Weekly news and wrap...... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 207 (permalink) Old March 13th, 2001, 03:50 Thread Starter
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
Ok guys, Im going to do my best and put down as much info as time allows me throughout the forthcoming season. With the Olympics last year its been WAY too long between drinks

Hopefully other AFL fans will frequent this thread and give their input as well as posters world wide who are curious abt our game and would perhaps like to learn of it. and why not? Its a brilliant game

The 2001 season starts in 2 and a half weeks, so from now until then i'll start off by doing a post on each of the 16 teams, which is basically on what players theyve recruited, how they are on the injury front and importantly how they're looking for the upcoming season. Remember this is just my opinion and you can certainly let me have it if im a little biased in situations, not mentioning any particular team ofcourse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 207 (permalink) Old March 13th, 2001, 08:38
Rising Star

I'll be more than glad to help you out buddy I'll rate those Hawks for ya We have the goods!

The Tigers are looking pretty good too
post #3 of 207 (permalink) Old March 13th, 2001, 10:07
International

The bombers are my job.

They are looking like loosers this year.

The will win the grand final

post #4 of 207 (permalink) Old March 13th, 2001, 10:10
International

The bombers are my job.

They are looking like loosers this year.

They will change into last years side
post #5 of 207 (permalink) Old March 14th, 2001, 06:13 Thread Starter
Star Player
Star Player

hehehehe, thanks guys too many hawks supporters! Baggio, pao and paok hooligans, who only visits the greek forum.

Ok first team is the much despised scum...errrr...pride of South Australia

ADELAIDE CROWS: The crows are one of the new teams of the AFL being premiers 2 times in those 10 years since 1991. I hate this team along with the West Coast Eagles above all other interstate teams simply b/c they were brought into the AFL with an entourage that included ass wipers and golden spoon feeders. They got their pick from their whole state! and a number of uncontracted players for free!! Thats why i'll never appreciate this team especially when you compare them to what some Victorian battling clubs have gone through!
Have a pretty decent 20-25 players, depth is a worry, as shown last year when they had a few injuries and just went from average to worse. They have some very talented top notch players RICCIUTO, McLEOD, HART, SMART, GOODWIN, JARMAN, VARDY, and thats where it finishes. They probably made the worst trading move of all clubs in the off-season when they traded what i belive to be the best ruckman in the laegue for a 3rd rnd draft pick lol! Ok hes had a few knees reco's but come on!

Final prognosis: Adelaide will not make the finals, a thin playing list, offset somewhat by a daunting home ground advantage but IMO a crap coach who doesnt have what it takes to get them over the line. likely finish 12-14.

[Edited by tigerTUFF on 14-03-2001 at 07:44]
post #6 of 207 (permalink) Old March 14th, 2001, 11:16
Rising Star

HAWTHORN HAWKS:
What was a mediocre year turned into a big step forward after defeating the Cats and then missing out on a preliminary final birth by 10 points at the hands of the Kanagaroos.

Hawthorn arguably has the best 'spine' of any team in the competition:
---------------------HAY----------------------
--------------------CROAD---------------------
-------------------CRAWFORD-------------------
-------------------HOLLAND--------------------
-------------------THOMPSON-------------------
However the midfield will be heavily reliant on Shane Crawford getting back to his best form and Shaun Rehn staying injury free. If the midfield can 'break even' in most matches then Hawthorn SHOULD make the finals and even push for a preliminary final appearance. Depth isn't a problem when it comes to tall players but if any of Hawthorn's better midfielders go down then they will struggle to find competent replacements. Peter Schwab is a very talented coach and by all reports the team really love playing for him.

Apart from Rehn there are no real significant arrivals, with most of the draftees (with the exception of Nick Ries and Steven Greene) expected to be long term prospects.

PLAYERS TO WATCH:
NATHAN THOMPSON: Finally injury free, if left at full forward for the year he is capable of kicking 60+ goals.
BRETT JOHNSON: Classy left footed midfielder who starred in Hawthorn's finals loss to Nth Melb, should play all year.
TIM CLARKE: Can run all day and has good skills, brother of olympian Georgie Clarke Impressed last weekend vs Brisbane.
SHAUN REHN: If he stays injury free he should be the perfect replacement for Paul Salmon.

PREDICTION: Every team needs luck with injuries (i bet u know that TigerTuff ) If Hawthorn can stay relatively injury free then they should anywhere between 2nd-8th. Realistically anywhere below 6th would be a dissapointing year.

GO HAWKERS!!!!!!
post #7 of 207 (permalink) Old March 14th, 2001, 11:43
International

Teams: Manchested United
Hey guys, well george im a MAGPIES FAN...

I cant be bothered doing a report on them cos ive got one hand available as the other hand is somewhat.... BUSY!!

Pies should finish anywhere between 7 and 13.... to make the finals would be a MASSIVE achievement, below 13 would be a dissapoitment, somewhere around 10 is likely

do u guys think it is fair to say that AFL is perhaps the best spectator Sport around?? I believe so.... it has everything... as well as tennis it is a very good sport to watch..

Narny/Beechy - Love talking, listening to opinions and sharing this great game we call football.
post #8 of 207 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2001, 01:06
Rising Star

Spot on Beechy, there is no better sport to watch IN THE WORLD!

BTW, you are one sick sick fella.
post #9 of 207 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2001, 00:49 Thread Starter
Star Player
Star Player

Couldnt agree more guys, just flat out entertaining, you know one of the things I love most abt it?? Its the incredible fitness of footballers, they actually finish the game running harder than 2 hrs earlier!!!!! I reckon they are amongst the fittest and strongest athletes in the world no doubt abt it.

Baggio that was a perfect post on Hawthorn. Its exactly the way I see them, with just a lack of depth in the running department, that Johnoson is that blondie right? b/c I saw him play and he looked like hed been playing for 10+ years.

ok NORTH MELBOURNE KANGAROOS
By their incredibly lofty standards last season was a huge dissapointment for quite clearly the team of the 90's. It was acknowledged they were perhaps getting a bit stale so they traded off quite a few players in order to bring in youth, something this team HASNT done in over 5 years! Hewitt (a rising star IMO) Capuano, and Martin Pike were all traded for draft picks, not to mention their most consistent performer midfielder Peter Bell for draft picks and a great young player, that surfie dude I cant recall his damn name, sinclair thats right. Ordinarily id say their air of invincibility will continue to decline BUT this team is in dire straits financially and when the ROOS have their backs to the wall they are lethal!

With players Like King Carey, King, Harvey, McKernan, Archer, Pickett and Martyn they have a deadly unit. Not to mention the surprise pick up of Saverio Rocca who incidently has lost close to 2 stone! and is looking cherry ripe for the opener. Shannon grant, Abraham can turn a game, and remember one of the most talented utilities Colbert has had an injury free year and could this season become a real weapon.

PREDICTION: This team looks thinner than in the past, but they have one of the most shrewd coaches and if a few things fall their way, ie Rocca kicking 60+ goals, they can be the team to challenge Essendon. Right up there
post #10 of 207 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2001, 03:38
Rising Star

Yep Johnson is the blondie, he wore number 28 last year but now he has number 8. He's got a huge future!
post #11 of 207 (permalink) Old March 18th, 2001, 00:27
Premier Player

tigerTUFF, are we going to have a little tipping comp here?

..and where is your profile on Richmond? I would have thought that you would do your beloved Tiges first!

GO HAWKS!!!!
post #12 of 207 (permalink) Old March 18th, 2001, 01:39 Thread Starter
Star Player
Star Player

4 sure we'll do a timpin comp. how can we have a footy season without a tipping comp ......as for the tigers i wanna save the best till last hehehe, actually I was gonna do it in alphabetical order but i forgot when I did North Melbourne hehe

Port won the Ansett Cup last night pumping Brisbane by 85 points. The game was decided in the second quarter when the power slammed on 8 goals to nil to effectively put the game out of Brisbanes reach. Pretty impressive stuff by Dew.

STKILDA:
Have done the most player trades of any club in the off-season and why not?they were the whipping boys of the comp last season and not only needed a new team but also a new coach. They have arguably one of the best coaches going around and picked up some handy players like Hamill, Gherig, brett Voss, Capuano not to mention the first 2 draft picks in the National Draft. Whilst none of those players are world beaters, they add a lot to Stkildas playing stock, which apart from 4 or 5 champs is very very thin. Harvey, Bourke, Everitt, Loewe and Hamill if well supported by the likes of Hall, Gherig, Voss, Capuano in the ruck, and a few of their young ones that showed a bit last year can definitely improve.

