Australia V Ireland - Xtratime Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2004, 05:59 Thread Starter
Star Player
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Posts: 3,409
Australia V Ireland

I like the game well the aspects of the soccer in it.

I think australia only has 7 of the all australian team coz the rest werent available so alot debutants.

GO AUSTRALIA
Terak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2004, 08:46
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 10 2004
Posts: 334
Aussie's gonna win
Aussie Aussie oi oi oi
xavipower is offline  
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2004, 10:10
CUG
Legend
 
CUG's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2000
Location: Melbourne Australia
Teams: Juventus
Posts: 17,028
yeah, teams not as great as it could be. but then again, it never has been i think.

i think ireland will win it over there...IMO the australian team could be 3 times stronger.
CUG is offline  
 
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2004, 02:44 Thread Starter
Star Player
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Posts: 3,409
i think my local soccer club would have put up more of challenge

Mal Micheal sucked as goalkeeper
he was lost the only thing he did right was take the ball out of the back of the net 3 times.


Australia faces a massive task at retaining the Cormack McNallen Trophy after suffering a 36-point belting from Ireland in the opening Coca Cola International Rules clash at Croke Park on Sunday.

The visitors will have to win by at least the same margin next Sunday back at Croke Park to keep their hold on the title, but it will take a massive injection of pace and skill in the next seven days to do so, because they were the areas in which Garry Lyon's men were deficient against a resolute and determined Ireland, which prevailed 77-41.

The Australians went into the game with injured players and were further hamstrung with a broken collarbone suffered by Sydney midfielder Jared Crouch, after laying a crunching tackle on Irish star Dessie Dolan.



The tradition in these games is for the Irish to make a fast start and there was no exception on this occasion with some brilliant forward play by the home team and some deplorable field kicking helping the home team to a commanding 30-point lead at half-time.

Stephen McDonald and Mattie Forde contributed each scored a goal in the first half, evergreen Dolan slotted three overs, while Brendan Coulter added two.

At the other end, Australian forward Nick Riewoldt struggled to make an impact, as did Brad Green. But really, the forwards had ample cause for complaint with some poor disposal in the midfield meaning they were starved for opportunities.

It also caused major problems down back with Australian goalkeeper Mal Michael under siege, with the speedy Irish players swarming forward in numbers every time the ball spilled their way.

Australia also appeared slow and wasn't able to use its major advantage its tackling to any great effect because it was consistently second to the ball.

Midfielder Luke Ball was one of Australia's best until half-time and scored one over, as did Adam McPhee and Nathan Brown.

Brown snapped a clever left-foot goal to open the third term for Australia and indeed, the first five minutes of that quarter saw Australia at its best hard running through the midfield and dangerous close to goal. But Sean Cavanagh scored an over against the run of play and Coulter missed a sitter on the run, meaning the match was again being played on Ireland's terms.

And when skipper Padraig Joyce scored a goal at the 13-minute mark, Ireland again led by 26 points and was in complete control.

The last quarter was about even, with the home team doing enough to keep their huge lead and set up what could well be a joyous time next Sunday at Croke Park.

Apart from Brown, who kicked a goal and three overs, skipper James Hird, Nick Dal Santo and Jason Johnson were among Australia's better players.
Terak is offline  
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2004, 04:46
Star Player
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Posts: 4,805
A hybrid sport?

What a lot of shit. Its 98% galic football.
South_Melbourne is offline  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2004, 06:56
International
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Posts: 5,926
Can we bring back Origin, please?

Remember the whole reason for scrapping Origin was because clubs and players (except for South Australia) weren't taking it seriously. IR was supposed to give players the chance to represent their country on a whole new level, while potentially spreading the gospel of Aussie Rules internationally.

In 2004, we have what, three All-Australians in the team because just like in the Origin days, the superstars have niggles, injuries and other personal commitments (Tredrea is marrying, Ricciuto is in Nepal) they'd rather attend to during the break. Guys like Brady Rawlings, Mark McVeigh, Andrew Embley, Brad Green, Joel Corey... all decent players, but come on. I could name 50 other players you'd have in an Aussie Rules side before them, let alone IR.

Then there's the actual game of IR itself.

We get what, behind posts, tackling and the mark. They get their field, their ball, their tactics and their soccer-esque goal system - which is absurdly foreign to us. Steven Silvagni and to a lesser extent, Glen Jakovich, did a tremendous job between the sticks in the past - but FFS - Simon Goodwin and Mal Michael have looked like Hills Hoists with no idea.

It's been a novelty, it's been interesting, but if we're not going to get our best possible side on the park and get some more concessions - would it hurt the Irish to try our ball? It worked for Stynes, Wight, Kennelly, et al - then there's just no point anymore.

Either bring back Origin in its place or kill the concept off altogether.
dyertribe is offline  
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2004, 07:24 Thread Starter
Star Player
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Posts: 3,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyertribe
Steven Silvagni and to a lesser extent, Glen Jakovich, did a tremendous job between the sticks in the past - but FFS - Simon Goodwin and Mal Michael have looked like Hills Hoists with no idea.
LOL LOL HILLS HOIST!!!!

mal micheal was so lost
Terak is offline  
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2004, 07:27
Xtratime Legend
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Posts: 25,902
I'd like to know if they even gave Michael any proper Goalkeeping coaching and training because it sure as hell looked like he didn't have any. Honestly did they think of getting someone from South Melbourne in or whatever to give him some training?
Onree is offline  
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2004, 08:41
International
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Posts: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terak
mal micheal was so lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by khimik
I'd like to know if they even gave Michael any proper Goalkeeping coaching and training because it sure as hell looked like he didn't have any.
Wasn't just his clear lack of training or goalkeeping ability, he simply looked disinterested, like he'd rather be sipping on a Crownie or 8 in a Gold Coast nightclub.
dyertribe is offline  
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2004, 11:38
Star Player
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Posts: 4,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyertribe
Can we bring back Origin, please?

