NBA Draft 2014 - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Who shall be the 1st pick of the legendary 2014 draft?
Andrew Wiggins 4 50.00%
Julius Randle 1 12.50%
Joel Embiid 1 12.50%
Jabari Parker 1 12.50%
somebody else 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 145 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2014, 19:02 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
NBA Draft 2014

Wiggins still leading mock drafts, Embiid second, Parker 3rd, Randle 4th.

Marcus Smart is predicted to go 6th and Aaron Gordon 8th.

The biggest fails compared to autumn 2013 have been the Harrison twins whose stock has been in a freefall the entire season and now are rated 59th and 62nd in Top 100 prospects by Draftexpress and not expected to declare for this year's draft. James McAdoo has fallen even lower and is currently seen only as 82nd prospect.

I noticed some 280 lbs Bosnian monster named Jusuf Nurkic is predicted to go 11th. And the croatian Dario Saric who Draftexpress has been hyping for years is 9th in the latest mock draft. Serbian Bogdan Bogdanovic predicted to go in late first round.

They don't expect another highly rated Balcunt, Barca's wingman Mario Hezonja to join this year's draft.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 145 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2014, 19:08 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

and Embiid will enter draft this year, credible sources confirmed today: http://nba.si.com/2014/03/27/joel-em...nsas-jayhawks/

he had some weird stress fracture in his back which might be a red flag for some teams a la Noel's injury last year.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 145 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2014, 19:12
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
booooooring !!!!!

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero

post #4 of 145 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2014, 19:19 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

thanks for the input, fag

post #5 of 145 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2014, 20:16
Rising Star

I know more about the European players to be honest and indeed there are a lot of players from the Balkans in this years draft, right now the most dominant of the bunch is Bogdanović, the biggest talent is probably Šarić. It is always hard to predict how European players will adapt to the NBA. Here in Slovenia we had 8 players go to the NBA, Goran Dragič was probably rated the lowest out of all of them, but ended up having by far the best career.
post #6 of 145 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2014, 21:10 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

There's another Serb Vasilije Micic predicted to go in early 2nd round. I don't know a whole lot about those Balkan players, would be interesting to hear some opinions and predictions.

post #7 of 145 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2014, 22:52 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

I also checked some 2015 mock drafts and next year finally seems to be a year of some great center prospects: top 2 Jahlil Okafor and Myles Turner are both considered very promising and Karl Towns (already a legit 7-foorter at age 18) might be a good player too.

post #8 of 145 (permalink) Old March 28th, 2014, 05:22
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ View Post
There's another Serb Vasilije Micic predicted to go in early 2nd round. I don't know a whole lot about those Balkan players, would be interesting to hear some opinions and predictions.
For Nurkic he's who has great defensive potential. He is very versatile on offense having a good post game, is a good passer (especially out of the paint), and is very quick for a seven footer. Also is a beast on the boards. He is only 19, as well, so plenty of time to work on some weaknesses. He has been drawing many comparisons to Nikola Pekovic.

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
post #9 of 145 (permalink) Old March 28th, 2014, 05:26
Forum Manager
International

Also there is another future BiH prospect, Nedim Dedovic (brother of Nihad Dedovic of Bayern Munich). Certainly will be better than his brother. Nihad currently plays for Barca, probably a youth team but not sure. Definitely one of our one or teo best prospects ( and we have a golden generation coming up).

- Firdaus
post #10 of 145 (permalink) Old March 28th, 2014, 15:09
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
About the actual draft of 2014...this is going to be one of the most exciting, hilarious, unpredictable drafts of this season. Last season there were a ton of good role-player material in the first round (expected). This season though is much loaded in comparison but keep in mind there's also a ton of bust potential considering numerous amounts of freshman, guys that are potentially injury prone, anything can happen. We could see some beautiful gems dug out in the late 1st round/ early 2nd round. Don't be surprised.

