2014 FIBA World Cup - Xtratime Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2014, 19:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International
 
SacHercegovac's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2011
Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
Posts: 7,189
2014 FIBA World Cup



The groups:



The heavy favorites coming into the tournament are definitely USA and Spain, with perhaps France right behind them. The brackets are set up for a Spain-USA final.

I thought USA had it coming into the tournament until the George injury and then KD pulling out. Now I tip Spain as slight favorites with the tournament being in their country and their amazing depth and chemistry.

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
SacHercegovac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2014, 20:41
World Class Player
 
Join Date: 08 2006
Location: USA
Teams: Republic of Albania NT
Posts: 8,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacHercegovac View Post

I thought USA had it coming into the tournament until the George injury and then KD pulling out. Now I tip Spain as slight favorites with the tournament being in their country and their amazing depth and chemistry.

Cousins
Davis
Gay/Thomson
Rose/Harden
Curry/Irving/Lillard

Don't know man. That team looks pretty damn good compared to their competition, especially offensively. Spain is overrated because people are desperate to give USA some competition.
LedZep is offline  
post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2014, 01:05 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International
 
SacHercegovac's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2011
Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
Posts: 7,189
The thing is, without Durant, there is no true on this team. I can't see one guy separate themselves (besides a 100% D-Rose) from the bunch and willing the team to victory. The whole team was centered around KD...

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
SacHercegovac is offline  
 
post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2014, 02:26
YBC
Legend
 
Join Date: 06 2011
Posts: 12,331
No Bosnia, no surprise there
YBC is offline  
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2014, 14:59
International
 
shiaben's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2010
Location: California
Teams: FC Berdyev
Posts: 7,461
I see the U.S. winning it. Though it would be awesome if they got their asses kicked

I hate it because the situation is like playing against a bunch of amateurs.

Not fair competitive wise.
shiaben is offline  
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2014, 21:15 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International
 
SacHercegovac's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2011
Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
Posts: 7,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBlueCoke View Post
No Bosnia, no surprise there
Gtfo.

Do you even understand the qualifying process or you just always want to shit on BiH?

I bet we qualify withe the expansion to 32 teams and a better qualifying peocess coming up.

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
SacHercegovac is offline  
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2014, 21:35
YBC
Legend
 
Join Date: 06 2011
Posts: 12,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacHercegovac View Post
Gtfo.

Do you even understand the qualifying process or you just always want to shit on BiH?

I bet we qualify withe the expansion to 32 teams and a better qualifying peocess coming up.
Yep, we're always the last one there

No surprise to see Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia in the tournament though.
YBC is offline  
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2014, 22:18
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend
 
Andy Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Teams: Estonia
Posts: 47,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacHercegovac View Post
The thing is, without Durant, there is no true on this team. I can't see one guy separate themselves (besides a 100% D-Rose) from the bunch and willing the team to victory. The whole team was centered around KD...
they don't need a no. 1...they need a good and balanced lineup which shouldn't be too hard to accomplish given how shockingly dominant US basketball selection pool is on the global stage. Maybe too many defensively suspect ball-hoggers and chuckers in the back court (which was what sank them in Athens 2004...really 100% an issue of horrible team selection) but they probably have good enough front court to take this title.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? AndÖ.itís the football, thatís the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Andy Christ is offline  
post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2014, 23:10 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International
 
SacHercegovac's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2011
Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
Posts: 7,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBlueCoke View Post
Yep, we're always the last one there

No surprise to see Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia in the tournament though.
Last? More like 12th in Europe.

And why do you always give meaningless comparisons with other ex-Yu countriues? They're stupid tbh and desparate from you.

---

Anyways, shiaben, what do you think of Iran's chances?

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
SacHercegovac is offline  
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old August 10th, 2014, 23:44
YBC
Legend
 
Join Date: 06 2011
Posts: 12,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacHercegovac View Post
Last? More like 12th in Europe.

And why do you always give meaningless comparisons with other ex-Yu countriues? They're stupid tbh and desparate from you.

