Top 50 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old April 12th, 2003, 08:42 Thread Starter
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
Top 50

School get's boring at times, so I took it upon myself to create a Top 50, ala Mike Sheahan. It took a couple of days, first making a short list of players, then cutting down the list and then putting them into their places. But I finally finished it and here it is. This is based on a bit of last year and a bit of performances prior to that. I also did one on the current coaches too.

TOP 50 AFL STARS

1. Michael Voss- Brownlow Medal, Premiership captain, All-Australian captain and Best & Fairest's. A very prestigious list for a champion player who is courageous, powerful, fast, skillful, smart, a great leader and a great bloke, kicks goals, takes good marks and racks up touches.

2. Nathan Buckley- Almost a replica of Voss in their style of play, but Voss' achievements rank him a bit higher. Buckley for years has been a superstar and will continue to be for the rest of his career. His wife is awesome too.

3. Andrew McLeod- Perhaps the most skillful player in the game and a delight to watch. The skinny Aboriginal star is lightning quick and combined with his silky skills, he is a danger for every team. Lifts in the big matches, most noticably his 2 Norm Smith Medals by age 21.

4. Matthew Llyod- Currently the best forward in the game and the best since the prime time of Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall and Carey. At age 24 he has 500+ goals and 2 Coleman Medals. A strong mark and a very accurate, long kick for goal. Goals win matches and it is no wonder I rate him so highly.

5. Shane Crawford- 1999 Brownlow Medalist who is an awesome midfielder. A running machine for Hawthorn, who is not gifted with height or size, but is still courageous. Good skills, works extremely hard, effecient in all parts of the field and a true leader. A likeable figure in the world of football.

6. Ben Cousins
7. Simon Black
8. Luke Darcy
9. Justin Leppitsch
10. Dustin Fletcher
11. Nick Riewoldt
12. Matthew Primus
13. James Hird
14. David Neitz
15. Jason Akermanis
16. Nathan Brown
17. Nigel Lappin
18. Wayne Carey
19. Josh Francou
20. Jason Johnson
21. Glen Archer
22. Travis Johnstone
23. Peter Bell
24. Anthony Rocca
25. Alistair Lynch
26. Paul Licuria
27. Brent Harvey
28. Jeff White
29. Adam Simpson
30. Steven King
31. Anthony Stevens
32. Mark Ricciuto
33. Brett Ratten
34. Scott West
35. Adem Yze
36. David King
37. Brad Johnson
38. Chris Grant
39. Stephen Milne
40. Matthew Pavlich
41. Wayne Campbell
42. Simon Goodwin
43. Sean Wellman
44. Anthony Koutoufides
45. James Clement
46. Des Headland
47. Mark Johnson
48. Chris Scott
49. Chris Judd
50. Warren Tredrea

TOP 16 COACHES

1. Leigh Matthews- Transformed the Lions from Wooden Spooners to Back-to-Back Premiers in the space of 5 years. Won that elusive flag for Collingwood in 1990. Beaten Sheedy twice in Grand Finals and Malthouse once, and he has never lost one himself.

2. Kevin Sheedy- Been in charge of the Bomber's for over 20 years and delivered 4 flags. A back-to-back in the 80's, an unexpected one in 1993 and an all-conquering one in 2000, where they won all but one game. Been up and down with them, but the up's have dominated. Has a very different outlook on the game and has been known for making successful 'strange' moves.

3. Denis Pagan- Transformed the Roos from a bottom team into a team that made 7 consecutive Preliminary Finals, winning 2 Premierships in that time. In under 19's with the Roos, he made 7 consecutive Grand Final's and won most of them. Now at Carlton for a very tough challenge. His Kangaroos were undoubtebly the best in the 1990's.

4. Michael Malthouse- After a bit of time at the Bulldogs, he took over the Eagles and won them 2 Premierships, taking the cup outside Victoria for the first time ever. Known for his discipline and no BS attitude. Created an awesome West Coast team with an amazingly strong defence, and now taken over the Pies where he transformed them from crap to Grand Finalists.

5. Gary Ayres- Doesn't rate with the top 4, but is better than the rest. Good periods at Geelong and Adelaide, although no premierships, see him as #5. Last year the Crows were tipped for bad things, but got them one match away from a Premiership and this year they are one of the favourites.

6. Mark Williams
7. Neale Daniher
8. Mark Thompson
9. Peter Schwab
10. John Worsfold
11. Paul Roos
12. Chris Connoly
13. Danny Frawley
14. Grant Thomas
15. Dean Laidley (unproven)
16. Peter Rohde (unproven)

Tell us what you think and give us your own too.