The Big 3: We're pretty much familiar with the potentials of Parker, Embiid, and Wiggins. My feelings are Parker will probably stay because of Duke's 2015 talent. If not he's still a lock for the top 3. Embiid will probably get drafted by any of the teams except for Philadelphia who don't want two potentially injury prone star centers in one roster. It could **** up their rebuilding processes big time. They're investing time and effort into Noel as that potential big man and MCW as their point guard, so a wing man would make more sense to get them closer to NBA readiness.

The rest:

This is where it starts getting messy. From draft #4 and over, the picks are going to be crazy. They'll probably be tailored to position needs, potential impacts for big franchises hoping to get it together ASAP, etc. think Lakers, Celtics etc. Which is why Marcus Smart is not a lock from that point on. Here are some of the big names to look out for

-Marcus Smart- I think his level is like Kemba Walker. A guy with energy and effort but it remains to be seen how much serious impact he'd have as a starting point guard if he gets the opportunity

-Aaron Gordon- This guy I think is a potential steal for anyone that can get close enough to obtain him after the big 3. He's even said himself that he's willing to work harder on his jumper to make himself flexible for the NBA, should he divide minutes between the 3 or the 4. Worse comes to worse he'll end up a high energy forward in the vein of Kenneth Faried which is useful for any franchise. The further Arizona goes in the NCAA, the more attractive this guy's stock, especially if he can help Arizona take out Wisconsin.

-Dante Exum- So far we only have hype about this guy. Could end up anywhere from 6-12 but I won't comment on him as I seriously no nothing about him. He's like the Ricky Rubio of 2014, a box of chocolates. I still would go with a guy like Aaron Gordon over him or Smart, as I know what I'm getting at least.

-Kyle Anderson- lol this kid was early hype from UCLA fanboys and some idiots early in the season, but all that hype talk disappeared when he started unleashing his potential this season as a point-forward. Dick Vitale and his Magic Johnson comparison was a hilarious one but he does have a serious point. One thing he actually does share with Magic (besides height) is that he's extremely calm in his demeanor and display. He doesn't have to speed things up at all which makes him perfect for half-court basketball. His passing ability and anticipation is solid. His jumper, 3 pointer, and floater seem about NBA-ready. The transition from winger (freshman year) to point-forward this season was smooth without too many hassles at all. The only thing this kid needs is defense and speed as in the NBA he'll be pressed like no tomorrow and to guard guys at his height will be a huge challenge should he play the 2/3, but I'm more than sure he'll develop those gradually after several seasons.

-Julius Randle vs Vonleh- A lot of debate about which is better. Randle has a lot of power and usually ends up getting his way. Vonleh is similar though his defense and rebounding are better.

-Doug McDermott- While Creighton didn't advance far in the tournament, Doug makes up for a lack of athleticism with his great shooting touch, fair passing, and good basketball IQ. His defense and speed will be problematic and need lots of work in the NBA, but I think staying four years in school and putting up a good stat offensive stat sheet will have him prepared as a significant role player on any NBA team. I think he could be like Kyle Singler.

-Adreian Payne- Another very good senior to look at. Michigan State are heavy favorites by many fans and pundits for the title. Virginia will be a great test for Payne. He's one of the few true power forwards in this draft. He can face-up, post-up, has an excellent 3 point shot, better yet, he broke the record for most and accurate free throw attempts 17/17. The only down side is his handling and low motor. There are times where he's invisible and some other times where he's just not as active as he should be. Sometimes opts to take a poor looking lazy jump shot rather than attack the paint with force.

There are some potential good shooters in this draft like like Early, Young, Hood, and a few others.

But one guy that's being overlooked big time is Nik Stauskas. His foot speed is his biggest weakness besides the expected defending and lack of athleticism. He did have two games in the regular season where he was shutdown badly. But his handling, passing abilities, beautiful step-back, amazing off the ball abilities, basketball IQ, can make him an instant upgrade over Kyle Korver. So with that said I think this guy is the major sleeper in the first round. I think if guys like Reddick, Korver, Belinelli, are coachable after a few years of development, this kid should be better an even better prospect under the right coach or management in the NBA. I'm going to call him the later round sleeper in this draft.

Zach LaVine is one guy who didn't play much for UCLA coming off the bench, he could be one of the more hidden one and done potentials which also IMHO leaves room to make him one of the biggest bust potentials as well considering he didn't play too many minutes. He's got monster speed and athleticism, a good jump shot, some raw comparison to Westbrook in terms of potential, but if I were him I would stay another season in UCLA and run the point. I think he's one of the biggest/dangerous risks for a franchise that hopes they can turn him into a hidden star.
post #11 of 145 (permalink) Old March 28th, 2014, 15:44
Rising Star

Teams: AC Milan
Embiid's sudden change of mind regarding draft position tells me his back problems could lead to being a chronic underlying issue, definetly a red flag after he was saying all the best centers stay for 2+ seasons and that he wanted to emulate them..

Smart is actually really good, defensively a beast, he's going to be a solid player but not a star player. Best case scenario would be like a Conley maybe, but i'm not sure if he'll reach that level. I don't rate him over Exum btw, exum is only untested in college, he is very tested internationally and has consistently shown the goods. I am biased of course but I think if Lakers draft him he will be a big success, he reminds of Penny a lot, just his size and game. He is however, not as good as Penny with handles (still a bit loose) and his shot isn't quite there; but the size and athleticism is. Exum would go #4 for me, over Randle for sure (Smart at 5)

I think a mock draft depends on who is going first; Kings if they get the #1 which i doubt, would take Embiid. If Kings got Embiid (and if Embiid stays healthy) they would instantly become a long-term success with their core. I personally think Parker would be best fit as #1 on most teams (maybe 76ers should prefer Wiggins) just because he is a much better offensive weapon than Wiggins

I see McDermott being AmMo v2 but i think that 'fear' will lead to him being a late draft pickup, suns will be floating around him with one of their picks. I stillt hink he will bust but he will probably be a good value pick.
post #12 of 145 (permalink) Old March 28th, 2014, 15:51
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ View Post
Wiggins still leading mock drafts, Embiid second, Parker 3rd, Randle 4th.

Marcus Smart is predicted to go 6th and Aaron Gordon 8th.

The biggest fails compared to autumn 2013 have been the Harrison twins whose stock has been in a freefall the entire season and now are rated 59th and 62nd in Top 100 prospects by Draftexpress and not expected to declare for this year's draft. James McAdoo has fallen even lower and is currently seen only as 82nd prospect.

I noticed some 280 lbs Bosnian monster named Jusuf Nurkic is predicted to go 11th. And the croatian Dario Saric who Draftexpress has been hyping for years is 9th in the latest mock draft. Serbian Bogdan Bogdanovic predicted to go in late first round.

They don't expect another highly rated Balcunt, Barca's wingman Mario Hezonja to join this year's draft.

Nurkic shouldn't be around 11th. That sounds way off. And if that's based on draft express's Philadelphia pick they must be high or something. He'll probably be around 20-22. Should Philadelphia pick Embiid on potential (even though they have Nerlens Noel), I think they'll go with some winger to complement MCW.

I think the Lakers will decide potentially between Dante Exum or Marcus Smart.

The Boston Celtics can decide whether or not they want to focus first on the back-court, or on the front-court. If they opt for back-court, Nike Stauskus would be a huge brave pick. As much as I like his potential, I don't see them making the move. I think they'll hope to steal Gordon as their primary wish, if not decide between Vonleh or Randle as alternatives.

I'm curious to see what's on the mind of the major franchises or those that are close to getting their shit together to make the playoffs.

The Bulls are linked with Gordon, Anderson, Hood, and Warren given we lack depth in the wings. We won't be anywhere near a position for a good point guard in this draft. At least a franchise level one. They'll probably hope to see how Rose does in 2015 and ideally draft a point guard then.