---

Anyways, shiaben, what do you think of Iran's chances?
Because we should be as good if not better than them. We used to all have the same coaches and infrastrucure.

How on earth is it desperate? It shows that we're lacking. Hardly meaningless either.

12th in Europe? I don't think so- http://www.fiba.com/rankingmen
YBC is offline  
post #11 of 117 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2014, 02:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International
 
SacHercegovac's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2011
Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
Posts: 7,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBlueCoke View Post
Because we should be as good if not better than them. We used to all have the same coaches and infrastrucure.

How on earth is it desperate? It shows that we're lacking. Hardly meaningless either.

12th in Europe? I don't think so- http://www.fiba.com/rankingmen
Exactly, used to. we don't. Not to mention there are players Bogdanovic (Croatia), Begic (Slovenia), Kuzmic (Serbia), Preldzic (Turkey), etc. that don't play for us.

Fvck the rankings, look at the Eurobasket where there are actualy results. We finished 12th and had more wins than some teams in the second ound. We beat Lithuania, one of the best in the world.

Btw, over the last few years, we have beaten Croatia, Slovenia, Macedonia, and Montenegro.

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
SacHercegovac is offline  
post #12 of 117 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2014, 05:07
International
 
shiaben's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2010
Location: California
Teams: FC Berdyev
Posts: 7,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacHercegovac View Post
Last? More like 12th in Europe.

And why do you always give meaningless comparisons with other ex-Yu countriues? They're stupid tbh and desparate from you.

---

Anyways, shiaben, what do you think of Iran's chances?
At best, the only match we'll probably win is Egypt and if we do manage to win them probably by an average of 10 points, won't be easy.

The last time I paid attention to the team was I think about a year or two ago. One thing I remembered when it came to that first ever match-up against the U.S. was that our team relied a whole lot on jump shooting because of their size/athleticism. Even our big man like Haddadi who is 7'2" doesn't have the concept of low post. He prefers to go for short ranged jump shots more than any other shot. Only against the weaker Asian teams does Iran drive more to the basket, use bigs, but against top tiers like U.S. Spain I think they struggle to get in the paint and have to rely more on the outside jump shooting. We'll keep these games usually leveled in the first half, but by the time the 2nd half is over the opponent usually blows us out. We're terrible when it comes to perimeter defense, we just cannot defend at all, especially if there are taller shooters like Batum, Durant, etc. this is a nightmare as we give them a good 1-2 feet open to shoot their shots to avoid foul trouble and they end up making that 3 7/10sxs.

I'm interested to see how we'll do against Brazil but when I saw Nene on that roster I feel extremely nervous now

Monster group, I hope we can at least make a few of these matches close/competitive.

BTW YBC don't be so pessimistic. Bosnia will definitely have its chances to qualify in the near future. The fact that ex-Yugo nations and even countries like Turkey are keen to naturalize some of these guys shows that the country produces solid talent. You guys had your first NBA player and for his first year he's done a great job considering how so many European guys go bust, followed it up with a more productive second season. That itself is a light for optimism.

You guys have defeated some solid nations and kept that last game against Serbia respectable regardless if it was a loss. Russia and Turkey didn't even qualify so it is not always going to be easy. I was shocked to see Finland through, I never really thought of them as a basketball nation. But if they pulled through Bosnia definitely should one day.
shiaben is offline  
post #13 of 117 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2014, 09:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International
 
SacHercegovac's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2011
Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
Posts: 7,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
At best, the only match we'll probably win is Egypt and if we do manage to win them probably by an average of 10 points, won't be easy.

