Andrew Wiggins - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2013, 23:25 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Andrew Wiggins

reportedly adidas is offering him a 10 year endorsement contract worth $180M...and this before he has played a single college game. Insane...

Of course he can't sign anything at the moment as he's an amateur "student athlete" at Kansas. he has to wait until next summer.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...andrew-wiggins

From what I've read several people who have seen a fair amount of his HS games think he's overrated and nowhere near LeBron's potential coming out of high school. In comparison LeBron got a $90M seven year deal from Nike when turning pro (and this proved to be a very lucrative deal for Nike).

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2013, 10:21
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: FC Barcelona
To think an ACL injury could deprive him of all that money. The NCAA is a retarted organisation. I can't believe these blue chip prospects even play college ball. Just go play pro-ball in Europe for a year or even the ****ing D-League. Risking 180M$ trying to conform to a blood sucking, leaching organisation like the NCAA. ****ing stupidity.

02/05/2009
Estadio : Santiago Bernabéu
Real Madrid 2 - 6 FC Barcelona
Higuain 14'
Thierry Henry 17'
Carles Puyol 20'
Lionel Messi 35'
Sergio Ramos 56'
Thierry Henry 58'
Lionel Messi 75'
Gerard Piqué 82'
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2013, 12:41
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: INTER
There's already a thread for him I think

edit: https://www.xtratime.org/forum/showth...s#post11377369

Anyways my opinion on him from that thread remains, I haven't seen a superstar yet. Potential maybe - but that's a long way to go and not everyone have that fire and work ethic to fulfill it, and betting that he does would be a very risky bet, despite having all the physical/athletic tools.

I was very impressed by him when he was 16 playing against guys 2 years older then him, due to his ability and age, with the room for improvement for a 16 year old - but 1-2 years later he still looked the same and that's a big red flag for me.

There's reports coming up that the 180 million deal with Adidas might be a hoax, btw.

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.

Last edited by Stanko 05; October 20th, 2013 at 12:47.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old October 20th, 2013, 14:37 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Well, he can't sign anything as long as he remains in college so it's all a speculation. If his freshman year in Kansas exposes major weaknesses then it might be that the hype dies down somewhat and adidas backs out.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2014, 22:49 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

bump

opinions so far? oh wait nobody watches the Wolves...

a bit of a rough start for him but I see a lot of promise there.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2014, 22:52 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

oh and his shoe deal with adidas which was finally signed this summer was reported to be $10-$12M over five years and not $180M lol

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2014, 11:59
The one who was Bella
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: INTER
He's playing just as I expected so far from over a year ago.. nothing more nothing less.

Good make up of a player, but he will need to work hard and have that inner drive to be a true great and fulfill his potential to answer the proclamations so many people had regarding him when they fell into the blind hype train of youtube mixes and herd-opinion.

Right now he doesn't stand out at anything outside his physical and athletic tools.

Don't waste your time on jealously; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind.

The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2014, 13:54
Legend

The kid should compete in jump competitions at the olympics. His feet get so high off the ground.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2014, 14:18 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Watched Wolves play vs Houston and San Antonio...he was pretty bad at both. Completely clueless at half court offense, doesn't have the moves to beat a defender once he's set, doesn't trust his outside shooting at all...can only pose real danger at fast breaks where he can use his speed. He's also not that solid in defense yet, loses his man on rotations etc. Pretty shocking 6/1/0/0stl box score (3-13 shooting) in 34 minutes vs Spurs.

You can say he's young but other Wolves young players like LaVine, Bennett, Muhammad and Dieng are actually outperforming him and looking more confident.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2014, 14:30 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

As a side note, Zach LaVine (who now plays as a starting PG as Rubio and Mo Williams are both injured) is looking quite good. Very comfortable with the ball and quite patient in looking for opportunities...doesn't chuck shots and spreads the ball well.

But of course nowhere as good in defense as Rubio.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2015, 04:06
Legend

Teams: Los Merengues, La Furia Roja, Teem Melli
Wolves rookie Andrew Wiggins became just the third teenager in NBA history to score 20 points or more in six straight games (Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James are the other two).
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2015, 08:22 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

It's funny to point out that some of his advanced stats (win shares, OBPM, DBPM) are atrocious and even ones like PER and true shooting % are pretty bad. According to these, the only effective player among the Wolves young guns seems to be Dieng. The eye test confirms it IMO.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2015, 09:23
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: FC Barcelona
Haven't seen him play much. But most people seem to think he's played really well the last few games.

02/05/2009
Estadio : Santiago Bernabéu
Real Madrid 2 - 6 FC Barcelona
Higuain 14'
Thierry Henry 17'
Carles Puyol 20'
Lionel Messi 35'
Sergio Ramos 56'
Thierry Henry 58'
Lionel Messi 75'
Gerard Piqué 82'
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2015, 15:49 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

maybe...I haven't seen those. In earlier games he tended to struggle...even those games where his box score looked okay he wasn't efficient and decisive enough to really help his team.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2015, 04:32
Legend

He's ballin' right now.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old January 27th, 2015, 21:18 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

He'll run away with the Rookie of the Year title for sure, not much competition there with Parker and Embiid and Randle out for the season and guys like Gordon and Smart also struggling with injuries...

Wiggins is not very effective out there (to put his current skills and decision-making in perspective: he's only their 10th best player by PER and his 12.7 is lower than league average) but Wolves being what they are this season because all of the vet injuries...he's handed a lot of responsibility in his young age. So he's in a perfect position to try and improve his game in a low pressure situation (given that it's now a tank season in Minnesota).

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2015, 00:02
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
Moving to Minnesota was probably a blessing in disguise for Wiggins. In Cleveland, the team would have a 'win-now' attitude and he could have lost playing time if he hit a rookie slump, and maybe hurt his development. He also would never have had a chance to be the main guy on his team with LeBron there.

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old February 2nd, 2015, 03:36
Legend

33 points last night.

https://vine.co/v/OtDV3ghuHIA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in