Of these choices, Hood and Warren, though they've had a lot of consistent shooting games in the college season, I think would be weak prospects for a franchise looking to get its shit back together ASAP. If I were GM I would decide between Gordon or Anderson, both next to Stauskus are probably the underrated gems of this draft. If we get Gordon, him and Butler, would be a nightmare combination against opponents wings. If we go with Anderson, we'll get a point-forward who can fill in Derrick Rose's absence or play the 3 which makes him flexible, and who knows where we could go from there.
post #13 of 145 (permalink) Old March 28th, 2014, 15:56
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleloy View Post
Embiid's sudden change of mind regarding draft position tells me his back problems could lead to being a chronic underlying issue, definetly a red flag after he was saying all the best centers stay for 2+ seasons and that he wanted to emulate them..

Smart is actually really good, defensively a beast, he's going to be a solid player but not a star player. Best case scenario would be like a Conley maybe, but i'm not sure if he'll reach that level. I don't rate him over Exum btw, exum is only untested in college, he is very tested internationally and has consistently shown the goods. I am biased of course but I think if Lakers draft him he will be a big success, he reminds of Penny a lot, just his size and game. He is however, not as good as Penny with handles (still a bit loose) and his shot isn't quite there; but the size and athleticism is. Exum would go #4 for me, over Randle for sure (Smart at 5)

I think a mock draft depends on who is going first; Kings if they get the #1 which i doubt, would take Embiid. If Kings got Embiid (and if Embiid stays healthy) they would instantly become a long-term success with their core. I personally think Parker would be best fit as #1 on most teams (maybe 76ers should prefer Wiggins) just because he is a much better offensive weapon than Wiggins

I see McDermott being AmMo v2 but i think that 'fear' will lead to him being a late draft pickup, suns will be floating around him with one of their picks. I stillt hink he will bust but he will probably be a good value pick.
Yeah it depends on the order. This season is all about needs. There's been so much changes in management. Teams want to get their shit in order. It is hard to say which players in this draft are franchise changers. There are a few I see that have the potential. But no sure-fire ones because of the one and dones which come with weaknesses to work on. A lot of athletic specimens who are hoping to work under the right management.
post #14 of 145 (permalink) Old March 28th, 2014, 19:03
International

There's so many damn shooters in this draft. I think honestly there are more wingers than colleges combined lol! That leaves you with the speculation, how many will become James Hardens? How many Kyle Thompsons? Like I said, so many that there's potential for plenty star/bust material.

With that said I want to throw out my sleepers/steals of this draft (guys that are considered in most mocks outside of the top 10 but within the first round)

-Adreian Payne- There's not that many power forwards in this draft which makes this the more interesting. He's a senior with a lot of experience. I think his injury in the middle of the season, and his invisibility sometimes (taking the lazy jumper instead of taking it to the hoop), might mislead people to thinking he's mediocre lazy bastard. I won't be surprised if the Bulls consider him as a potential option considering he's a well-disciplined senior.

-Nik Stauskas- His stock is unpredictable because there were a few ugly games this season like the one against Duke where he was completely shutdown. These kinds of games are a turn off but hey when a guy like Parker, Wiggins, has shit performances too you can give Nik a break. If he's able to survive Tennessee his draft stock should surely rise. This season rather than being a spot-up shooter he's been displaying it all on the offensive-end. He could be a Korver version 3.0 (handling, drive, passing, off the ball movement).

-Kyle Anderson- Has a little bit of everything on the offensive-end, especially the passing ability arguably his best feature. Looks pretty polished. The big red marks are foot speed, defense, body. But playing under Ben Howland his first season, and then playing under Steve Alford should make him somewhat NBA ready psychologically.

-Zach LaVine- This is the most controversial and arguably could end up becoming the biggest steal of the draft. This guy's speed and athleticism are up there with Aaron Gordon and Andrew Wiggins. That right there is screaming in terms of potential. His shooting stroke is also decent. The only down side is his playing time was limited this season and his decision-making and anticipation. This is natural considering the lack of playing time. He needs to learn how to use his teammates (considering his handles are pretty decent), know when to drive and when to shoot (sometimes settles just for shooting rather than taking on opponents). Worse come to worse he could be an OJ Mayo type. But if his transition game translates in the NBA and should his decision-making improve and if he's able to adapt into a point guard position considering he's 6'3" (not 6'5" as listed), he could have a similar ceiling/potential to a Westbrook type.

