The final series - Xtratime Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2004, 11:43 Thread Starter
Star Player
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Posts: 3,409
The final series

FIRST QUALIFYING FINAL:
Port Adelaide (first) v Geelong (fourth) - Sunday Sep 5 at AAMI Stadium at 2pm (CST).

SECOND QUALIFYING FINAL:
Brisbane Lions (second) v St Kilda (third) - Friday Sep 3 at Gabba, at 7.30pm.

FIRST ELIMINATION FINAL:
Melbourne (fifth) v Essendon (eighth) - Saturday Sep 4 at MCG, at 2.30pm.

SECOND ELIMINATION FINAL:
Sydney (sixth) v West Coast Eagles (seventh) - Saturday Sep 4 at Telstra Stadium at 7.30pm.

I think this is how it will go! P.A, Brisbane, Essesdon(melbourne poor form) and west coast eagles (strong run 8 out of 9 games won and strong form)
Terak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2004, 07:47
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 03 2001
Posts: 432
My thoughts:

Lucky Essendon, avoided travelling interstate, Melb being the weak link will lose easily, proberbly Essendon will be playing in Melb again in the 2nd week of the semis - very lucky team - like I said before, they cannot hide to many times in the semis.

Sydney and West Coast will be the best game in the first week of the semis, I got our tickets.
I reckon Sydney will win - this one will go down to the last few minutes - Brisbane will love seeing one of these teams being eliminated.

Port should shake off Sept hoodoo and beat Geelong - but not by much.
If Geelong goes in hard and I mean really hard at the ball, they just might
surprise Port.
I cannot believe a side can win the minor premership three years straight and cannot get into any of the Grand Finals.

Brisbane will flog St Kilda by 8-10 goals.
7159 is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2004, 14:15
Legend
 
Adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2001
Location: Perth, Australia
Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
Posts: 15,555
The winners will probably be:

Brisbane
Melbourne
Sydney
Geelong

Was King Italy..
Adriano is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2004, 20:07
Star Player
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Posts: 3,277
my picks:
port power
the saints
melbourne
& west coast
Alarich is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2004, 14:59
Legend
 
Adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2001
Location: Perth, Australia
Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
Posts: 15,555
Well no surprises in the Friday night game but somehow Essendon manage to bribe their way to another finals win. Wet Scrotes not good enough for Sydney.

Was King Italy..
Adriano is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2004, 16:59 Thread Starter
Star Player
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Posts: 3,409
disappointing!
Terak is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 10:38
Premier Player
 
Mart's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2002
Location: Croydonia
Teams: Crystal Palace, Sampdoria
Posts: 2,209
Sounded like Port destroyed Geelong in the 2nd qtr today Cats really need a dominant forward to kick on next year. Still, got a chance against the Bombers as the game's in Melbourne
Mart is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 14:16
Star Player
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Posts: 4,805
Eagles are shit.

It was Judd vs Sydney.
South_Melbourne is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 14:17
Star Player
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Posts: 4,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleMart
Sounded like Port destroyed Geelong in the 2nd qtr today Cats really need a dominant forward to kick on next year. Still, got a chance against the Bombers as the game's in Melbourne
They neally got Jono Brown.

Imagion that? They be awsome.
South_Melbourne is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 15:52
International
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Posts: 5,926
Port were electric today.

Make no mistake about it, they made Geelong look second rate in every facet of the game.

*In ruck Brogan and Lade in tandem destroyed King and Mooney.
*Tredrea pantsed Scarlett.
*Pickett, Wilson, James and Kane Cornes ran the midfield with impunity, while Bishop, Wakelin and Chad Cornes were outstanding in negating Kingsley and Graham up the other end.

If Brisbane do defeat Geelong/Essendon in Melbourne in a fortnight's time, I struggle to see how they can overcome this rampant Power side, especially if they are forced to do so without Charman, Lynch, Brown and White.
dyertribe is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 16:09
Star Player
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Posts: 4,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyertribe
Port were electric today.