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO

Last edited by The Pippo; April 12th, 2003 at 08:45.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2003, 03:13
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Very interesting list Sheva, and it certainly got me thinking... It was an eye-opener to see Lloyd so high, but in the end it's around about where he belongs.

When I get a bit of time I might knock up a list of my own

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2003, 08:44
CUG
Legend

Teams: Juventus
some players there who i disagree on.

i always thought that Andy McKay.....(i dont think i saw him there) could make it.

Lance Whitnall or Camporeale as well.....

but yeah.......would be way to hard to go through all the teams and choose players.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2003, 10:27 Thread Starter
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy
Yeah, it was very difficult. Everyone has their own opinion and there are lots of factors to take into account.

With McKay, I'd say he would have made it a couple of years back, Whitnall has potential but has yet to prove it and Camporeale isn't going too well at the moment (last season too)

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2003, 15:08
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
heres mine fellas:
1.voss
2.Mcleod
3.nathan brown
4.buckley
5.cousins
6.darcy
7.Black
8.Brad Johnson
9.Akermanis
10.Lloyd
11.Riciuto
12.Lappin
13.Chris Johnson
14.Primus
15.Fletcher
16.Goodwin
17.Michael
18.Tredrea
19.Nick Stevens
20.Leppitsch
21.Neitz
22.Reiwoldt
23.Pickett
24.Bell
25.Crawford
26.Wayne Cambell
27.Jonathan Brown
28.Rocca
29.Ramanauskas
30.Jason Johnson
31.Ben Hart
32.Gardiner
33.Yze
34.Clement
35.Adam Simpson
36.Brad Scott
37.Wellman
38.Pavlich
39.Chris Scott
40.Power
41.Burton
42.Barry Hall
43.Licuria
44.Hasleby
45.Judd
46.Johnstone (melbourne)
47.Whitnall
48.Lynch
49.Paul Williams
50. cameron Bruce

i didnt add injured players otherwise francou, otto, lockyer et al would have made it.............also thats current form mainly from last year thru to now, otherwise players like whitnall would be higher, hird would be there as would kouta, richo gaspar and a few others
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2003, 15:42
International

I pretty much agree with that list Tiges, although Tyson "zoom-zoom" Edwards would have to sneak into my 50... he has to be the single most under-rated player in the competition.

Has been consistantly good since his debut in 1995 and is now taking the next step to a possible and deserved AA guernsey.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2003, 16:08
International

1. Michael Voss
2. Andrew McLeod
3. Jason Akermanis
4. Nathan Buckley
5. Ben Cousins
6. Justin Leppitsch
7. Simon Black
8. Mark Ricciuto
9. Nathan Brown
10. Luke Darcy
11. Nigel Lappin
12. Matthew Primus
13. Simon Goodwin
14. Matthew Lloyd
15. Shane Woewodin
16. Shane Crawford
17. Warren Tredrea
18. Matthew Pavlich
19. David Neitz
20. Nick Riewoldt
21. Dustin Fletcher
22. Adam Simpson
23. Brad Johnson
24. Michael Gardiner
25. Mal Michael
26. Jason Johnson
27. Adem Yze
28. Sean Wellman
29. Ben Hart
30. Byron Pickett
31. Brad Scott
32. Des Headland
33. Scott West
34. Peter Bell
35. David King
36. Chris Scott
37. Anthony Rocca
38. Paul Williams
39. Jonathon Brown
40. Barry Hall
41. Brent Harvey
42. Chris Johnson
43. Alistair Lynch
44. Tyson Edwards
45. Nick Stevens
46. Anthony Stevens
47. Scott Camporeale
48. Steven Milne
49. Steven King
50. Russell Robertson

Not considered due to wretched form/injury/layoff:

Kouta, Francou, Carey, Hird, Ottens, Ratten, Archer, Everitt, Whitnall, R. Harvey.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2003, 16:31
Star Player

I cant be bothered making one because i would forget players and want to add them in etc.But i have to say some suprises in your lists guys.

Dt-No Chris Judd :fero:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2003, 01:07
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
yeh true, i did consider him, (edwards) but i s'pose i forgot him just like i forgot milne, brent harvey, david king

one thing dt, i really think campbell from richmond has gone to a new level the past year and hes certainly top 50 material in my book.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2003, 05:55
International

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerTUFF
one thing dt, i really think campbell from richmond has gone to a new level the past year and hes certainly top 50 material in my book.
I forgot him and Kane Johnson...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in