How good are Brisbane... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2004, 15:37 Thread Starter
Star Player

How good are Brisbane...

I honestly consiter the Lions as equal to any side in AFL/VFL history, regardless of how the finsh this year.

They are just fantasitc - class in every line. People 2/4 years ago were asking how good Essendon was, possbily one of the best ever sides. I hate them and always consitered them overrated crap. Not a great side.

Lions on the other hand are just amazing. Watching them play is a wonderful experence. The are the truly elite of the game. The play football neally as well as it can be played. 21 goals in a 1/2 of football vs the Crows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2004, 06:29
Star Player

They are good every one else is just crap.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2004, 07:04
CUG
Legend

Teams: Juventus
Regardless of the salary cap issues, this group of players have formed a team under Leigh which competes with every great side in history.

But it has to be said that currently, and maybe even over the past 2 seasons, they havent had a lot of competition. Besides Port, who have never competed against them in the final series, there hasnt been a good team.

at least in the 90's there were 4 or 5 quality teams for the premiership to compete against.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2004, 15:47 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terak
They are good every one else is just crap.
Do you understand the sport at all?

Port, - as always are very good.

Saints - have an amazing young list. THey could dominate football for 6-8 years. Thy have so much potential. winning 10 games stright makes them crap... right.

Melbourne - i didnt rate but they have proved me wrong. The are consitnatly very very good.

Geelong - i love. Hard working, gritty club.

---

There is alot of good football going around, just that Lions are a class above the rest.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2004, 15:48 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUG
Regardless of the salary cap issues, this group of players have formed a team under Leigh which competes with every great side in history.

But it has to be said that currently, and maybe even over the past 2 seasons, they havent had a lot of competition. Besides Port, who have never competed against them in the final series, there hasnt been a good team.

at least in the 90's there were 4 or 5 quality teams for the premiership to compete against.
I belive Lions had to fight off quite alot of oppistion, although there was no truly great team.

They beat Essendon when they were sopposly "best team ever". And twice Collingwood which they were just too classy for.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:25
Rising Star

Brisbane are best ever.

Footy teams has never had the depth that is has in the modern era..

I hope they win this years Grand final, I'll give you good odds that Brisbane are glad that the Swans are going to finish 7th or 8th.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:36
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by South_Melbourne
Do you understand the sport at all?

Port, - as always are very good.

Saints - have an amazing young list. THey could dominate football for 6-8 years. Thy have so much potential. winning 10 games stright makes them crap... right.

Melbourne - i didnt rate but they have proved me wrong. The are consitnatly very very good.

Geelong - i love. Hard working, gritty club.

---

There is alot of good football going around, just that Lions are a class above the rest.
Obviously you are not aware of sarcasim i'm sure everyone else understood!
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:40
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7159
Brisbane are best ever.

Footy teams has never had the depth that is has in the modern era..
Footy teams have never had the asymmetrical salary cap benefits that Brisbane have enjoyed either.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:07
Rising Star

Common - you guys are kidding yourselves, forget the Salary Caps and all the weak excuses.

Your either good enough to win Grand Finals for your not. :thmbup:
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:06
Star Player

E.G collingwood!
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2004, 15:42 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terak
E.G collingwood!
They were good enough to get there twice.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2004, 15:44
Star Player

whats ur point i'd rather not make then 2 loose 2 yrs in a row
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2004, 05:49
CUG
Legend

Quote:
Common - you guys are kidding yourselves, forget the Salary Caps and all the weak excuses.

Your either good enough to win Grand Finals for your not. :thmbup:
thats bullshit! Carlton were caught being over the salary cap the same amount which the Lions get each season. The ban almost made the club shut the gate and it has made the club have to rebuild from scratch. Even though the club is surviving ok right now and they no longer linger on the bottom, it still had a massive affect.

what if brisbane had to get rid of Black and Voss because they couldnt fit into the salary cap. teams like essendon and a few others have lossed many players from this and yet, Brisbane with a super squad sit pretty each season as they can fit all in the salary cap. The players take a pay cut, but their pay still resembles other players in AFL.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2004, 07:16
Rising Star

Common CUG,

Everyone knows that Brisbane have players all over the ground that are exceptional - take one, two or three out and you still have a great side that will end up winning the grand final - AGAIN.

The injuries Brisbane and Port have had this year has really tested their List, injuries to other clubs have buried them.

The Salary cap view is not justified - its just a VIC EXCUSE, the same VIC's at work that cry foul at Brisbane.

