fufill his potential ? I think that theses two will bring back the days of Dermott and Carey.

Here are 2 very good articles about each player:

Brad Ottens

ROYCE Hart, Terry Daniher, Dermott Brereton, Stephen Kernahan, Wayne Carey ... Brad Ottens?

Richmond's Ottens is being given the chance to establish himself as the next great centre half-forward of the AFL and his coach Danny Frawley believes he can do it.

The 21-year-old will take the field against St Kilda tomorrow having played just half a dozen games in what has been regarded as the most difficult position in the game.

'He's a terrific talent, he can play ruck and is trying to play centre half-forward,' Frawley said.

'It's a very hard position to play but he's got all the attributes to maybe play a long career at centre half-forward.

'He can win the ball at ground level, he can win it in the air, he's got a very quick brain and his use by hand and foot is good, so he's going to have a crack at that position.

'Only the minority are able to play there for a number of years and to play there for ten years, you're a great player.

'He's played there about six games, so let's see what happens over the next ten years.'

Ottens certainly had the grooming to be the next big thing in the key attacking post - he was recruited from South Australian club Glenelg, where Kernahan also made his name and for which Hart also played in the 1969 grand final.

Ottens will have few better opportunities to show his best than tomorrow, as injury-struck St Kilda is having difficulty putting together an effective defensive unit.

The Saints would be further stretched tomorrow by the return of Tigers full forward Matthew Richardson from a hamstring injury, while ruckman/forward Brendon Gale was also deemed fit despite injuring his shoulder last week.

Off-season recruit Fraser Gehrig has been one of the Saints few well-performed defenders in 2001, and his pace and athleticism makes him the likely opponent for Richardson.

That could leave 18-year-old Saint Justin Koschitzke to mark Ottens, perhaps marking the start of a long rivalry between two of the most talented young big men in the game.

Scott Lucas

SCOTT Lucas copped bad press last year.

It was as if he was being vilified for failing to keep pace with teammate and friend from junior days, Matty Lloyd, but who has?

Lucas was seen to be a brilliant youngster who had lost his way.

Worse, he was seen to be hungry, notorious for choosing to kick for goal from distances that Ben Graham would consider beyond him.

Being both tall (192cm) and one-sided, he was outstanding for all the wrong reasons.

Yet, the same Lucas played 23 of a possible 25 games last year, kicking 57 goals, a total that would have won the goalkicking award at 11 clubs.

Problem was Lloyd kicked 109, and James Hird was even better up forward.

Kevin Sheedy, though, is nothing if not loyal. He sticks with his men, and, despite the speculation, Lucas never was leaving Windy Hill.

Lucas, 23, is repaying the faith.

He is averaging 14 possessions and five marks from his 14 games this year, and has kicked 16 goals (and 20 behinds).

He looked more assured against the Bulldogs last Friday night than he has in a long time, accumulating 20 possessions, taking eight marks and kicking three goals.

He first reminded us just how penetrating he can be on the left foot, clearing the flood from farther than 60m.

He is maturing, and he will be better for the pain and frustration of the past two years.

In 1998, Lloyd finished third in the best and fairest with 70 goals from 23 games; Lucas sixth with 49 from 23.

In August 1998, in a joint interview in the Herald Sun, Lucas said his dream was to play 200 games with Lloyd as Essendon's key forwards . . . ''Dunstall and Brereton sort of thing''.

They had played 54 games each at the time.

Six months later, they reached a fork in the road.

Lloyd continued towards his destiny as a champion; Lucas struggled for form in the early part of 1999 before suffering a shocking broken ankle. As if there's a ''good'' broken ankle.

The road back has been longer and more hazardous than Lucas would have expected.

More recently, he seems to be enjoying his footy more, as you should as an automatic selection at Essendon. He seems more relaxed, more adventurous. He is more productive.

At 23 and with 106 games and 164 goals to his name, it is very early on in the Lucas story.

Lloyd and Lucas are back on track to becoming the Dunstall and Brereton of their time, albeit in different style.

My Verdict

I say that right now, Ottens is on form and Lucas is not. But Lucas in my opinion is MORE of a centre half foward. Ottens can mark, but he can be marked out of a game very easily. While Lucas always gets the goals, disposals and marks. For me it's Lucas. But next year, both of these players should be amongst the top 15 in competion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2001, 06:22
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
Id pick Ottens b/c hes a ruckman. I think up forward they are pretty even, Ottens is a better pack and contested mark, Lucas is a brilliant kick on the run, both are dead-eye dicks, but Otten's future is to play like spider Everitt, a ruckman who can kick goals. Personally I think Ottens has more talent but maybe Lucas' time hasnt arrived yet with all the other guns he has to contend with in the Essendon forward line.

Christian hows abt Lloyd-Hird, VS Richo-Ottens The essendon duo is the best no doubt, but Id say we're next best
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2001, 12:33 Thread Starter
International

I agree. But Lappin-Whitnall is really pushing. As for Ottens, I think the Tiges will trade him to bring home a ball-winner. They should aim for players like Misiti.

A Ottens-Misiti deal would be great

We have been dropping form ever since 'Smokin Joe came in. Peverill and him would do great.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2001, 02:01
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
somehow I dont think they'll trade Otto actually considering that hes already one of our top 3 players Id say it would be footy suicide to trade him. Only him, Richo and Gaspar are the players you could call almost champs from our line-up, they're the players we must hold onto and build around......

We need like you said a couple of quality ball-winners, big strong on-ballers like a Goodwin from Adelaide, we need a crumbing forward like Vardy from Adelaide and we need an extra quick medium defender, torney sucks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2001, 14:30
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
Ottens V Lucas
IMO very hard to judge at this stage of their careers. But if I was to choose one it would be Ottens basically cause he is more consistent & his general game has not taken a backward step. I expect to see bigger steps taken next season.
Lucas on the other hand is a bit incosistent but on the other hand has showed he could play a very good brand of football. If he can stay injury free next season It also could be a good one for him.
But standing on the outside looking in ,Ottens for mind is a lot more of a tougher player to man up on, to tall, athletic and pretyy damaging inside the 50 especailly when the opposing team has turned the ball over in the midfield.

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2001, 06:29
CUG
Legend

Teams: Juventus
as for a centre half forward...Lance Whitnall has it in the bag. He is a genious.

Ottens is way better than Lucas, Lucas can only play in the forward, and he has only his left foot. Ottens has a great kick for goal, more of a full forward and play in the ruck.

Ottens all the way...,but Whitnall is teh man
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old September 23rd, 2001, 11:50
Rising Star

I'd have Ottens' jockstrap before Lucas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in