Honorable mention: Cleanthony Early IMHO could be the steal of the second round considering he's projected late first/early 2nd (He might be pushed to the 2nd if the draft becomes filled with more international prospects). He's a hard worker who showed a lot of grit against big conference teams, he even put up a fight against Kentucky dropping 5 threes on them and showed will great zeal trying to guard Randle.
post #15 of 145 (permalink) Old March 28th, 2014, 21:12
G.O.A.T. Galaxian
Premier Player

Teams: LA Galaxy, Armenian NT, USMNT
LaVine is definitely the high risk/high reward guy, but I just don't see it in him.

Jordan Adams will be a steal IF he declares, which I hope he does not.

My top five, in order:

1] Jabari Parker, though he may return.
2] Julius Randle
3] Andrew Wiggins
4] Marcus Smart
5] Joel Embiid (Back issues will scare teams after the injury concerns of other big men such as Andrew Bynum & Greg Oden. Look how far Nerlens Noel fell last year due to injury)
post #16 of 145 (permalink) Old March 28th, 2014, 23:59
Forum Manager
International

Good posts, shiaben.

Btw, Nurkic will definitely go later than 11th, probably around 20. Or, at least he should, he'll become a good starter at best.

- Firdaus
post #17 of 145 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2014, 00:25
10'un Adi Lefter
World Class Player

Teams: Fenerbahçe, Juventus, PSV, Santos
lol "Legendary"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila View Post
That was a shot. However, when he hits those trivelas one of two things happen-

1-Joshua has an orgasm.

2-Queresma scoress, and Joshua has an orgasm.

This time he got a lucky assist, but you can still bet Joshua had an orgasm.
post #18 of 145 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2014, 05:08
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacHercegovac View Post
Good posts, shiaben.

Btw, Nurkic will definitely go later than 11th, probably around 20. Or, at least he should, he'll become a good starter at best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx2IXpr5Wzk

These are his pros/cons HLs.

He's raw but given he's getting first round attention at age 19 his future should hopefully be bright
post #19 of 145 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2014, 05:30
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich View Post
LaVine is definitely the high risk/high reward guy, but I just don't see it in him.

Jordan Adams will be a steal IF he declares, which I hope he does not.

My top five, in order:

1] Jabari Parker, though he may return.
2] Julius Randle
3] Andrew Wiggins
4] Marcus Smart
5] Joel Embiid (Back issues will scare teams after the injury concerns of other big men such as Andrew Bynum & Greg Oden. Look how far Nerlens Noel fell last year due to injury)
Sounds fair but I hope Wiggins and even Smart fall under the right management, I can easily see them go bust if they're in a team like Milwaukee or some organization at least that is not sure how to develop their offense and other weaknesses.

DeAndre Kane would make an excellent pick should he fall in the 2nd round. This guy didn't get to play in the NCAA in his four years until transferring to Iowa State. Considering he's a late bloomer whose going to turn 25 soon, that aspect will turn scouts off, but I think as a temporary solution for teams looking to have a solid reliable back-up point guard, he's worth giving plenty of attention to, you can't go wrong. 9 assists, 5 offensive boards, while only having 2 turnovers. That's pretty excellent.
post #20 of 145 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2014, 08:09
Forum Manager
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiaben View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx2IXpr5Wzk

These are his pros/cons HLs.

He's raw but given he's getting first round attention at age 19 his future should hopefully be bright
Yup, I think he'll become better than Teletovic. Also, I think Nedim Dedovic will surpass both.

Back to this draft, who do you guys think the Kings should select? I'm interested to see outsider's opinions. I'll tell you my opinion/Kings fans' consenus (from another forum) later.

- Firdaus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in