Ok lets have it your way - they lose Black and Voss - do you honestly beleive they will fall apart or the comp will suddenly creep up to Brisbane.
Common CUG.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2004, 08:18
Star Player

U have to say thier salary cap VERY HIGH and there bonsuses to "stay alive" of like 1million dollars from the AFL. Brisbane has 1 AFL team how many members do they have 35000+ ? + 3 premierships + 1 million dollars from the afl. Work that out.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2004, 02:38
Rising Star

A good point you make is one team in one city gets the rewards.

Down the track in 5-10 years time, maybe there will be 2 teams in each Brisbane and Sydney - maybe.

It's a question of which struggling Melbourne club is smart enough to take the risk to move interstate at the right time.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2004, 05:42
Star Player

I think hawthorn should move.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2004, 06:53
CUG
Legend

Quote:
Common CUG,

Everyone knows that Brisbane have players all over the ground that are exceptional - take one, two or three out and you still have a great side that will end up winning the grand final - AGAIN.

The injuries Brisbane and Port have had this year has really tested their List, injuries to other clubs have buried them.

The Salary cap view is not justified - its just a VIC EXCUSE, the same VIC's at work that cry foul at Brisbane.

Ok lets have it your way - they lose Black and Voss - do you honestly beleive they will fall apart or the comp will suddenly creep up to Brisbane.
Common CUG.
yes, they have an exceptional squad, im not denying that. but what i am saying is that each season, they can consistantly build on that team without having to lose any star players. Teams in melbourne get great players and if they cant afford what the player asks for, that player leaves. Hence, they replace them with another younger player who takes that extra step and the same thing happens. so most melbourne teams have to give players away every two or three years because they cannot afford to keep them. And you try and do this and stay alive in melbourne, especially when your team isnt collingwood or essendon and the AFL are on your back just itching to make you either merge or piss off out of the comp simply to get more interstate teams to gain more revenue.

and yes, brisbane and especially port have stayed great even with huge injury lists, but at the end of day, come finals brisbane will have a almost a full team as will Port. And thats when it becomes unfair again.

Im not sooken about it, good on them...im a carlton supporter, its not like we are going to play against them in a grand final come sept. but i just think that once the equality is introduced right across the board for all teams, brisbane will have to consider selling some big names and it will affect the team. Also, people may start remembering brisbane for winning 3, possibly 4 by the end of this year, premierships by having an extra few hundred thousand to offer players each season.

And in regards to getting 1 million each season from the AFL, theri are clubs struggling in melbourne who could use that same money and yet, the AFL dont give a toss about them.

Overall, surely you could understand where me and a lot of others are coming from. 3 premierships in a row and they still get such benefits?? its unfair!
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2004, 12:16 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUG
yes, they have an exceptional squad, im not denying that. but what i am saying is that each season, they can consistantly build on that team without having to lose any star players. Teams in melbourne get great players and if they cant afford what the player asks for, that player leaves. Hence, they replace them with another younger player who takes that extra step and the same thing happens. so most melbourne teams have to give players away every two or three years because they cannot afford to keep them. And you try and do this and stay alive in melbourne, especially when your team isnt collingwood or essendon and the AFL are on your back just itching to make you either merge or piss off out of the comp simply to get more interstate teams to gain more revenue.

and yes, brisbane and especially port have stayed great even with huge injury lists, but at the end of day, come finals brisbane will have a almost a full team as will Port. And thats when it becomes unfair again.

Im not sooken about it, good on them...im a carlton supporter, its not like we are going to play against them in a grand final come sept. but i just think that once the equality is introduced right across the board for all teams, brisbane will have to consider selling some big names and it will affect the team. Also, people may start remembering brisbane for winning 3, possibly 4 by the end of this year, premierships by having an extra few hundred thousand to offer players each season.

And in regards to getting 1 million each season from the AFL, theri are clubs struggling in melbourne who could use that same money and yet, the AFL dont give a toss about them.

Overall, surely you could understand where me and a lot of others are coming from. 3 premierships in a row and they still get such benefits?? its unfair!
The majoirty of Lions player took pay cuts after there first flag (Voss, Lappin, Pike etc.) to keep their awsome team together. Yes, they get a 'bonus' but doesnt every interstate club?

Saints are doing a similar thing, they know how good they can be and have "banned together" and vowed to brake up the team.

If your going to argue about money look at the Pies. THey train in a 16 million facilty while doggies and roos train in shite holes. Bulldogs are struggling to sigh a major sponser while the Pies have a 8-12 year deal multi-muillion deal with lexus.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2004, 01:29
Rising Star

The challange in the semis no matter which team you support , avoid going to the Gabba for the elimination final.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in