The last time I paid attention to the team was I think about a year or two ago. One thing I remembered when it came to that first ever match-up against the U.S. was that our team relied a whole lot on jump shooting because of their size/athleticism. Even our big man like Haddadi who is 7'2" doesn't have the concept of low post. He prefers to go for short ranged jump shots more than any other shot. Only against the weaker Asian teams does Iran drive more to the basket, use bigs, but against top tiers like U.S. Spain I think they struggle to get in the paint and have to rely more on the outside jump shooting. We'll keep these games usually leveled in the first half, but by the time the 2nd half is over the opponent usually blows us out. We're terrible when it comes to perimeter defense, we just cannot defend at all, especially if there are taller shooters like Batum, Durant, etc. this is a nightmare as we give them a good 1-2 feet open to shoot their shots to avoid foul trouble and they end up making that 3 7/10sxs.

I'm interested to see how we'll do against Brazil but when I saw Nene on that roster I feel extremely nervous now

Monster group, I hope we can at least make a few of these matches close/competitive.

BTW YBC don't be so pessimistic. Bosnia will definitely have its chances to qualify in the near future. The fact that ex-Yugo nations and even countries like Turkey are keen to naturalize some of these guys shows that the country produces solid talent. You guys had your first NBA player and for his first year he's done a great job considering how so many European guys go bust, followed it up with a more productive second season. That itself is a light for optimism.

You guys have defeated some solid nations and kept that last game against Serbia respectable regardless if it was a loss. Russia and Turkey didn't even qualify so it is not always going to be easy. I was shocked to see Finland through, I never really thought of them as a basketball nation. But if they pulled through Bosnia definitely should one day.
Yeah Haddadi is the only player I know, I remember from his time with the Grizzlies. Btw, Brazil only qualified through a wildcard. ALthough Nene may have not played for them and thus cost them direct qualification, the rest of the roster who actually did play isn't too great, so you can be optomistic. I will be rooting for you guys.

With te new format, there wil be 12 Euro teams in 2019. Qualifiers will also become FIFA-like, two years and qualifiers will happen during the season. I think we'll have more of a chance like that, because teams like Spain may not receive all their NBA players. Some games are in February FFS.

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
SacHercegovac is offline  
post #14 of 117 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:14
D10S
Premier Player
 
cumi2got's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2012
Location: Kakariko Village
Teams: Tatung FC, FC United, South China, Milan, Man Utd
Posts: 2,124
Some of the renown names in the team

Brazil
C 13 Nene
C 15 Tiago Splitter
PF/C 11 Anderson Varejao
SG 8 Alex Garcia
SG 10 Leandro Barbosa
PG 9 Marcelinho Huertas

Egypt

France
C 14 Ian Mahinmi
PF 13 Boris Diaw
SF/SG 6 Nicolas Batum
SG 10 Evan Fournier

Iran
C 15 Hamed Haddadi

Serbia
C 12 Nenad Krstic
SG 7 Bogdan Bogdanovic
4 PG Milos Teodosic

Spain
C 13 Marc Gasol
PF/C 14 Serge Ibaka
PF/C 4 Pau Gasol
PF 9 Felipe Reyes
SF 10 Victor Claver
SG/SF 5 Rudy Fernandez
SG 6 Sergio Rodriguez
SG 7 Juan Carlos Navarro
PG 11 Ricky Rubio
PG 12 Sergio Llull
PG 8 Jose Calderon
PG 6 Sergio Rodriguez

Argentina
PF/C 4 Luis Scola
SF 12 Walter Herrmann
SF 13 Andres Nocioni
PG 8 Pablo Prigioni

Croatia
C 4 Ante Tomic
PF 12 Damir Markota
PF 8 Dario Saric
SF 9 Damjan Rudez
SF 7 Bojan Bogdanovic
PG 10 Roko Leni Ukic
PG 5 Oliver Lafayette

Greece
C 11 Andreas Glyniadakis
SF 10 Kostas Papanikolaou
PG 6 Nikos Zisis
PG 8 Nick Calathes

Philippines
PF/C 11 Andray Blatche

Puerto Rico
C 15 Daniel Santiago
SF 13 Reynaldo Balkman
PG 5 JJ Barea
PG 7 Carlos Arroyo

Senegal
C Mouhamed Saer Sene

Dominican Rep
SF 9 Francisco Garcia

Finland
C 8 Gerald Lee
PF Erik Murphy
SF 7 Shawn Huff

New Zealand
SF 6 Kirk Penney

Turkey
C 14 Omer Asik
SG 4 Cenk Ayol

Ukraine
PG 5 Eugene Jeter

USA
C 12 DeMarcus Cousins
PF/C 14 Anthony Davis
SG/SF 9 DeMar DeRozan
SG 13 James Harden
PG 4 Stephen Curry
C 15 Andre Drummond
SF 8 Rudy Gay
PF 7 Kenneth Faried
PG 10 Kyrie Irving
C 11 Mason Plumlee
SG 6 Derrick Rose
SG 5 Klay Thompson

Angola

Australia
PF/C 12 Aron Baynes
PF/C 13 David Andersen
PF/C 15 Nathan Jawai
SG 7 Joe Ingles
PG 4 Dante Exum
PG Matthew Belladova

Korea

Lithuania
C 14 Jonas Valanciunas
PF/C 4 Donatas Motiejunas
PG 5 Mantas Kalnietis

Mexico
C 8 Gustavo Ayon
PG 7 Jorge Gutierrez

Slovenia
PF 5 Uros Slokar
SF 13 Domen Lorbek
PG 11 Goran Dragic

Red-Bold means naturalized players, each team allowed one naturalized player.

1st Team
Marc Gasol
Pau Gasol
Rudy Fernandez
James Harden
Goran Dragic

2nd Team
Nenad Krstic
Anthony Davis
Boris Diaw
Leandro Barbosa
Pablo Prigioni

Spain will win the tournament. MVP; Pau Gasol

Nulli Secundus in Oriente

Last edited by cumi2got; August 25th, 2014 at 10:08.
cumi2got is offline  
post #15 of 117 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2014, 18:41
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend
 
Andy Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Teams: Estonia
Posts: 47,036
Team USA final squad:

PG: Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls), Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors), Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers).

SG: James Harden (Houston Rockets), Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors), DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors).

SF: Rudy Gay (Sacramento Kings).

PF: Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans), Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets).

C: DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings), Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons), Mason Plumlee (Brooklyn Nets)

strange unbalanced lineup, not much depth on forwards positions...probably will be enough to take the title though

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? AndÖ.itís the football, thatís the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Andy Christ is offline  
post #16 of 117 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2014, 21:17
Legend
 
Kiyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2000
Teams: Los Merengues, La Furia Roja, Teem Melli
Posts: 17,451
Ironically the worst player on the squad - Rudy Gay - doesn't have much competition in his position.

I imagine James Harden aka 'Best player in the World' - according to him- will try to take over games and be the #1.

Happy that DeMar made the squad.

sup
Kiyan is offline  
post #17 of 117 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2014, 22:09 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International
 
SacHercegovac's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2011
Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
Posts: 7,189
Sorry, Gay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Plumlee

EDIT: Oh yeah you're a Raptors fan. I understand now.

He's improved. A lot.

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
SacHercegovac is offline  
post #18 of 117 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2014, 04:42
International
 
shiaben's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2010
Location: California
Teams: FC Berdyev
Posts: 7,461
The U.S. to defeat Spain in the final. Just too good for the rest of the competition.
shiaben is offline  
post #19 of 117 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2014, 01:42
Rising Star
 
matrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2010
Teams: Inter, Iran NT
Posts: 393
Parsons got dropped lol.

Feel bad for Lillard because PG is really stacked.
matrix is offline  
post #20 of 117 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2014, 10:10
D10S
Premier Player
 
cumi2got's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2012
Location: Kakariko Village
Teams: Tatung FC, FC United, South China, Milan, Man Utd
Posts: 2,124
USA really sending a weird team, 4 potential centers and fully stacked at guards.
What's their strategy? No wing play or drives? Purely shooters and inside games?

Nulli Secundus in Oriente
cumi2got is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome