NBA Offseason 2017 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2017, 14:17 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
NBA Offseason 2017

Celtics pushing for George...they have reportedly offered a good deal to Indiana...apparently one of the requirements is that Hayward would sign with them by 1 july...I guess PG isn't interested if Hayward doesn't come.

although some say that PG would be leaving too much money on the table by extend-and-trade or extension pledge...that's it's way better for him to let his contract expire.

https://sports.yahoo.com/paul-george...185024671.html

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old June 26th, 2017, 13:26 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

NBA awards show tonight.

my choices bolded

Kia NBA Most Valuable Player
The Finalists:
* James Harden, Houston Rockets
* Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio Spurs
* Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder

Kia NBA Defensive Player of the Year
The Finalists:
* Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz
* Draymond Green, Golden State Warriors
* Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio Spurs

Kia NBA Rookie of the Year
The Finalists:
* Malcolm Brogdon, Milwaukee Bucks
* Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers
* Dario Saric, Philadelphia 76ers

Kia NBA Sixth Man Award
The Finalists:
* Eric Gordon, Houston Rockets
* Andre Iguodala, Golden State Warriors
* Lou Williams, Houston Rockets

NBA Coach of the Year
The Finalists:
* Mike D’Antoni, Houston Rockets
* Gregg Popovich, San Antonio Spurs
* Erik Spoelstra, Miami Heat

Kia Most Improved Player
The Finalists:
* Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks
* Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz
* Nikola Jokic, Denver Nuggets

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2017, 23:05 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Brook won the MVP alright...

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2017, 19:08
Star Player

Paul to Houston. It certainly makes them better on paper, but it remains to be seen how the chemistry - especially between Paul/Harden - will translate on the floor. This also leaves Blake in doubt with the Clippers. There's probably another move on the way.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2017, 19:37 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

I'm actually quite surprised by this. Apparently Houston ain't done yet - they also want Paul George or Melo.

PG would make them a contender...Melo might be more trouble than good.

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2017, 02:08 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Chris Paul is a clever guy for sure...he did this deal in a way where he doesn't even lose any money.

After first declining his player option with LAC he now picked it up after agreed with the Clippers front office that they trade him to Houston...

This is good for the Clippers as they actually get some decent assets (Beverley, Lou Williams, 2018 1st pick) for him instead of losing him to free agency.

This is REALLY good for CP3 as now Houston has his Bird Rights and next summer can (or should I say will be forced to) extend him for a 5 year $210M deal running out in 2023. Had Paul signed with them as FA this summer, he'd get a deal until 2021...quite likely his last big deal. Plus he saves millions per year as Texas has no state income tax while California had one of the highest.

This is not so good for the Rockets as 1. they had to give up assets for him and 2. they have to pay him tons of money even when he's old and maybe past his prime already. Signing him as a FA this summer on a 4 year deal on a slightly lower yearly salary would have been so much better.

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2017, 02:46
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Rockets are betting on challenging for the league this coming season or at worst the one after.

It will indeed be very interesting to see how it works; Harden has been doing most of the ball handling as point guard and had really been pretty damn good at it too in his own weird way. Now they're getting probably the most classic playmaking pointguard in the league in Paul. At the very least it will open up space for Harden and undoubtedly ups the quality for the Rockets, but it's still intriguing. Another shooting option like Anthony or even more just a beast like Paul George would of course open up lots more space for Harden, but it's just hard to image how it would work. Their whole game was essentially 100% based around Harden doing whatever he **** he wanted -- primarily shooting or threatening to shoot. In that sense Melo would perhaps make more sense (since he does little more than shoot), but it's obvious that anybody who could choose would pick George over Anthony presently.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2017, 09:42
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
Getting Melo would be kinda toxic for a team that already suffer defensively due their gunho style, plus already shoot well. Only way it make most sense is for 6th man imo.

Can they pull off PG? What assets do they have give up for him?

Skickat frĺn min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2017, 11:28
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
Rockets are betting on challenging for the league this coming season or at worst the one after.

It will indeed be very interesting to see how it works; Harden has been doing most of the ball handling as point guard and had really been pretty damn good at it too in his own weird way. Now they're getting probably the most classic playmaking pointguard in the league in Paul. At the very least it will open up space for Harden and undoubtedly ups the quality for the Rockets, but it's still intriguing.