Make no mistake about it, they made Geelong look second rate in every facet of the game.

*In ruck Brogan and Lade in tandem destroyed King and Mooney.
*Tredrea pantsed Scarlett.
*Pickett, Wilson, James and Kane Cornes ran the midfield with impunity, while Bishop, Wakelin and Chad Cornes were outstanding in negating Kingsley and Graham up the other end.

If Brisbane do defeat Geelong/Essendon in Melbourne in a fortnight's time, I struggle to see how they can overcome this rampant Power side, especially if they are forced to do so without Charman, Lynch, Brown and White.
SCarlett wasnt pantsed by Trderea.

Port did look good but Lions are a awsome side. Better than Port.
South_Melbourne is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 16:49
International
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Posts: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by South_Melbourne
SCarlett wasnt pantsed by Trderea.
Tredrea:

17 disposals (13 kicks, 4 handballs)
7 marks
3 tackles
2 goals
2 goal assists

Scarlett:

9 disposals (5 kicks, 4 handballs)
3 marks
0 tackles

Apart from the statistical evidence (see above) I actually went to the game and Tredrea ran Scarlett around like a dog on a long leash. Not only did Warren get plenty of the ball himself, he also prevented Scarlett from getting away with his usual trademark dash from the back 50 which so ignites Geelong's play on the rebound.

So if Scarlett wasn't pantsed by Tredrea, what would you call it?
dyertribe is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2004, 00:38
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 03 2001
Posts: 432
Brisane are ripped off - however, I don't think Geelong or Essendon will push the Lions at the MCG.

Port - I reckon if Saints win this weekend then Port will beat them by over 10 goals and if Sydney wins this weekend, Port will have a much harder battle but eventually Port will win.

Brisbane v Port Grand Final - and I will win $430.

Oh - Brisbane will win its 4th straight title - more importantly Port will come out much hungrier in the following year.
7159 is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2004, 04:44
International
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Posts: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7159
Brisane are ripped off - however, I don't think Geelong or Essendon will push the Lions at the MCG.
Brisbane become the first interstate side to be screwed out of a home Prelim Final because of the archaic MCG contract, this much is true. However, it must be remembered that had Port Adelaide not lost to Collingwood and Sydney in those infamous Qualifying Finals in 2002 and 2003 they would have suffered an identical fate in the previous couple of seasons - this raw deal has been long overdue.

Just as an aside, West Coast lost the right to host a Semi Final to a thoroughly undeserving Carlton in 1999 and Adelaide lost the right to host Melbourne in 2002 under the same circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7159
Oh - Brisbane will win its 4th straight title - more importantly Port will come out much hungrier in the following year.
Personally I believe Port Adelaide to have all the tools to face a fullstrength Lions on the neutral MCG, let alone one that may be without Lynch, Brown, Charman, Keating and White.

There is a reason Port have been Minor Premiers for each of the past three years - and this time Brisbane won't be running into a mediocre Collingwood side punching well above its weight when the time comes.

We shall see...
dyertribe is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2004, 06:35
Star Player
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Posts: 4,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyertribe
Tredrea:

17 disposals (13 kicks, 4 handballs)
7 marks
3 tackles
2 goals
2 goal assists

Scarlett:

9 disposals (5 kicks, 4 handballs)
3 marks
0 tackles

Apart from the statistical evidence (see above) I actually went to the game and Tredrea ran Scarlett around like a dog on a long leash. Not only did Warren get plenty of the ball himself, he also prevented Scarlett from getting away with his usual trademark dash from the back 50 which so ignites Geelong's play on the rebound.

So if Scarlett wasn't pantsed by Tredrea, what would you call it?
Tredrea had little effect on the match. He was 5th/6th forward option on the day.
South_Melbourne is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2004, 06:37
Star Player
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Posts: 4,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyertribe
Personally I believe Port Adelaide to have all the tools to face a fullstrength Lions on the neutral MCG, let alone one that may be without Lynch, Brown, Charman, Keating and White.