Remember the whole reason for scrapping Origin was because clubs and players (except for South Australia) weren't taking it seriously. IR was supposed to give players the chance to represent their country on a whole new level, while potentially spreading the gospel of Aussie Rules internationally.

In 2004, we have what, three All-Australians in the team because just like in the Origin days, the superstars have niggles, injuries and other personal commitments (Tredrea is marrying, Ricciuto is in Nepal) they'd rather attend to during the break. Guys like Brady Rawlings, Mark McVeigh, Andrew Embley, Brad Green, Joel Corey... all decent players, but come on. I could name 50 other players you'd have in an Aussie Rules side before them, let alone IR.

Then there's the actual game of IR itself.

We get what, behind posts, tackling and the mark. They get their field, their ball, their tactics and their soccer-esque goal system - which is absurdly foreign to us. Steven Silvagni and to a lesser extent, Glen Jakovich, did a tremendous job between the sticks in the past - but FFS - Simon Goodwin and Mal Michael have looked like Hills Hoists with no idea.

It's been a novelty, it's been interesting, but if we're not going to get our best possible side on the park and get some more concessions - would it hurt the Irish to try our ball? It worked for Stynes, Wight, Kennelly, et al - then there's just no point anymore.

Either bring back Origin in its place or kill the concept off altogether.
Well done mate. I miss State of Orgin. Id love to have it back over bloody IR. They get the round ball, which is 90%+ of the game

Yes we can takle but its a joke. Between hips and midrift... netball rules.
South_Melbourne is offline  
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2004, 15:28
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Posts: 526


Good craic after the game with all the aussies over here, swapping jerseys, singing, getting drunk.

Great craic
Paul Le Gone-BohsCelt is offline  
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old October 21st, 2004, 03:30
International
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Posts: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian Celtic


Good craic after the game with all the aussies over here, swapping jerseys, singing, getting drunk.

Great craic
Nothing that couldn't be accomplished on a standard end of season trip
dyertribe is offline  
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old October 24th, 2004, 16:24
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Posts: 526
IRELAND 54-41 AUSTRALIA

Overall Score

Ireland 132-82 Australia

Paul Le Gone-BohsCelt is offline  
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old October 24th, 2004, 23:24
Premier Player
 
RobbieKeane's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Ireland
Teams: Liverpool, Ireland
Posts: 1,384
Was out in Galway last monday and met the aussie team in the nite club, great fun with the lot a them. The Big Dipper is ****ing massive!!! and Brown is deadly sound!!! Great footballer too!!
First test the aussies hadn't trained there was problems with hotels and shit....but the second test was much better good football. McDonald showed some serious skill pitty hes such a wan* stain. No doubting it though savage footballer.
Marty Forde was class, Dolan, Joyce, Kenelly and Lockard were as ever briliant.
The Kerry players were crap!!! Brosnan is a big pile of tallentless poo....mayo really fecked up the all-ireland totally froze.
Where was cooper and mcGeeney?????????
Have to sort out that ball though really unfair, apart from that is fair comromise, the tackle favours the aussies but ireland seemed to sort that out this year.

Sporadic Xtratime user and bad speller
RobbieKeane is offline  
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old October 24th, 2004, 23:25
Premier Player
 
RobbieKeane's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Ireland
Teams: Liverpool, Ireland
Posts: 1,384
ps it ditting that ireland should win the first Cormac McAnallen cup
RIP

Sporadic Xtratime user and bad speller
RobbieKeane is offline  
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2004, 01:47
Star Player
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Posts: 4,805
Boys - is a shit sport.

Its 95% your rules. Why dont we play 1 'test' with a galic football and one with a australian rules football?
South_Melbourne is offline  
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2004, 10:29
Star Player
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Posts: 3,277
saw a bit of it, and i have to say,
what's up with the dog running round the field chasing the ball, i mean they didn't even make an attemp to catch it :dielaugh:
Alarich is offline  
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2004, 10:59
Star Player
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Posts: 4,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarich
saw a bit of it, and i have to say,
what's up with the dog running round the field chasing the ball, i mean they didn't even make an attemp to catch it :dielaugh:
The 2nd funniest part of the game was the Irish commentator -

"Nathen Brown may come to Ireland to play Galic Football"
South_Melbourne is offline  
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2004, 11:00
Xtratime Legend
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Posts: 25,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarich
saw a bit of it, and i have to say,
what's up with the dog running round the field chasing the ball, i mean they didn't even make an attemp to catch it :dielaugh:
I seriously can't believe they would allow a dog inside a Stadium like that.
Onree is offline  
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2004, 11:02
Star Player
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Posts: 4,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by khimik
I seriously can't believe they would allow a dog inside a Stadium like that.
dont u remember the 'plugger' dog? or was it a pig?

South_Melbourne is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome