Freo Heave Ho

Freo heave Ho

Hawthorn 13.12.90
Fremantle 16.10.106

What a day,the Dockers first win of the year
Too bad Hawthorn,Freo had to win someday

And yes,I tipped them once again,and my patience paid off

Was King Italy..

Last edited by King Italy; August 4th, 2001 at 07:52.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2001, 15:46 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
Whipping boys can smile at last
By Chris Lines

Saturday, August 04, 2001

THEY had been vilified, castigated and humiliated all year, but finally Fremantle's players and fans can celebrate a win.

The 2001 season has been easily the most depressing and disheartening in Freo's seven-year history, with the club failing to win a game before today.

The Dockers sacked coach Damian Drum in shabby fashion after nine losses, lost its chief executive, and under interim coach Ben Allan had arguably become even worse.

At the helm of the unseaworthy ship was president Ross McLean, who must have winced at every barb, joke and condemnation by the football cognescenti, so his enthusiasm about a 1-17 team after the match was excusable.

'I'm thrilled for all our supporters, all our staff, our players, our coaches - no one knows how tough it is to be 0-17 and this is an enormous relief,' McLean said among beaming faces in the dressing rooms.

'Beating Hawthorn in Melbourne, and some of the young kids doing well - there is a lot of hope there for the future.

'We'll take a lot out of this, it just means so much.

'If we take some heart from beating the third-placed team in Melbourne, we can go up against West Coast next week and can beat them and then beat Adelaide at home and maybe beat Melbourne.

'I know I'm sounding silly and greedy, but if we can finish with three wins out of the next four games it'll give a lot of hope and lot of purpose toward the planning for next year.'

It had been 370 days since Dockers fans had sung the club song in celebration, but it echoed around a quickly deserted Colonial Stadium today as about two dozen of the hardiest travelling fans in the AFL took the opportunity to celebrate.

'They are the most loyal bunch of supporters in the whole AFL, no doubt, and this victory is for them' McLean said.

'They should see in that victory some really strong hope for the future, and they've just been terrific.'

Was King Italy..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2001, 15:48 Thread Starter
Legend

Freo breaks year-long losing streak with comeback
By Chris Lines

Saturday, August 04, 2001

FREMANTLE today snapped a year-long losing streak in stunning fashion, coming from seven goals down to beat third-placed Hawthorn in the biggest AFL upset in years.

It was on July 30 last year that the Dockers last won, and before today's 16.10 (106) to 13.12 (90) victory they were considered near certainties to become the first team in 37 years to go through a VFL/AFL season without a win.

Trailling by 41 points in the second quarter against the third-placed Hawks, Freo looked like receiving a regulation thrashing.

The comeback was justifiably celebrated like a premiership by the success-starved Dockers, who gathered in the Colonial Stadium centre square after the siren in a team embrace before saluting their long-suffering fans.

'I'm thrilled for all our supporters and all our staff, all the players and the coaches - no-one knows how tough it is to be 0-17 and this is an enormous relief,' club president Ross McLean said.

The winless record disguised the fact Fremantle had been in winning positions in several matches this year, but lack of confidence, belief or footballing savvy had always snatched away the four points.

'Finally at three-quarter time they had a belief...for whatever reason they showed some steel and it was a great to finish off,' interim coach Ben Allan said.

'It was a pretty long final quarter from our point of view. I kept asking Norm our stats man how long to go.

'They won't go overboard because we're 1-17, we know that, but its just a huge relief for the boys and they've got to have some respite - they're going to enjoy it.'

Hawthorn led by 40 points midway through the second term when young Freo forward Matthew Pavlich inspired a mini-revival, dishing off one goal and kicking two of his own to narrow the gap to five goals at the main change.

Hawthorn were without any fit players on the bench in the second half - captain Shane Crawford had a corked thigh, Daniel Chick a hamstring strain, Jade Rawlings an ankle problem and Tim Clarke a suspected broken collarbone.

Freo rattled on three goals in the opening six minutes of the third term, and when Steven Koops snapped his second, the gap was down to four points.

However, the Hawks steadied to hold an unconvincing 13-point advantage at the last change.

Hawthorn coach Peter Schwab had committed not to give the three-quarter time address as he eased himself back from last week's heart problems, but must have been sorely tempted to give a much-needed rev-up.

The Hawks led by 14 points at the 12-minute mark of the final term and looked like hanging on before Pavlich inspired again with a goal from deep in the forward pocket, the superb Peter Bell snapped another and Koops roved to goal at the 16-minute mark to put Freo in front for the first time.

The home side missed a couple of opportunities to take back the lead before Justin Longmuir kicked his fourth and fifth goals of the second half to seal the famous win.

'A top four side playing a side that hasn't won a game and we can't beat them is not good form regardless of the circumstances,' Schwab said.

'It's effectively obliterated what happened last week for us.

'Hopefully it's a wake-up call for us, hopefully the players understand how tough the competition is and how much they have to fight for it - the next month of footy will be very interesting for us.'

Chick was likely to miss two matches, Crawford and Rawlings one week while Clarke was out for the season if tomorrow's x-rays confirmed a break.

Freo's Heath Black will front the tribunal on three seperate counts after an angry and undisciplined first half.

Was King Italy..

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2001, 04:02
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH my head , what a hangover ??

yeah what a great win!! I thought Bell was superb, Longmuir was all class And Robert Haddrill was great, But that f U C K en poodle haed Mcmanus is sh!te Again,I thought he was going to lose the game for us again.

Yo's guys want to hear something that makes my stomach turn, that dog is on $ 350,000 per year

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2001, 04:12 Thread Starter
Legend

Macca is a legend

Was King Italy..
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2001, 01:15
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
great win for freo, it was coming and it just happened to be hawthorn who was the unfortunate team. no offence to freo but getting beat by them (especially when ure going for a top4) is nothing short of a nightmare.........

Macmanus: I used to really like him, I thought he was a wonderful player but I guess 2 knee re-constructions will do that to ya.still its hard to believe hes on that much....

ok bell was amazing 38 touches, Longmuir is all class and freo better hold onto him, Pavlich is showing a bit and actually that makes a pretty potent forward line, add to that a couple of shifty crummers which freo have in abundance, that albino waterhouse and u have at worst a middle of the road forward line which in a few years could be lethal. man Id love a longmuir in our team. Cooky and fletcher are ball winners, brown is a prospect down back, clem michael can be very good, jones who I personally think can be a wonderful player, as an athletic tall, these guys can be the nucleus of a good side...... im sure there are more but i havent really seen too much of freo this season,

question : WHO WILL WIN THE DERBY NEXT WEEK? how can we forget the bloodbath from last time couts take some baroccas and give us ure thoughts on the players freo should keep.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2001, 06:32
Rising Star

Congrats Freo.

It was one of the darkest days in my 18 years of following Hawthorn. Sure we only had 16 fit players but we should never have let a 41 point lead slip. Oh well, we'll bounce back, we aren't going to be a huge force for 2 years so this will be beneficial in the long run. Unlike some of our supporters i'll stick by them through everything.

GO HAWKERS!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2001, 13:00
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by King Italy
Macca is a legend
Man where have you been living, McManus is the sh!test player in the AFL. Yous guys want to hear a story from a reliable source of mine. Dogman & Bandy will be traded or delisted at the end of the year

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2001, 13:50
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerTUFF

question : WHO WILL WIN THE DERBY NEXT WEEK? how can we forget the bloodbath from last time couts take some baroccas and give us ure thoughts on the players freo should keep.
I think Fremantle will win it this sunday. They now have belief in themselves.

Players on the list below will be playing with Fremantle next season:
Peter Bell - Captain
Leigh Brown
Anthony Jones
Adam McPhee
Paul Hasleby
Mathew Pavlich
Justin Longmuir
Clive Waterhouse
Mathew Carr
Heath Black
Simon Eastaugh
Keiren Ugle
Troy Cook
Ben Cunningham
Antoni Grover
Robert Haddrill
Andrew Shipp
James Walker
Dion Woods
Brad Dodd
Ashley Clancy
Shane Parker
Clem Michael - If Fit

Who ever is not on this list will be feeling a tad nervous at the end of the month, along with the coaching staff & the clowns in the offices

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2001, 14:53
Premier Player

NO OFFENCE TO FREMANTLE SUPPORTERS......

Freo won fair and square... long over-due.... but Hawthorn was victim of all the media hype...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2001, 16:15
Star Player

SHI YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2001, 15:08 Thread Starter
Legend

Freo should beat the Eagles this week.

Was King Italy..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in