PREDICTION: Wont improve that much, I still reckon they'll finish bottom 4 or 5 and wont realistically challenge for the eight. Over-rated, overhyped, I cant wait till they get hammered a few times.
post #13 of 207 (permalink) Old March 18th, 2001, 23:37
International

Teams: Manchested United
Why thankyou Baggio for those kind words

If only you knew the truth

Tiger are you going to run the comp?

Narny/Beechy - Love talking, listening to opinions and sharing this great game we call football.
post #14 of 207 (permalink) Old March 19th, 2001, 12:06
Premier Player

Ansett Cup.....nothing competition, big deal who won it (i only say that coz the Hawks didnt make it )

tigerTUFF, if ya need a hand with the tippin comp, just yell out dude.
post #15 of 207 (permalink) Old March 20th, 2001, 09:03
International

Bombers :

The greatest team ever.
And they will get better from that 3 match slump.
They have the best list in the game with a great players in every part of the field.

Fletcher, Solomon, Hardwick, Misiti, Blumfield, Long, MERCURI, Long, Ramanuskas, Barnard, Lloyd, Hird, Barnes and etc.
post #16 of 207 (permalink) Old March 20th, 2001, 11:16
hah00

I'm a Port Adelaide fan. I'm naturally delighted how we won the Ansett, but I have a horrible feeling that we've wasted all our good games for the season before it's even started...
post #17 of 207 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2001, 09:11
International

Too bad !
post #18 of 207 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2001, 11:24 Thread Starter
Star Player
Star Player

Hey another Port fan, theres one in the Greek forum too
RICHMOND

What can I say? Do I expect us to make the finals? Hell, if the finals system was changed to introduce a new final'16' fate would still find a way of making us miss!
Our list looks very good, very deep (but we lack star players) and after last years ridiculous run of injuries a lot of questions (mainly all good) were answered by our youngins. Baggio hows this for a goal to goal line to go against one of the best spines........Kellaway, Gaspar, Knights, Richo, Ottens, ok Kellaway doesnt play full back but he along with Gas get the 2 top attackers every week.

Im trying to be unbiased Dragecevic will come on even more and Aaron Fiora will show this season why he was last seasons number3 draft pick. Hilton, Bowden, Chaffey, Rogers, King, Dunc Kellaway, Torney, Cameron are all capable of supporting Cambell Knights and Daffy in the midfield, actually most of those guys are better than that fatty daffy.

Andrew Mills will surprise a lot of people this year, last year in his 1st season he was a ready made senior player and was doing great for us as a medium forward until rnd 8 when he broke his damn wrist. I must add that IMO we have a great coach who is perfect for us, but theres no denying this year is a crunch year for the club and him, especially when you take into account our fickle past with underperformance.

PREDICTION:
Anywhere between 6th and 10th, I rate us in the same boat as Geelong, Hawthorn, Port Power, Sydney. It depends on injuries, and a bit of luck. On the other hand Dermie reckons last season we played on a bit of emotion being pumped up, and that this year could be a let down. Fair point.
post #19 of 207 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2001, 17:05
Premier Player

Round 1 - Bring it on !!!!!!!

Kangaroos v Essendon
Hawthorn v Collingwood
Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda
Fremantle v Carlton
Port Adelaide v Brisbane
Geelong v West Coast
Sydney v Adelaide
Melbourne v Richmond

My tips......

Essendon - 35 pts
Hawthorn - 69 pts
Doggies - 15 pts
Caaaarlton - 28 pts
Port - 13 pts
Sydney - 44 pts
Richmond - 5 pts

My ladder prediction....

1. Essendon
2. Brisbane
3. Kangaroos
4. Hawthorn
5. Melbourne
6. Carlton
7. Sydney
8. Richmond
9. Geelong
10. Western Bulldogs
11. Port Adelaide
12. Collingwood
13. St.Kilda
14. Adelaide
15. West Coast
16. Fremantle
post #20 of 207 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2001, 00:18 Thread Starter
Star Player
Star Player

Thanks mate

Geelong v WCE?

my tips:
Essendon by 13 pts
Hawthorn by 37 pts
Bulldogs by 27 pts
Carlton by 39 pts
Port by 24 pts
Geelong by 78 pts
Sydney by 11 pts
Richmond by 18 pts

My Ladder:

Essendon
Carlton
Bulldogs
Brisbane
Geelong
Nth Mlbourne
Hawthorn
Melbourne

Richmond
Sydney
Port Power (cant win in Melb)
Stkilda
Adelaide
Fremantle
West Coast Eagles
Collingwood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in