Your point of view - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old April 19th, 2004, 14:25 Thread Starter
CUG
Legend

Teams: Juventus
Your point of view

i'm a carlton supporter. now i know very few support the blues, but i'm sure you have all seen carlton this season. we are still very young, but i think we are playing better football than we have for quite some time.

Pagan has definately done a good job. he is trying out all the youngsters and he has more in reserves who i believe will come in soon enough to see what they have to offer also.

However, it is Pagan's tactics that have me caught in two minds. At times, we look quite good. Fast transitions in our play with long kicks etc...seeing fevola kick goals from outside 50 and so on, is good football no doubt.

But, my major concern involves crummers. with pagan's game plan, you need to have a CHF or/and FF always competing and the need for smaller skillful players becomes more important than ever when this happens. But at Carlton, who do we have? We have a young Kenna, who lets face it, is a nobody. Fisher is good but doesnt really crum as such. he is good for taking marks and kicking goals.

We do have others at the club and i suppose this is what my main point is. Lappin is a back flanker these days as he is used to set play up from our half backline. We see players like Houlihan and Harford being used in defence. Two very skillful players, who should be used further up the field, whether its on the ball or even on the forward flanks to at least pounce on the ball when it drops from the contest.

I understand that Pagan wants these types of players to help set up play from the half backline as thats where the attack originates from. In addition, i suppose he is trying to help Houlihan create an element of defence to his game as its important if he is going to become an on-baller in the future. but in the end, houlihan is wasted in defence and would be better utilised in the forward half of the ground. Harford is no different, he has the skills which can really help fevola get the ball a lot more than he has been. And of course Lappin, a player who is able to kick 40 plus goals a season in the forward line should be used there and not in defence.

Therefore, if Lappin was to return to the forward line, it would mean that a player who can set up play well, needs to head down back. I would nominate Lance Whitnall. At CHF, with Pagan's game plan, he is useless. Pagan thinks he is Carey in his prime, when he is different. Lance needs the ball kicked to him out in front or at least in his direction. Not kicked blindly 50 metres in the air with 4 players crashing over him. If he goes down back, we get a CHB which is needed and he has some experience which can help out the likes of thorntan and Norman who are both decent players. he reads the play well, and sets it up even better than Lappin does. Not forgetting he has a better disposal than lappin.

To fill the void of Lance at CHF, there are a few options. We could use Deluca who seems like a tall young fast player with a good grab. Digby Morell is an option, even though i dont think he is anything special. We could bring back Beasy who in my opinion is a very good young player who should be playing already. The last option is bringing Fevola to CHF, who is able to take the big grabs like Carey and kick from 55 to 60 metres out. We could use players like Fisher from the goal square and have the likes of Lappin and Houlihan crumming, not forgetting that lappin can take a nice grab also.

Anyway, thats my point of view. we need some stability down back and i believe Lance can provide it. We need some crummers in the forward line and we need our skillful players delivering it to our forward line also.

What are your thoughts on this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old April 19th, 2004, 14:40
Star Player

west coast will cream u at optus oval this week
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old April 19th, 2004, 15:03 Thread Starter
CUG
Legend

if you dont cream us, then you are shit!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2004, 07:34
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by CUG
if you dont cream us, then you are shit!
We cant play away from home, that my excuse if we lose.

Jetlag...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2004, 21:06
Bobo
Star Player

Teams: milan and only milan.
no worries CUG,we are doing it the right way,slowly but surely.

This years team would crap on last years and to me that's a good barometer.

GO BLUES.

........ Planet Milan ........

............i am happy.............
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:19
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
Haven't seen enough of the Blues to notice their game plans (I'm not that type of supporter) but all I know is, picking up 10 or 11 average players will not get you to the finals.

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2004, 16:39
Star Player

I think Carlton did really well in the trades Shev.With the exception of Morrell.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2004, 02:55 Thread Starter
CUG
Legend

we havent picked up average players. what we did do is look at the players who maybe didnt fit into the salary caps at other clubs. we have to remember that players like johnson and scotland had to be traded as they were at a stage where they needed to renew their contracts and obviously couldnt fit into the structured salary plans of collingwood and the hawks.

the way carlton conducting themselves in that draft period was unbelievable. they made out like they were not going to get anyone and that they couldnt afford many and yet, on the day, they blew everyone away by signing decent players who so far have impressed. i'm sure Johnson and scotland have had your praise so far this season. they are not superstars, but they are doing well.

and we also must remember that when a club makes so many changes, it takes some time to adapt as a whole on the field.

many people forget that teams such as brisbane who finished bottom like 4 or 5 years ago went on to do well. St.kilda have been getting those draft picks for many seasons and after a long period of being hopeless, they have all come together and look like the real deal this season.

i'm not disagreeing that carlton didnt pick up some average players, ie. mcgrath, clarke, but those players are needed as well if we get injuries. having an average age of 22/23 years old at the club does need some players who have at least some experience in at the top level.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2004, 07:26 Thread Starter
CUG
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Terak
west coast will cream u at optus oval this week
p
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2004, 08:04
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by CUG
p
ah shut up! :depress: :depress: :depress:
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2004, 09:14
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
Guess I shouldn't be so harsh on the Blues trading. They did pick up some good ones and some average ones, so that's alright considering what they had to deal with.

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old April 25th, 2004, 11:17 Thread Starter
CUG
Legend

exactly Shev...the situation was hard for the blues and to get the amount of players they did, it was great.

Terak, its okay mate, there is always next week. Must be hard seeing Carlton on top of the Eagles on the ladder thoughp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in