Denver Nuggets Official Thread - Xtratime Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2018, 12:01 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Denver Nuggets Official Thread

I've been watching all of their games, mainly because I like Jokic's game. His effectiveness is just unreal, highest BB IQ player I've seen.

Anyway, they've sorted out their defense and not only are they 4-0, they also are no. 1 defensive team in the NBA after 4 rounds (which doesn't mean much, but still). Their win over GSW was actually pretty weird as they didn't shoot well (40% FG and 19% 3PT) and were horrible from the line (only 22 of 40 FT made). But still they beat the reigning NBA champs somehow by playing solid defense, not giving them many clean looks and forcing them to commit turnovers.

They easily walked over Suns and Kings at home and had a tough away win @Clippers in the first round.

Jokic was unreal vs Suns: 35/12/11 (FG 11/11, FT 10/11, 0 TO). He became the 2nd player after Wilt Chamberlain to record a 30-pt triple-double with no misses and the first player since 1985 to record a triple double without missed field goals or turnovers. It must be said that no.1 draft pick DeAndre Ayton really struggled with stopping him and basically looked like scrub. No. 2 draft pick Marvin Bagley III had a much better performance vs Nuggets, scoring 20 and showing good defensive awareness.

Anyway, next up will be LeBron and the Lakers in LA tonight. They will be without Rondo and Ingram who are both still serving suspensions for the brawl with Rockets.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? AndÖ.itís the football, thatís the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim

Last edited by Andy Christ; October 25th, 2018 at 12:07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2018, 12:11 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

a bit about their defense:

One of their weaknesses last season was defending the pick and roll. Itís one of the most basic plays in the NBA for offenses to run, and the Nuggets were torched by it. Jokic would stay below the screen, arms spread out, waiting for the guard to attack towards the rim. This would inevitably result in the guard blowing past Jokic, getting to the rim before help defenders could rotate over, and a layup. If the help did arrive early or on time, the guard would pull up and find a teammate that was open due to the rotation. The players struggled to communicate, rotate, and fight over screens - it was a disaster.

It seemed that the coaching staff eventually stopped getting frustrated about it, like a mother that resigns herself to the fact that her child is just going to be biting their nails until they chew off their fingers. But in the offseason, one of the messages had to have been that this would be unacceptable.

The Nuggets players didnít become dramatically faster or taller or be able to jump higher in a few months - they understand where to go, when to go, who to leave and how to get to where they need to be better this season. Theyíre doing things smarter, putting in more effort, and finding better results.

One of the smarter things theyíre doing is having Jokic hedge the pick and roll ball handler. This means moving Jokic up from his passive stance below the 3-point line, and trying to impede the progress of the ballhandler. With Jokicís size and wingspan, his job is to make it difficult for the ballhandler to whip the ball over to the roll man. The screened defender stays with the roll man for a moment, another defender rotates down to tag the roll man as the screened defender bounces back towards Jokic, to either trap or rotate to the player vacated by the tag man, and the defense has now switched their assignments on the fly. Jokic can either rotate back to his original assignment or stay with the ballhandler on the perimeter.

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2018/10...-jokic-millsap

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? AndÖ.itís the football, thatís the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2018, 12:15
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
I only saw their GSW game (I watch all Wolves games, several raptors and Celtics ones,). It was insane the intensity they played with, that last second block to win the game haha, off the hook.

Allways thought their coach Malone sucks and this great core deserves better (he misused Jokic for so long), but if theirs signs of improving their nonexistent defense, major kudos.

Besides Jokic being the most smooth big ever, I really like Murray, want him to have a true breakout year, be more assertive and shoot lights out. Tho so far it seems like Harris has the mire hungry alpha in him.

Btw that deluded douche kid Porter jr, how long is he out for? He can fill their only weakness, SF, if he is not a cripple for good.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

ďI am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.Ē-Genghis Khan

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2018, 12:36 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osman View Post

Btw that deluded douche kid Porter jr, how long is he out for? He can fill their only weakness, SF, if he is not a cripple for good.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I don't think they've set a timeline for his return. The operation he had wasn't really that serious and shouldn't have long term effects, according to some experts: https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/6/...injury-surgery

A lot depends of him becoming a true star...if he becomes one during the next couple of years then Nuggets have one of the best starting lineups in NBA.

post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2018, 12:41
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
I really like their jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2018, 12:50 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

their best jerseys are the rainbow skyline ones IMO:

post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old October 25th, 2018, 12:57 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

the ones they have this season aren't really that exciting tbh:

post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2018, 11:19
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
They lost their first match. Obviously this thread was a jinx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2018, 12:20 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Yeah

They had a decent lead in the middle of the 4th quarter but then there was an unexpected scoring spurt by Late Show Lance which brought Lakers back in the game and they were a bit more solid in the end.

