The Hirdy-Mclaren Issue! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2004, 04:43 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
The Hirdy-Mclaren Issue!

last week on the Footy show James Hird spoke openly about the Performances of Umpire scott Mclaren against Essendon.Hird's attack prompted so much debate that in the attention it was given,Hird ended up paying a $20,000 fine and issuing a Public Apology.
Umpire Mclaren even has considered taking Legal action for defamation of Character,What do you think about this Issue?As I'm sure you've all heard about it.

........ Planet Milan ........

"Il Milan con il cuore e insieme andiamo avanti"
"Siamo Il Milan non deve dire altro"

The poster formerly known as Schumy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2004, 07:39
CUG
Legend

Teams: Juventus
Well, i watched that game. And i think the overall umpiring was poor. How the AFL and umpire association can say that it was acceptable is beyond me.

i dont think Hird should have mentioned McLaren, but at the same time, its wasnt hard to figure out who he was talking about considering Sam Newman mentioned him and stated that Hird said McLaren's name backstage.

As for the fine? $20,000 is ridiculous. That's just way too much. Hird would have to earn $40,000 to pay that off. However, i think Essendon would pay that fine anyway, if not, i'm sure the Footy Show would have helped out somehow.

What got me the most over this whole issue is how once Hird mentioned the umpire issue, the next weekend of umpiring, field and goal umpiring was pathetic. If anything, it just proved that Hird is right.

Has anyone thought about how players cannot criticise umpires, however, umpires, coaches, media and so on can all criticise players whenever and however they like.

As for McLaren taking further legal action, i think the issue should be dropped now. Hird had to pay his fine, i wish he got one week to miss the Carlton clashp .

I just hope that the whole issue fixes the umpiring scheme altogether. Last week, Carlton got done hardcore by the umps in the dying stages of the match. Brisbane were given goals which were not. Umpires are paying free kicks to the players who are holding their opponents first.

its a freaking shambles right now. If anything, maybe Hird shuld be padded on the back.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2004, 11:42 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Hirdy has been an absolute statesman for the game.And for Mclaren to even consider taking Legal Action is just plain stupidity.A man of Hird's nature simply does not Intend to harm anyone it's proven how he plays the game and handles himself.
If anything Hird should've been fined $5,000 no more and they should get over it.
If the AFL think the standard of Umpiring is at a good level then they should take a long hard look at themselves.
around the world players and coaches criticise Referees,Umpires atc at times and they barely ever get a suspension just a fine.
So get a grip AFL this is'nt a Tragedy after all it was James Hird who made the Comments not someone else.
If anything the AFL should be grateful to someone who has been such a remarkable role model for the best part of the last decade.Scott Mclaren grow up you sook and for a change don't be a whimp!
do they honestly think that Mclaren will be spared by the Essendon faithful?If anything Mclaren has brought more things upon himself.He should've been the grown up and tried to sit down with Hirdy instead of Whingeing about Ludicrous Legal action.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2004, 10:35
CUG
Legend

well, last night, i suppose we saw where the $20 K went. that first quarter, Essendon were hard done by. But it must be said that the after that, essendon were favoured by the umpires. Some of the decisions in the third quarter basically gave essendon goals on a plate. ridiculous again.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2004, 10:37 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Of course the issue had to die down for the AFL's sake,The publicity it was receiving was really affecting the game.So imagine if Carlton had won and the decisions had gone the Blues way?Yep the happy ending had to come.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2004, 12:45
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
He deserved the fine but McLaren shouldn't take legal action.

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2004, 01:55
Rising Star

Give the game and the Umps a break.

How many mistakes do players make every Game?
Do fans want blood everytime a player misses a shot at goal - players are paid huge amount of money and still set shots at goals are missed in big numbers.
player turnovers especially in your own 50 - stupid free kicks etc. Players win or loses games not the Umps.
Umps will make mistakes and players will make more - all are human.

I'm proud that the U/15's team I coach we never have blamed, argued etc over a number of years at the Umps.
All parents and players have ask is for players protection, the number of players that have dropped out of AFL over the last 3-5 years is far to alarming and so disapointing.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2004, 02:50
CUG
Legend

but making mistakes as players differ to that of umpires. Mistakes are made by players through pressure which is put on by the opposition team. Mistakes by players is what makes the game of football click. rebounds and so on, its all apart of tactics which make your opposition fuk up as such when going into the forward line and so on.

the umpires are there to make the game run fairly. they overlook both the teams on the field and make sure that it is a FAIR contest. Now, if they are making mistakes, hence, not allowing this fairness to be shared by both teams on the playing field, how can they not be criticised?

we all make mistakes, and i often say that it is the way we deal with the consequences as such, which shows our true colours. The umpires havent been admitting that the state of their profession on the field is a shambles in many games so far this season. They never admit that they were wrong and when a legend player like Hird comes out with it, suddenly, we have to feel sorry for them and he gets fined a ridiculous fee.

And regarding players, they do get a lot of slack from the media if they are not performing well. And yet, they take it on the chin and try to rectify the problem on the field. Why can't umpires do this? Instead, they come out the next week and fuk up even more.

The umpires are their to make the game be played fairly and in the right manner. They are not there to decide who wins the game, eg, Kangaroos V Carlton week 3.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2004, 07:07
Rising Star

GUG and the rest against the Umps:

Go and get your Umps certificate and start making a differance, or go and coach a side of U12-U16's and see how gracious and responsible you need to be to the team, parents, club and Umps.

NOT EASY:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2004, 12:08 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

We are well aware that the job of Umpire is'nt easy,You're everyone's favourite enemy True?
But the fact maybe is the shocking decisions that reall upset people,Umps need to be given more gratitude they do a job that not many would like to do.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2004, 17:22
CUG
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by 7159
GUG and the rest against the Umps:

Go and get your Umps certificate and start making a differance, or go and coach a side of U12-U16's and see how gracious and responsible you need to be to the team, parents, club and Umps.

NOT EASY:
here we go...i hate when people pull this crap out. "you try and do it and see if its easy"...its their professional job. they get paid good money. Just like CEO's of major companies, and football players and everyone else. What gives them the right to fuk up and others not to?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2004, 07:19 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

I agree they should stop whingeing and accept that they're undy so much Crutiny,And their roles will receive so much Criticism anyway.I can't believe how they whine at times and get players into trouble for accidentally bumping into them.
It's such a quick game now but the Umpires milk it that they're such an endangered species.In your job if you don't perform you're questioned.Well stated CUG.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2004, 01:45
Rising Star

It's not crap about you getting a Umps certificate and doing the Umpiring.

I'm really Interested -
What have you guys put back into the AFL game??????????

Coaching, Umpiring, Management of a team, assisting a Junior Club?

Don't give me the excuse that I haven't got time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in