There is a reason Port have been Minor Premiers for each of the past three years - and this time Brisbane won't be running into a mediocre Collingwood side punching well above its weight when the time comes.

We shall see...
Lions are a far better side than Port.

One of the best sides ever.
South_Melbourne is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2004, 08:02 Thread Starter
Star Player
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Posts: 3,409
Lions will win 4 in a row.. The only thing that will stop them if Brown gets suspended and lynch wont be back for the grand final. If they have 1 of the 2 they will win.
Terak is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2004, 08:47
International
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Posts: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by South_Melbourne
Tredrea had little effect on the match. He was 5th/6th forward option on the day.
Ah and why was that?

Tredrea regularly took Scarlett out of the back 50 and ran him around as far as the wing. Thus with the All-Australian fullback well out of his habitat, Brendan Lade (4 goals), Stewart Dew (3 goals) and Josh Mahoney (3 goals) were free to run riot in the forward 50 and shine.

So not only did Tredrea make Scarlett a non-factor for the benefit of team-mates, he also managed to rack up 17 disposals, 7 marks, 2 goals and 2 goal assists of his own.

Meanwhile Scarlett only touched the ball 9 times and gathered a measley 3 marks himself, and was unable to give Geelong his usual running playmaking contribution while chasing Tredrea all over the ground.

Tactically the decoy plan worked perfectly, as for the greater good of the Port Adelaide forward line and in the one on one duel Tredrea absolutely outplayed him.

Can you not see that?
dyertribe is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2004, 08:52
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 03 2001
Posts: 432
Dyertribe - a bit harsh on the Magpies , if you thought they were ordinary, then what does it say for the rest of the 14 teams - cannot agree.
I actually enjoyed the 2002 GF - Collingwood were the best team to meet Brisbane and served it up to them - just experience of Brisbane got them home.

2004 - Port is now beyond the semi final phase and ready to challange Brisbane, however winning the big one is going to be tough for Port.
I think Sydney could spoil Port's chances if they can get through Saints.

DYERTRIBE - I SAID SYDNEY "COULD" beat Port, at least Sydney will have a better chance than Saints.
7159 is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2004, 05:47
International
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Posts: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7159
Dyertribe - a bit harsh on the Magpies , if you thought they were ordinary, then what does it say for the rest of the 14 teams - cannot agree.
I actually enjoyed the 2002 GF - Collingwood were the best team to meet Brisbane and served it up to them - just experience of Brisbane got them home.
Brisbane, Port and Adelaide were the three clearly superior sides that year.

I thought Collingwood were an ordinary side in 2002 - they finished 4th and played a perfect match to beat Port Adelaide by two goals at AAMI in the Qualifying Final. Port then beat Essendon before being handed mission impossible up at the Gabba.

Adelaide were stiffed and got hammered at the Gabba before having to play Melbourne away from home the week after thanks to the MCG contract. By the time they got through to the Prelim against a Collingwood side with a 2-week break and at home they were stuffed and got overrun in the second half, with Edwards and McLeod both getting injured well before the final siren.

Collingwood played a great grand final no doubt, but the conditions evened things up markedly - you say that the Pies were the best team to meet the Lions, I have to disagree - both Port Adelaide and Adelaide had defeated the Lions earlier in the season and would have been the better matchup, but its all theory.

The 2003 GF and season 2004 showed the real Collingwood up in my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7159
2004 - Port is now beyond the semi final phase and ready to challange Brisbane, however winning the big one is going to be tough for Port.
I think Sydney could spoil Port's chances if they can get through Saints.
Port has been ready to challenge Brisbane in each of the past three seasons. The ledger since 2002 stands at 2 wins to Port (one at AAMI, one at Gabba), 4 to Brisbane - with the majority of those games played in Brisbane.

On neutral territory Port are every chance to take on and beat Brisbane as I've said.

And I agree with you, the Swans are the biggest danger to the Power in the Prelim, considering Port always have trouble with gritty sides such as the Swans and the Kangaroos.

As I said, we shall see...
dyertribe is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome