The Ashes - Xtratime Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2006, 13:46 Thread Starter
Star Player
 
BillyBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2005
Location: Melbourne
Teams: Liverpool FC
Posts: 4,582
The Ashes

Can't.****ing.wait




Discuss
BillyBob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2006, 17:58
World Class Player
 
MacoBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2004
Teams: Inter Milan, Macedonia NT
Posts: 8,892
5-0.
MacoBoy is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2006, 11:55
Jdz
Rising Star
 
Jdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2005
Location: Perth, WA
Teams: Perth Glory & Australia.
Posts: 299
5-0 and KP is a fag.

Jdz is offline  
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2006, 12:15
Legend
 
Redhat Pellegrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Teams: Real Madrid
Posts: 11,267
5-0 i cant envisage any other possible triumph.

"A problem in my heart compels me to retire but my heart is still beating Real Madrid"

Ruben De la Red

Redhat Pellegrini is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2006, 04:53
Legend
 
Adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2001
Location: Perth, Australia
Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
Posts: 15,555
That's what they all said last year
Adriano is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old October 15th, 2006, 16:37
Legend
 
Redhat Pellegrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Teams: Real Madrid
Posts: 11,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano
That's what they all said last year
yeah but im trying to picture how they could possibly beat us anywhere in australia and i just cant. i know we'll lose one test but i think sydney, melbourne and brisbane are pretty much wrapped up.

yeah i know, watch the overconfidence bite us in the ass come december

"A problem in my heart compels me to retire but my heart is still beating Real Madrid"

Ruben De la Red

Redhat Pellegrini is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2006, 14:48 Thread Starter
Star Player
 
BillyBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2005
Location: Melbourne
Teams: Liverpool FC
Posts: 4,582
The only reason we lost last year was because of that pointless World XI tour
BillyBob is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2006, 14:26
Legend
 
Adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2001
Location: Perth, Australia
Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
Posts: 15,555
That was well after the Ashes, what did that have anything to do with it?
Adriano is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2006, 15:26 Thread Starter
Star Player
 
BillyBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2005
Location: Melbourne
Teams: Liverpool FC
Posts: 4,582
The Cricket Board decided on playing in the World XI matches instead of organising a real tour for us in the months leading up to the ashes.
BillyBob is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2006, 15:50
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
Premier Player
 
Pepinovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2005
Location: Melbourne
Teams: The mighty Belgian NT
Posts: 2,465
BillyBob, I challenge you to get me interested into cricket .

For starters, I don't know the rules. Every time someone started to explain them I lost interest halfway or earlier.

I also think it's very boring. However, as a cycling fan, I am aware that sports that look very boring can actually be very entertaining .

And third, I believe the only reason cricket is popular in Australia is because you beat other countries in it. You make it look as if it's a big deal beating England and 3rd world countries like Pakistan, Zimbabwe or New Zealand and then praise yourselves as the world's best. I just wonder, do Australians really think India is a fair competitor when they, with their population of over a billion, can't manage to beat our 20 mil?

I hope you can help me

Δεν ελπίζω τίποτε. Δεν φοβάμαι τίποτε. Είμαι λεύτερος.

Justice is judgement that is both fair and forgiving. Justice is not done until everyone is satisfied, even those who offend us. Justice is not only the way we punish those who do wrong but is also the way we try to save them.
Pepinovic is offline  
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 06:59
Legend
 
Adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2001
Location: Perth, Australia
Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
Posts: 15,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepinovic
However, as a cycling fan, I am aware that sports that look very boring can actually be very entertaining .

Looks like you'll have to find another sport mate with the way it's looking for cycling
Adriano is offline  
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 07:20
Thought Criminal
Legend
 
Ćevapčići kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2005
Teams: Croatia
Posts: 14,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepinovic
BillyBob, I challenge you to get me interested into cricket .

For starters, I don't know the rules. Every time someone started to explain them I lost interest halfway or earlier.

I also think it's very boring. However, as a cycling fan, I am aware that sports that look very boring can actually be very entertaining .

And third, I believe the only reason cricket is popular in Australia is because you beat other countries in it. You make it look as if it's a big deal beating England and 3rd world countries like Pakistan, Zimbabwe or New Zealand and then praise yourselves as the world's best. I just wonder, do Australians really think India is a fair competitor when they, with their population of over a billion, can't manage to beat our 20 mil?

I hope you can help me
Dont worry Pep, it is shit.

I hate cricket, i can watch it, i know the rules, but its just shit.

Ćevapčići kid is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2006, 15:07 Thread Starter
Star Player
 
BillyBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2005
Location: Melbourne
Teams: Liverpool FC
Posts: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepinovic
BillyBob, I challenge you to get me interested into cricket .

For starters, I don't know the rules. Every time someone started to explain them I lost interest halfway or earlier.

I also think it's very boring. However, as a cycling fan, I am aware that sports that look very boring can actually be very entertaining .

And third, I believe the only reason cricket is popular in Australia is because you beat other countries in it. You make it look as if it's a big deal beating England and 3rd world countries like Pakistan, Zimbabwe or New Zealand and then praise yourselves as the world's best. I just wonder, do Australians really think India is a fair competitor when they, with their population of over a billion, can't manage to beat our 20 mil?

I hope you can help me
It might take a while to be honest, but just give it time. Don't sit in front of the tv when watching it, meet up with a few friends to watch it on a nice day, bbq or whatever, and make sure at least one person knows what's going on, then run to the tv when something good happens. Or better yet get down to a game, it's a great way to spend a day in the sun with friends.

As for it being popular because we're the best, that's not true at all. Over the past few years interest in the game (looking at crowd figures anyway) was at an all-time low because we were just too good for anyone, it became boring. Whereas now that we've actually been beaten by the Poms tickets are selling like hotcakes, they might actually fill the MCG for all 5 days of the Boxing Day Test.

INdia does have a massive population but only people from the highest caste (spelling?) are allowed to play for them, otherwise they would probably be the best by far.

I guess it would be hard to get used to, if i came from overseas i'd probably hate it. But there's just so much history, and don't forget that many of Italy and Brazil's top Football clubs started off as cricket clubs (including AC Milan) .
BillyBob is offline  
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old October 23rd, 2006, 13:35
Legend
 
Adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2001
Location: Perth, Australia
Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
Posts: 15,555
New column from Dennis Lillee voice his concerns for Australia's Dad's Army top order line-up. Anything Lillee writes is worth listening to but it is true that could be an issue.
Adriano is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old November 4th, 2006, 15:07
International
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Posts: 5,926
5-0

England came into that series at home last year in white-hot form, while we were absolutely shithouse (Katich? Where was Mike Hussey?) and still only just lost it.

There's no way they will come here and trouble us - provided McGrath doesn't step on a cricket ball while playing touch footy before the Second Test, I mean.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."


- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
dyertribe is offline  
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old November 4th, 2006, 16:27 Thread Starter
Star Player
 
BillyBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2005
Location: Melbourne
Teams: Liverpool FC
Posts: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyertribe
England came into that series at home last year in white-hot form, while we were absolutely shithouse (Katich? Where was Mike Hussey?) and still only just lost it.
Too true
BillyBob is offline  
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2006, 02:43
Star Player
Star Player
 
tigerTUFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2000
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
Posts: 4,703
we will tear em a new one this summer, this will be a farwell series for several of our players
tigerTUFF is offline  
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2006, 00:36 Thread Starter
Star Player
 
BillyBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2005
Location: Melbourne
Teams: Liverpool FC
Posts: 4,582
McGrath is incredible
BillyBob is offline  
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2006, 06:47
International
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Posts: 5,926
Well, late on the second day of the Fourth Test we have a 206 run first innings lead with 3 wickets in hand - after previously taking the Ashes back with 3 wins out of 3 to date.

The English? Pathetic.

No MBEs or open-top bus rides this time I'm afraid. Hopeless, clueless, spineless performance. Just bad enough for us to build a time machine and go back to 2005 and steal the Ashes back that time too. Embarrassing performance.

Haven't seen a 'Dad's Army' comment from Botham in awhile - the tool.

Oh and supercoach "GIVE HIM A CITIZENSHIP" Fletcher? What a genius. Playing Giles over Panesar and Jones over Read in the first two/three tests. Masterstroke.

Standby for another 16 years of Australian Ashes dominance.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."


- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
dyertribe is offline  
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2006, 06:49
World Class Player
 
MacoBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2004
Teams: Inter Milan, Macedonia NT
Posts: 8,892
Indeed.
MacoBoy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome