March Madness 2014 (Revised) - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: The Likely Winner of 2014?
Florida 2 66.67%
Arizona 0 0%
Virginia 0 0%
Wichita State 0 0%
Syracuse 0 0%
Wisconsin 0 0%
Louisville (Looking to defend) 0 0%
Duke 0 0%
Michigan 1 33.33%
Michigan State 0 0%
Kansas 0 0%
Villanova 0 0%
Creighton 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2014, 06:42 Thread Starter
International

Teams: FC Berdyev
March Madness 2014 (Revised)

I accidentally opened a prediction bracket it seems, but surprisingly the actual bracket is very similar (thanks to the rankings) except Virginia grabbed the final #1 spot, while Michigan lost it and fell to #2 seed.

Official bracket:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...nament/bracket

Wiki format:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NC...all_Tournament
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2014, 07:06 Thread Starter
International

The heavy favorite for player of the year seems to be Doug McDermott. Though Andrew Wiggins and Marcus Smart have received some praise as well.

There's no clear favorites this season. No North Carolina of 2009 or Kentucky of 2012 to make situations overwhelmingly impossible.

A team from a traditionally weaker conference like Wichita State will have its best chances this year than any other year.

I have Florida as the winners but I'll have to look at the brackets again to see who'll be in the final four.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2014, 08:45
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: FC Barcelona
Kansas
Arizona
Michigan
UConn

02/05/2009
Estadio : Santiago Bernabéu
Real Madrid 2 - 6 FC Barcelona
Higuain 14'
Thierry Henry 17'
Carles Puyol 20'
Lionel Messi 35'
Sergio Ramos 56'
Thierry Henry 58'
Lionel Messi 75'
Gerard Piqué 82'

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2014, 12:24 Thread Starter
International

South: Florida
West: Arizona
East: Michigan State
MidWest: Wichita State

Florida has only had two losses against two sides that were very good and by small margins. They are an experienced team, deep, very balanced, good coach in Donovan, they have everything going for them so far. Really consistent when it has mattered. VCU and UCLA are not at their level and shouldn't surprise them. Kansas without Embiid is incredibly vulnerable and even with him, they look like an OK team but not too overwhelming. Florida should be cautious of OSU and Syracuse, they might make things tough if they show up, but overall this side of the bracket is doable.

As good as a team Virginia is (especially defensively) I think they will be upset by Michigan State who had a good final run in the regular season.

Arizona has an unusual group but I think they should pull through. San Diego State, Creighton, and Wisconsin are probably their main threats but they should handle them fine if their big men do their job.

The last group is the most exciting in terms of quality and match-ups. My favorite part of the draw. Kentucky is in there but they look very weak and vulnerable this year. I'm not sure how Texas is doing. But with Louisville, Duke, and Michigan in there, its going to be the most unpredictable of the brackets. I think Wichita miraculously will survive this group with experience from last season and the form this season going into the tournament. There's a lot of rematch scenarios in this part of the bracket as well.

Florida-Wichita State final with Florida crushing their close hopes of an NCAA title.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old March 18th, 2014, 00:09
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
Florida
Michigan St.
Arizona
Michigan

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old March 18th, 2014, 00:12
Forum Manager
International

Anyone tryin the Billion Dollar Challenge? I did. Also, top 20 most correct geto $100,000 each.

- Firdaus
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old March 20th, 2014, 19:11
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
http://www.savingadvice.com/articles...cket-scam.html

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old March 20th, 2014, 19:14
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Final 4:

Syracuse
Virginia
Arizona
Louisville

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2014, 19:39
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Mercer beat Duke :thmbup:
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2014, 11:49 Thread Starter
International

Mercer lost to the none-conference likes of Texas, Ohio, Oklahoma, and even to that exciting team from last year Florida Gulf Coast (1x), then enter this tournament, with this stunning performance against Duke. They were the better team, much better shooting from them as a team, all their starters had double digits. Really great for the program, they're also moving from Atlantic Sun Conference to the Southern Conference next season which has better teams, good for their program.

As a Duke fan, I feel we'll perform like shit at the NCAA for a long period of time. Two first round losses is pretty bad, even if they were to solid teams. This latter loss is even worse considering there's two top level picks. If I was Parker and even Hood, I would stay another year in college to develop. Coach K should also go the Connecticut way for once and get some legitimate big man for once, some African guy lol like Connecticut usually does.

Pittsburgh destroyed Colorado by nearly 30 points. They're sending a message to Florida, Florida for sure won't underestimate them as they're a good program with a good coach, could go either way, but if Florida emerges it will probably be a narrow win.

Stephen F. Austin was a strange upset. I didn't see this one coming at all. They could make things interesting against UCLA or they could disappoint.

Dayton another university from Ohio defeats Ohio St. which does great for their confidence. Though I'm sure Syracuse will pull out.

Interesting enough both Oklahoma teams were knocked out. Arizona and San Diego St. are one game away each from a rematch.

Baylor and Creighton are looking good, though I will back Creighton to pull through.
Wisconsin should be able to handle Oregon.

The MidWest looks like its filled with excitement for the 2nd round with games that can easily go either way. Kentucky might look intimidating for Wichita St. given they have one of the best coaches in college basketball in Calipari who can even inspire the best even in his weaker college basketball teams (nearly surprised Florida in the final regular conference game). With that said Wichita St. will look at the tapes and take them very seriously.

Saint Louis has performed pretty solid this season. They lost to Wisconsin and Wichita State by small margins. Beat the likes of Dayton, Richmond, and VCU. Then lost 3 in a row to teams they beat earlier in the season which is bound to happen sometimes. Louisville has a better coach, but Louisville's performances in the regular season to the bigger teams was rather average. I think Saint Louis will surprise them.

The other two games are not as interesting but I'm sure Michigan will survive Texas.

Iowa State was one of those teams that could have gone on a deep run, but now that they lost a key player to a broken foot. Their chances will go down big time. They could now even lose to an average North Carolina next round.
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:31
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
Mercer beat Duke :thmbup:
lol

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:34
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

New Mexico out again in the first round just like last year...

Wichita-Kentucky seems like a cool matchup.

post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2014, 17:28 Thread Starter
International

VCU's mistake was retarded. The guard just had to make sure the guy had a tough look, heck if he was nervous about touching him, let him have the 3. But he had to jump like a retard lol and take the shooter out, leading to a 4 point play to send it to OT.
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:09 Thread Starter
International

Harvard did well against Michigan State considering they had no true big men.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:45
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: FC Barcelona
UConn gettin it done. Dark horse to win it all for me.

02/05/2009
Estadio : Santiago Bernabéu
Real Madrid 2 - 6 FC Barcelona
Higuain 14'
Thierry Henry 17'
Carles Puyol 20'
Lionel Messi 35'
Sergio Ramos 56'
Thierry Henry 58'
Lionel Messi 75'
Gerard Piqué 82'
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:14 Thread Starter
International

They needed an OT in the first round, and beat Villanova which is one of the most overrated teams in the history of the NCAA. They are doing good for their standards, but I don't see anything in UConn to be considered a dark horse.
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2014, 19:38 Thread Starter
International

Kansas is out. Well done Stanford. Not easy when you have a weak bench. Kansas back up big had another big performance but it wasn't enough, especially with Wiggins having a terrible performance.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2014, 01:05
Forum Manager
International

Kentucky defeated Wichita State.

- Firdaus
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2014, 07:23 Thread Starter
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacHercegovac View Post
Kentucky defeated Wichita State.
The most anticipated match came to an end. Tough loss for Wichita State.

Baylor crushed Creighton.

Tennessee wacked Mercer.

Virginia took care of Memphis.

Iowa State survived North Carolina.

The Sweet 16 should have plenty of great matches to look forward to:

I think the most interesting

-Florida-UCLA (In terms of match-up, UCLA has a dangerous back-court, UCLA has had a lot of losses to Florida, wonder if they can survive this time and turn things around)
-Arizona- San Diego St. (rematch, Anaheim will be huge for San Diego St. fans)
-Baylor- Wisconsin (Is Wisconsin still soft? Or will they get past the hump?)
-Kentucky-Louisville (rivalry)
-Virginia-Michigan State (quality defense vs offense)
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2014, 15:31 Thread Starter
International

Jabari Parker should stay another year at school IMHO. Even though its a risk and chances are his ranking will plummet in 2015, could be a mid first rounder. I think it would do great for his development in the NBA. In 2015 Duke will have the best recruitment. They're getting the #1 player in Okafor (he's also the best big), and they're arguably getting the best point guard whose ranked #4 among top players in the nation. Another shooter ranked #8 or 9.

Even though they might not win an NCAA title next season, having a true big man and a good point guard, would allow him to play more naturally in his position and make up for an ugly round 1 loss that's stuck in the minds of everyone. If he enters the NBA this season he'll obviously make more money as a top pick, he has an NBA ready body, but if he lands in a dumb organization and if he's not prepared for the challenge, he could destroy at least the first half of his career.

Our depth chart next season (possibly):

Bigs: Okafor, Plumlee, Jefferson
Wings: Sulaimon, Kennard, Winslow
Guard: Cook, Jones

A lot of balance and definitely the pre-season #1 next season.

Last edited by shiaben; March 25th, 2014 at 10:38.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in