The greatest match ever ?? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2001, 09:20 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Portugal NT ,Maritimo & Fremantle Dockers
The greatest match ever ??

Surely and I have seen alot of footbal to know what I am talking about. The Game Essendon V Kangaroos had to be the greatest game ever played. This game had the greatest comeback & the highest aggregate score kicked in a game. for those of you who don't know the score it was Essendon 27.9 171 beating the luckless Kangaroos 25.9 159.
The 2 other best games I had seen before that was the 2 games Hawthorn and Geelong played in 1989. and those games were absolutu pealers.

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

Click Here for Couto 5's McDonalds Adventures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2001, 10:36
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
Throwing away a 69 point lead is quite absurd or outrageous,whatever u like to call it.You feel so sorry for Denis Pagan as he was walking onto the ground,if I was the coach of the Kangas I would be ripping my hair out.52 goals is quite amazing.That is more than the Dockers have kicked this whole season :depress:

Was King Italy..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2001, 10:48 Thread Starter
Star Player

that 69 point lead is theequal of the Dockers highest score for the year

" We are descended from a nation of great warriors & we are capable of recovering and returning to play" - Jaime Pacheco 11-9-01.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2001, 13:28
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
one of the greatest Ive ever seen but theres been better when the stakes were higher, of course to come back from 69 pts is just incredible but yeh it ranks as prob one of the 3 or 4 best Ive ever seen....that 2nd quarter ranks as just abt the best footy Ive ever seen a side play, only carlton 1995 96 pts margin in the 3rd quarter of the grandfinal equals it......WOW................... hats off to NTH wothout their 3 most influential players they almost played themselves into grandfinal calculations..........

so did anybody see richmonds 9 goal 1st quarter?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2001, 15:23 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerTUFF

so did anybody see richmonds 9 goal 1st quarter?
Yes I was impressed , but the Kangas first quarter was awesome.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2001, 05:30
Premier Player

Yes, this game was one of the greatest, it had it all.... 52 goals, the greatest ever comeback, couldnt believe Nth had 12 straight in the 1st qtr and it could have been 13 had King kicked straight!! That second qtr revival was simply awesome... i doubt we will see another game like this again this season!!

For the record, i still reckon the '89 GF was the best i've seen... Yates cleaning up Dermie at the first bounce.. Dermie picking himself up and kicking a goal not long afterwards... Hawthorn racing out to a comanding lead during the game... Geelong making a spirited comeback late in the game... both teams throwing everything at each other, putting their bodies on the line at all times... god kicking 9 goals.... the Hawks just holding on at the final siren by a goal... both teams ending up with 16 "fit" men... Dipper playing the whole second half with a puntured lung... What a f**kin game
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2001, 13:24
Rising Star

Ess vs Nth would have to be up there. I was actually out at Williamstown watching Box Hill Vs Williamstown (not quite as entertaining!) but i taped the game on Optus and watched it that night. Super game.

Rd 6 1989 Hawthorn Vs Geelong @ Princes Park was a bloody good game. Geelong led by about 50 points at half time and Hawthorn came over the top to win. Haw 171 def Geel 163....i think. Gavin Exell kicked 9 for the Cats, Ablett got 5 playing on a wing. Gary Buckenara and Dermott Brereton both kicked 5 for the Hawks. I thought we were gone at half time but in those days you could never write us off. It was probably one of the best games i've seen, i went to the 89 GF and that rates highly too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in