post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2018, 16:51
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
Against the Lakers missed quite a number of buckets in the paint. Normally he makes those. That kind of allowed the Lakers to stay alive. It was a close game. But overall he's a solid player and one of the best big men coming from Europe. Him and Doncic are great in their respective positions. With Ginobli and Parker's careers finished. Dirk probably retiring after this season. The NBA needs more top tier talent from Europe. Jokic and Doncic fit that category and give new life to the NBA.
Andy Christ likes this.
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2018, 16:59
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
They lost their first match. Obviously this thread was a jinx.
Missing Will Barton will hurt them. But it shouldn't affect their chances at all to make the playoffs. They're a good team and the coach seems to be doing a great job as well. I wonder when Isaiah Thomas will play for them. Will this be his final season in the NBA? Or will he recover from that hip injury and get some hope to get a contract in the future after this season is over with.
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2018, 12:37 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Interesting article on Jokic: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1...uggets-feature

Jokic is built like a traditional big man, but has the statistical profile of an All-Star point guard. He led the Nuggets in true shooting percentage (60.3) and assist percentage (28.6) last season. At 7 feet and 250 pounds, with a 7-foot-3 wingspan, he is the tallest player to ever have a season with those statistical benchmarks, and one of only six players above 6-foot-5 to have done it. The other seven? LeBron James, Magic Johnson, Penny Hardaway, Michael Jordan, and James Harden.

His production is historic on many levels. Jokic is one of only six players in NBA history to average at least 18 points, 10 rebounds, and six assists over an entire season. The other five are Oscar Robertson (three times); Larry Bird, Wilt Chamberlain, and Russell Westbrook (all twice); and Kevin Garnett (once). The average age of those players in the 10 seasons they reached those numbers is 27, and they averaged 20.1 field goal attempts per game in those seasons. Jokic did it at 22 while averaging only 13.5. His Łber-efficiency in a smaller role indicates that he could succeed in a much bigger one.

post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old October 29th, 2018, 13:49 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Today they face Pels at home whose unbeaten run came to an end over the weekend as they lost to Jazz with AD sitting it out with elbow sprain.

He is likely to sit out vs Denver too.

post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2018, 14:03 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Nuggets with their worst performance this season vs under-strength Pels...still it is enough for a 116-111 win. All the claims about this being a new solid defense era in Denver pretty much flew out of the window though as Pelicans scored in the paint with embarrassing ease throughout the game.

Jokic was strangely anonymous and attempted only 8 shots but still was only one assist away from another triple-double.

post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2018, 14:09 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Next up is an Eastern Conference road trip with Bulls on Halloween evening and Cavs in the next day.

Both should be winnable so it might be 7-1 after this.

post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2018, 13:19 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Bulls (2-5) looks like the easiest match yet on paper. They are missing 3 starters: Kris Dunn, Lauri Markkanen and Bobby Portis. (shame about Markkanen who I wanted to see).

But this Bulls team has been kept under 106 only once and a couple of their losses have been close. So no need to underestimate them even if their predicted starting five doesn't sound impressive at all.

post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2018, 16:29
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: FC Barcelona
Gah Andy, there was no need for this jinx thread.

Finally looked like a season where they make it back to the playoffs and make a difference in it. And then I see this thread.

Seriously though, the Barton loss is big and hopefully he makes it back by mid November. If Isaiah can get fit again and be 80% the player he was for the the Celtics, I feel this team goes to the conference finals and takes the Warriors to atleast 6 games.

I feel there is a trade in this team too, they are still stacked with Powers Forwards and guards and depending on when and how good Isaiah and Porters turn out to be they will have some valuable trade pieces.

02/05/2009
Estadio : Santiago Bernabťu
Real Madrid 2 - 6 FC Barcelona
Higuain 14'
Thierry Henry 17'
Carles Puyol 20'
Lionel Messi 35'
Sergio Ramos 56'
Thierry Henry 58'
Lionel Messi 75'
Gerard Piquť 82'
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2018, 19:24 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Isaiah is a black hole on defense and a net negative player unless you build your whole offense around him (like Celtics did)

Still for a veteran minimum it wasn't a bad signing, he can provide some instant offense off the bench. but he won't be a difference maker. Also Monte Morris has been pretty solid in recent games.

post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old November 1st, 2018, 12:28 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Chicago missed 4 key players and looked more like some NCAA All-Star team. They couldn't do much in the paint in the 1st half but hit threes extremely well. They were only 4 points behind at halftime but it was clear that Denver will take it down easily in the second half. Except that they didn't. Bulls kept making threes (47%) and LaVine and Wendell Carter jr were both extremely solid while Jokic, Harris and Murray all had off nights. Only 3 minutes before the end Bulls suddenly had a 6 point lead. Nuggets somehow came back though to take it to overtime.

In the OT Jokic finally took some responsibility and scored 8 in a row. Nuggets were one behind and had 3.5 seconds to make their final play. Jokic missed the shot but Millsap was there under the basket to help it in.

6-1

post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2018, 00:01 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Cavs game starting soon...similarly to the last two games the Nuggets will again have it easy as their opponent is without their best player: Kevin Love sits it out with a toe injury.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in