This video explains how it could work really well:

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2017, 14:22
Star Player

In theory it could work very well, thing is Paul is such a huge ball hog. It will be interesting to see if he is willing to work less off the ball or vice versa where Harden is receptive to become strictly a SG. Iunno either way it will be cool to watch them play together. I don't see Melo joining this team though. D'Antoni couldn't get along with Melo back in his coaching days with NY. It would be a horrible move imo anyway.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2017, 14:25 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

quite frankly I doubt if even with CP3 and PG could they beat the Warriors....but can't blame them for trying.

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2017, 06:30
Star Player

Teams: Milan
In all honesty, I just chuckle at anything Daryl Morey does, the guy is beyond delusional! The trade looks great, sure, but it's a one-year rental & even if they wanted to sign CP3 to the max contract he would command same time next year, it's no given the player himself would opt to stay in Houston. Not to mention the absurdity of paying a CP3 on father time something around 40 mil! I'm not sure either D'Antoni is the guy to find a functional plan for his two ball hogs, so that's another one.

This trade might take them to the Western Finals if the Spurs don't upgrade, just might. But it's a totally different story against GSW & they're not in the same bracket, no matter who they still bring in.

No expectations..No disappointments
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2017, 05:39
Star Player

looool OKC land PG out of left field. I was sensing even during the NBA Awards that Victor may be on his way out, but damn.... they ultimately got PG for peanuts

I was also slightly surprised by the Rubio move. Then again he opened up some cap space for the T-Wolves

Now all eyes are on Iggy
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2017, 13:35 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

strange deal, I wonder why Celtics or Rockets didn't go for him? Do they think he'll sign with the Lakers no matter what next summer?

also, could the East get any weaker?

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2017, 14:49 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Iguodala reportedly extends with GSW.

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2017, 15:42
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

I like Rubio and thought he got undeserved shit, but its also a relief to finally move on from him (even if that barely gives us much? OKC draft pick for next year? Thats hardly gonna be top half pick). I saw around only 20-25 full games of Wolves past season (I'm bit of a casual fan lol, plus time zones horrible for games), and despite all the good defending and passing, it was infuriating to see all the plays get bogged down simply because no one bothers to close him down much and close other lanes, because they dont see him threatening enough of a shooter. I dont need PG to be a lethal scorer when we had 3 players who averaged around 20 past season, but you have to atleast be able to threaten on your own and more easier open up space for others indirectly. Tyus Jones was more useful at that off the bench.

If you give away that salary and already got rid of likes of Jordan Hill/Petkovic, then it means we should have around 30ish mill? Thats decent sum to work with in free agency. Butler was talking about calling his allstar friends to come join him, I dont expect someone big, but defenitely type of quality PG like Lowry if we are lucky, would be dope. Thats the best case scenario, I'm expecting someone more like Teague instead (everyone getting the **** out from Pacers), he is very good atletic scorer, but aint no well rounded underrated PG like Lowry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ View Post
Iguodala reportedly extends with GSW.
For how much?

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2017, 15:52
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ View Post
strange deal, I wonder why Celtics or Rockets didn't go for him? Do they think he'll sign with the Lakers no matter what next summer?

also, could the East get any weaker?
Defenitely the bolded bit, wouldnt make sense otherwise its OKC as the destination. IMO this is just a one year layover, isnt both him and Westbrook free agents next summer? Imagine both them going to Lakers together, and their hometown.

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2017, 16:42
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Damn shit move quickly, just few hours after trading Rubio already reported to signed Jeff Teague for 3 year deal worth 57m (19 a year), was hoping for a cheaper deal then that, but its nice to have an offensive PG atleast. He is barely younger then Lowry anyways, but I guess they considered Lowry to pricey to even engage I'm assuming.

West too stacked now tho, Bulls and Indiana are tanking in East while more and more talent come to west.

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2017, 18:15
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/stat...%3Ft%3D1587506

@Andy Christ @rilla_

post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2017, 00:47 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Interesting...he did seem to decline a bit last season but he's still a pretty good player.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in