Pagan, a mistake! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2003, 02:45 Thread Starter
CUG
Legend

Teams: Juventus
Pagan, a mistake!

i'm a carlton supporter, and i had to witness that game on saty night against sydney.

pagan has carlton playing a totally different style now. i have respect for pagan, but he has to understand that we dont have carey playing at cetnre half forward.

he started with whitnall, mckernan, kouta and fevola in the forward line. and he had wiggins, our best defender last season as the scrummer. what the hell is that??

Lappin in defence??? one of the best goal sneaks around.

He had us play direct footabll, which saw most players get it from centre half back and bomb it long to one of our nig men which had 3 or 4 players on him.

players like Campo, rats etc..didnt touch the ball because we never once used the midfield. we never handball.....at one stage in the 3rd quarter, sydney had 19 handballs and we had none......

i just feel that Pagan seriously has to think again if he thinks that our players suit his old Kangaroos style.....carlton have skillful players in kouta, campo, rats, houlihan etc...and they are not being utilised in these tactics.

i just feel that i had to express my distress.....many can blame the players, but its not their faults, Pagans tactics are freaking hopeless!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2003, 06:30
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
lol gees mate, any1 would think u were a richmond supporter or something
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2003, 09:07
International

Teams: AC Milan, Italy

Gee, it's been one fraking match and you're complaining already. Pagan is one of the best coaches in the AFL. Carlton is veyr lucky to have him, he will change the club around. Just be patient.

AC MILAN
IL CLUB PIU' TITOLATO AL MONDO

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2003, 09:45 Thread Starter
CUG
Legend

yeah, but did you see the tactics?? did you see how he actually played our players etc....i mean he is trying to bring his old tactics to a team which simply cant play that style.

actually.i read that there are rumours that a player from collingwood asked Lance Whitnall how the club was going in that Wizard Cup............apparently Lance relied, "if he thinks his going to play me like he played Carey, its going to be a long F*cking season".........and he also said, "He thinks we are the kangaroos....it just doesnt work"

so already things are not to good.

like i said, i have respect for pagan, but i feel that he shouldnt try to play the same tactics as he did at the kangaroos. Carlton are not that type of a team. our players are not like that.

Come on, you would have to question a coach who plays Lappin in the defence when he is capable of kicking 50 goals a season.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old April 1st, 2003, 01:04
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Some of the Tactics had to be questioned,With Collingwood this week I think we're stuffed and as for that over rated Koutafides he's finished he should've been traded years ago forget him.:fero:

........ Planet Milan ........

"Il Milan con il cuore e insieme andiamo avanti"
"Siamo Il Milan non deve dire altro"

The poster formerly known as Schumy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old April 1st, 2003, 01:40
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
There was an interesting discussion on TF last night where Caro, Brucie and Tim Watson all agreed that he has tried to superimpose the Kangas gameplan on Carlton - blind kicking upfield just for the sake of kicking long and getting up the field etc etc.

The general summary was that the jury is still out and the players have to adapt, but as the blue baggers here have aluded to - do you see Wayne Carey, John Longmire, Glenn Archer or Mark Roberts anywhere?

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old April 1st, 2003, 06:26 Thread Starter
CUG
Legend

Mr Meazza...with all due respect, but i feel that you are wrong about kouta.

he played Kouta in a forward line with lance, corey and fevola......if you play kouta in the forward, leave it open and dont crowd the freaking thing.

i feel Kouta should be played at centre half back.......we dont need him in the forward line. even the wing would be good, just to get back into the swing of things.

once he is fully fit, mentally and physically, then you can put him on the ball again.

Dyertribe, i missed it last night......but its good to see others have noticed it as well.

I'm telling you know, play those tactics at carlton, and we wont win a game at all.

what i dont underdstand is this:

Carey is at Adelaide now. i watched their game on sunday, and Adelaide still dont bomb it up there for him to take a great grab. they were kicking long at times, but putting it out infront for him to either grab normally, or dive etc... to get it. but they never once bombed it to him with him having 3 men on him.

why is pagan implementing this into our game?? no player in AFL could have done well in that game. no player can take on 3 players and mark the ball all game.

its a freaking joke!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old April 1st, 2003, 10:28
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Melbourne Heart, Liverpool, sheffield utd
Quote:
Originally posted by CUG
Carey is at Adelaide now. i watched their game on sunday, and Adelaide still dont bomb it up there for him to take a great grab. they were kicking long at times, but putting it out infront for him to either grab normally, or dive etc... to get it. but they never once bombed it to him with him having 3 men on him.

why is pagan implementing this into our game?? no player in AFL could have done well in that game. no player can take on 3 players and mark the ball all game.

its a freaking joke!

sorry to go OT guys, but i just wanna mention one freaking name! richo! this bloke puts up with that crap week in week out and still takles marks.......... :fero:

I also heard that rumour cug, give it some time, pagan is a smart cookie, hes stripped the club bare down to its birthday suit, he'll rebuild dont fear, im sure he'll adapt to the list u guys have...if not ship him over to punt rd, we could use him
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old April 2nd, 2003, 00:55
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan
What state were the Kangas when Pagan took over and they became the most successful side of the last 10 years so to speak we'll be back,As for Richo as long as he's at Richmond sorry TT I don't think he can improve much yet the Tiges have picked up some good quality in Kane Johnson and Blumfield the loss of big Otto was a disaster and Now Grant who next??:depress:

........ Planet Milan ........

"Il Milan con il cuore e insieme andiamo avanti"
"Siamo Il Milan non deve dire altro"

The poster formerly known as Schumy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old April 2nd, 2003, 10:19 Thread Starter
CUG
Legend

richo gets poor service no doubt........he shouldnt play anymore until they learn how to kick to him.

But Richo has a problem as well, his kicking is shocking......and that lets him down.

Pagan built the kangaroos well, but he built them from scratch and turned those players into what he wanted. At Calrton, he has Campo, rats, kouta etc....all these players are developed and won tbe changed as players.

these players dont want to just kick the ball up the field and get up there faster so the other team can't flood.....players like Campo,, rats and kouta are class players....they play with skill........and seeing others just bomb it up there doesnt allow them to use their skill.

its a Cuper at Inter scenario i believe. he has stars like recoba playing out of position etc...how does it benefit the team???

it will take carlton at least 10 games to even start getting used to these tactics IMO!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in