Charlotte Bobcats 0 0%
Other 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 347 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2014, 06:58 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Teams: AS Roma
NBA Playoffs 2014

It will soon start, as its looking Spurs are overwhelming favorites to win it all this season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 347 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2014, 07:06
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
I don't necessarily see an "overwhelming" favorite right now. OKC, Spurs, and the Heat are probably top contenders with Indiana right below.

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
post #3 of 347 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2014, 09:53 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Spurs playing the best basketball this year, you cannot say same for heat or pacers.

Like I said last year, when a team achieves a historical feat like 27 game win streak..its damn impossible for them to lose the title that year.

I say same for spurs this year they pulled a 19 game streak... such a bball leads to title.

post #4 of 347 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2014, 10:06
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Miami Heat...nobody can stop LeBron!!!

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #5 of 347 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2014, 10:25 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ View Post
Miami Heat...nobody can stop LeBron!!!

coca cola
post #6 of 347 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2014, 10:26
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pasquale View Post
Spurs playing the best basketball this year, you cannot say same for heat or pacers.

Like I said last year, when a team achieves a historical feat like 27 game win streak..its damn impossible for them to lose the title that year.

I say same for spurs this year they pulled a 19 game streak... such a bball leads to title.
What you're not taking into account are injuries, a potentially difficult run in the West, players choking, crazy ref decisions etc.

I see the contenders OKC, Heat, and Spurs like Sac said. But no overwhelming favorites. The Heat can still beat the Spurs. The Spurs can probably beat the Heat. OKC is a bad match-up for the Spurs, the Heat are a bad match-up for OKC.

With that in mind, I'll wait till all the games finish, so we can see how a potential run will look like from the West or the East. Then I'll make a fantasy pick. I'll also post what will happen each round a day or two prior to the first games of the playoffs.
post #7 of 347 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2014, 11:14 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Anything possible, am reading that since 2001 only 3 teams that finished with best record in nba won the title ( Spurs 2003, Heat 2013, Boston 2008).

More or less last 10 years only 2 teams managed this feat, if spurs fail to win it this year.
post #8 of 347 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2014, 05:46
G.O.A.T. Galaxian
Premier Player

Teams: LA Galaxy, Armenian NT, USMNT
There will be no such thing as an upset in the Western Conference playoffs.

That being said, Clippers will beat the Warriors in five, at the most.
post #9 of 347 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2014, 09:58
Laziale, Independent
International

Teams: Lazio; M.City; ALB
I voted for Miami but anyone but Spurs and the Heat for me would do it.

Lazio midfield 1999: ** Nedved - Veron - Simeone - Conceicao

Lazio midfield, 13.12.2009: ** Kolarov - Firmani - Del Nero - Lichtsteiner
post #10 of 347 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2014, 20:11
International

Clippers vs. Warriors
Rockets vs. Trail Blazers

post #11 of 347 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2014, 03:16
Forum Manager
International

Will miss the first day of the Playoffs because of a wedding I'm going to in San Jose. Hopefully there are some early morning start times though.

- Firdaus
post #12 of 347 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2014, 06:44
International

Alright guys the games are pretty much wrapped up. Let's throw in prediction runs.

Eastern Conference:

Indiana Pacers vs Atlanta Hawks
(Pacers in 6)

The Hawks are missing Al Horford whose arguably their best player. Antic is good but Horford would have done more damage against Hibbert. Atlanta has the better point guard and Milsap at this point is probably better than West. But with Korver as the shooter, and Carroll pitted against Paul George, it could make things tough for Atlanta. Indiana has a big enough bench to survive problems in the first series and a guy like CJ Watson can help reduce turnovers.

