West coast eagles - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2004, 08:27 Thread Starter
Star Player

West coast eagles

From www.afl.com.au

LAST TIME: West Coast 21.17 (143) d Melbourne 14.7 (91), round 21 2003, at Subiaco Oval. Despite being without ruckman Jeff White, the Demons were right in it at half-time, trailing by only 13 points. But West Coast went up a gear in the last half, booting 12 goals to six and running out convincing 52-point winners. Phil Matera kicked five goals, including four in the last term, while Andrew McDougall slotted through four. Eagle Daniel Kerr was best on ground with 25 touches.

WORRIES:
Melbourne’s James McDonald (two weeks) and Darren Jolly (three) are sidelined with medial ligament injuries. But with a predominantly healthy list, coach Neale Daniher’s headaches come from who to leave out. The likes of Chris Lamb, Troy Broadbridge, Peter Walsh, Peter Vardy, and draftee Brock McLean, among others, are all pressing for selection. For West Coast, Drew Banfield (knee) and Daniel Chick (thigh) are still a few weeks from being available.

THE WHITEBOARD:
Melbourne has been blessed with a healthy list of goal-kickers this year. The most recent example was during the rout of Carlton, where 11 players posted majors and captain David Neitz kicked only two during the 105-point result. By contrast, West Coast relied on its smalls - Ashley Sampi, Phillip Matera and Daniel Kerr - for 10 of its 11 goals against the Dockers. Matera (18), Sampi (16) and Chris Judd (8) are the club’s top-three goal-scorers. The Eagles need a key-position forward to stand up and relieve the pressure on those players to consistently deliver goals.

AND THE WINNER IS…..Melbourne: Among all the tactics and strategies that come from the coach each week, one stands out above all others that the Melbourne players have executed to perfection – to go out and play with passion. The five-straight wins has added confidence, and more importantly, belief to a playing group that wasn’t highly regarded by many at the start of the year. West Coast enters this contest struggling somewhat and will be hard pressed to come away with the four points on the road. Melbourne by 21 points.

GO EAGLES!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2004, 08:05 Thread Starter
Star Player

2 postives out of that match

Staker can mark
Glass can defend

On another point SAMPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2004, 08:31
Legend

Teams: Australian Football, Italian Football
It'll be hard to top Sampi's effort thats for sure

Was King Italy..

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2004, 12:12
Star Player

Good win over the Swans, but the main thing is that Jako has gone out with a bang.Congrats to Glen Jakovich on his brilliant career, Unlike many WCE greats he has gone out without having to lower his colours.One of the best centre backs of alltime

I love Wako Jako
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2004, 10:47
CUG
Legend

Teams: Juventus
definately great for jacko. he is the last of that great west coast team isnt he? i cant think of any others who were around the early 90's?
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2004, 16:43
Star Player

Yer i would say the last of the greats.Drew Banfield has a shout though, and Jason Ball is still kicking round.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2004, 03:21
Legend

Jako is the last of 92, Banfield still remains from 94. And isn't ti a little funny how the Eagles won by 27 points, Jako's famous number. I think that comes down to the fact though that Goodes was injured in the first ruck knockout.

Was King Italy..
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2004, 05:55 Thread Starter
Star Player

JAKO

It's great he went out by on win
but i feel west coast losing by around 150 points to st.kilda summat like 190 to 40
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2004, 08:56
Legend

I know it sounds strange, but there mght be something in the air this week, St Kilda have got to drop one sooner or later, the Eagles may just do it, though, yeah you're right St Kilda will probably get up by at least 6-7 goals.

Was King Italy..
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2004, 05:29 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Terak

but i feel west coast losing by around 150 points to st.kilda summat like 190 to 40
Damn i was close 49 points under!
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2004, 08:05
Legend

Many records broken on the day, highest losing margin under Woosha, 5th highest of all time, by far the Saints highest score against the Eagles. The eight seems like it's gonna be a strange thing this year, Sydney have a less than 50% win-loss ration, so even a 10-12 record plus percentage may get you in.

Was King Italy..
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old June 5th, 2004, 06:25
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Just on the Eagles... they need to recruit/draft some KPPs bigtime - 16th in the league in marks (as of Round 10, 2004) says it all.

I also think the midfield needs a hard bastard in it - Judd, Kerr, Fletcher and Cousins are fantastic to watch with the ball in their hands but without it they're far too unaccountable and let the opposition get away with far too much. West Aussie Josh Carr (Port Adelaide) is out of contract at the end of the season, not sure what West Coast's salary cap situation is like but bringing him home should be a top priority.

The basis of a Premiership tilt is there - provided Gardiner can stay fit for five minutes, but until the fierce and combative qualities of the Eagles of old is instilled by Woosha - and some quality KPPs are brought in - West Coast will continue to struggle in the mediocre positions 6-12.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old June 5th, 2004, 08:43 Thread Starter
Star Player

True True
we need a true full foward and true centre half forward to mark the ball and kick some goals cant really on the mid-field and matera to kick all the goals.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old June 5th, 2004, 14:17
Legend

Well it's what they're always saying in the press here, key position, and well, simply it's true, that's all that has to be said.

dyer, I think Mr Carr is on his way to Freo At least he wants to come here anyway and link up with his brother Matthew.

Was King Italy..
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old June 6th, 2004, 08:23
International

Quote:
Originally posted by King Italy
dyer, I think Mr Carr is on his way to Freo At least he wants to come here anyway and link up with his brother Matthew.
That's the mail here too - possible swap deal for Byron Schammer and a draft pick. But I tell you what, it would be in Woosha's best interests to try to cut Freo's lunch
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2004, 15:53 Thread Starter
Star Player

I think west coast eagles have found key position player at half foward.. Ashley Hansen in his 2nd game kicking 4 goals from half forward.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2004, 09:14
International

Quote:
Originally posted by Terak
I think west coast eagles have found key position player at half foward.. Ashley Hansen in his 2nd game kicking 4 goals from half forward.
Didn't Scott Cummings kick 8 on debut?

Hansen looks decent, but to be honest, it isn't hard for anyone to kick a handful on us at the moment - especially at Subi.

Let's see how he goes once he has a season or two under his belt
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2004, 11:40
Legend

The Eagles are rumoured to be interested in Graham Polak. F*ck off.

Was King Italy..
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2004, 06:33 Thread Starter
Star Player

with 3 rouns 2 go
the eagles look strong 2 make the finals with 3 home matches

I jus replied coz kerr has been reported and judd still might be
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2004, 07:19
Legend

They will probably win 2 of them, should beat Carlton, then either a win from the derby or at Melbourne, but it won't be easy, the Dockers are fighting for their spot in the 8 and the Demons are fighting for even more.

Was King Italy..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in