Miami Heat vs Charlotte Bobcats
(Heat in 5)

This one is a no brainer. Even without Wade, the Heat give the Bobcats a lot of fits. Gilchrist has a difficult time with James, which small forward doesn't? James will get his points. Kemba Walker is a score minded guard who will need to be aggressive and also find Big Al. The problem is Gilchrist and Henderson are not good outside shooters, this is why Miami crushes this team. Gary Neal will have to step it up for Charlotte and that's not enough. Charlotte could try to go in the paint and get some post points by Big Al. But the speed and Miami defense will frustrate the hell out of the Bobcats.

Toronto Raptors vs Brooklyn Nets
(Nets in 6)

The Raptors have a back court that will do some damage against the Nets. The Nets are a terrible away team so logically we should have some kind of a series. As bad as Williams and Johnson are, the Nets have some guys who have stepped up this season and are willing to take more responsibility for their efforts. Teletovic, Thornton, and Plumlee have been excellent pieces add to that with the playoff experience of Livingston, Pierce, Garnett, and Kirilenko, and you have a team that's much more mentally disciplined to come through.

Chicago Bulls vs Washington Wizards
(Bulls in 5)

John Wall will feature in his first playoff series. He has a great size and athleticism advantage at the point guard position. But the Bulls are much better as a team. We play suffocating defense and get the stops. Noah is going to be a huge problem for the Wizards. Add to that the Wizards are streaky perimeter shooters so once we close down the paint and force this team to shoot it up, that's where they'll struggle to find themselves in the game.

Western Conference:

San Antonio Spurs vs Dallas Mavericks
(Spurs in 5)

Spurs have been 9-0 against the Mavericks in recent years. They are a bad match-up. With that said some of the games will be very close. Nowitzki is a playoff star and with the experience of Marion and the athletic scoring punch of Ellis, they will play a very physical heated first round series. But with that said the Spurs are just too high on firepower and excellent defenders.

Oklahoma City Thunder vs Memphis Grizzlies
(Thunder in 7)

Another good playoff first series match-up. The Grizzlies don't make too many silly turnovers and are a team that plays very physical. They've added a shooter in Mike Miller. The Thunder are shooting machines while the Grizzlies prefer to pound it in the paint. One team will attempt to slow things down while the other will speed things up. These match-ups are usually entertaining but with that said with Westbrook back in the lineup, the Thunder should be favorites.

LA Clippers vs Golden State Warriors
(Clippers in 5)

Mark Jackson's Warriors have not gotten better even after upgrading the bench. The Clippers on the other hand are a completely different team after the Del Negro to Doc Rivers switch. This match-up feels different in the past where the Clippers really struggled with the Warriors. Griffin will show you why he's arguably the best power forward in this series and really attack their lane considering their rim protection has dropped big time. His jump shot is much improved and the Clippers have enough perimeter talent to match-up with Curry and Thompson.

Houston Rockets vs Portland Trailblazers
(Rockets in 5)

The Portland Trailblazers have a young solid point guard in Damian Lillard. It is interesting to see how he does in his first playoffs. The Trailblazers have a good starting 5 to work with but with that said there are several obvious problems. The Trailblazer bench doesn't show up well on either end of the floor for this team. The starting 5 has too many guys who have had a lot of games this season where they end up becoming invisible and fading. Batum has been very quiet, Matthews should be stepping it up but has disappeared in a ton of games, and this leaves a lot of pressure on the backs of Lillard and Aldridge to do everything. The Rocket on the other hand have starters who distribute the offense evenly and in Howard's absences guys like Jones and Parsons have been kicking ass.

Based on this run, it seems the Heat could potentially go Bobcats, Nets, then Pacers or even Bulls.

When it comes to the Spurs, they'll probably have to go through Mavericks, Rockets, and Thunder as worst case scenario.

Based on the pre-playoff predictions, the Heat have a much easier run in comparison. This is why if teams are injury free, the Heat have it much easier than the Spurs. So should the two meet or even the Thunder meet the Heat, the Heat would still be favorites to win the title.

But anyways let's take this one series at a time considering anything can happen in the playoffs, if a key guy like LeBron picks up an injury all of a sudden you have multiple favorites for the title.
post #13 of 347 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2014, 08:00
Premier Player

Teams: Fenerbahçe SK, Footscray FC
You'd think the top 4 from the West will all win the series, heres hoping the Warriors can take out the Clippers though. Picking a Spurs v Pacers final, then again it is way too early.
post #14 of 347 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2014, 13:52
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
The Chicago STING !!!!! :dielaugh:

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
post #15 of 347 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2014, 12:28
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

rating the 1st round pairs in order of interest:

Clippers vs Warriors (should be some cool attacking bball and maybe GSW wakes up for the playoffs)

Rockets vs Blazers (should have some beautiful high scoring bball to offer and anything can happen, Houston is a very inconsistent team)

Raptors vs Nets (might easily go to 7 games...I hope Toronto takes this)

Thunder vs Grizzlies (can't see OKC screwing it up but Memphis will make it tough for them)

Spurs vs Mavs (Dirk vs Timmy is a cool veteran matchup in this Texas derby...no doubt about the result though)

Bulls vs Wizards (I expect Wizards to win a game or two but Bulls defense and discipline will prove to be deciding)

Heat vs Bobcats (might watch a game or two just to practice rooting against the Heat before meaningful series start...probably will end in a blowout)

Pacers vs Hawks

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #16 of 347 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2014, 16:33
International

There are some new key potential players to watch out for in most of the series.

Lillard will be the guy to look out for in the Trailblazers while Jones will be the guy for the Rockets.

For the Raptors it will be DeRozan and Terrence Ross while for the New Jersey Nets it will be Plumlee, Teletovic, and Thornton.

For the Thunder Adams, Lamb, and Jones.

With the Wizards eyes will be on John Wall and Bradley Beal.

And finally with the Bobcats Walker, Gilchrist, and Zeller.
post #17 of 347 (permalink) Old April 19th, 2014, 11:02
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

TJones seems to be quite a reliable player already. good fighter on the boards and has a fine FG% as he doesn't do dumb shots and has lots of 2nd chance points and dunks.

But I don't think he'll be the key...Parsons and Harden tend to be the ones whose shooting decides the fate of Houston on any particular day.

post #18 of 347 (permalink) Old April 19th, 2014, 17:32
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ View Post
TJones seems to be quite a reliable player already. good fighter on the boards and has a fine FG% as he doesn't do dumb shots and has lots of 2nd chance points and dunks.

But I don't think he'll be the key...Parsons and Harden tend to be the ones whose shooting decides the fate of Houston on any particular day.
I heard George Karl went brave on this one. He's going Portland Trailblazers in 7. I think his decision was on Damian Lillard taking control of the series with the Rockets lacking a dominant point guard.

Parsons is a streaky shooter, but I think (This is his 2nd playoffs I believe) so he might show up a bit better.

IMHO even though Houston lacks a strong point guard, I think McHale will have Harden try to avoid overdoing it too much on offense and still try to get the 7-8 assists per night while dropping 30-35. The nice thing about Houston is their starting 4-5 are much more consistent than Portland's starting 5. This is an awesome series and there will definitely be a lot of action. One of the more interesting match-ups like the Raptors and Nets
post #19 of 347 (permalink) Old April 19th, 2014, 18:26
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

I honestly wouldn't even be surprised if Portland even wins it in 6 or 5...I've watched Rockets a lot this season and they're just not a solid defensive team nor do they look like a team with a lot of mental strength...they can easily completely disintegrate in a series against any other strong team.

Then again they may also get into a great playoff roll and go all the way to the conference finals...or at least give Spurs a serious scare in the semis. The thing is they do have the quality in their team to beat pretty much anybody. It's the consistency and defensive solidness they've been lacking too often so far. Nothing would really surprise me when it comes to Rockets in the playoffs.

post #20 of 347 (permalink) Old April 19th, 2014, 18:57
Forum Manager
International

Raptors really shouldn't be this close right now tbh.

- Firdaus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in